To Sell or Not to Sell...LC9

This is a discussion on To Sell or Not to Sell...LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a thread recently about trimming/refining my "inventory"...I have a very lightly used Ruger LC9 w/the Lasermax fitted that I am debating whether or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: To Sell or Not to Sell...LC9

I posted a thread recently about trimming/refining my "inventory"...I have a very lightly used Ruger LC9 w/the Lasermax fitted that I am debating whether or not I should keep. Here is my current collection and their respective roles:

Bushmaster C15 .223/5.56: HD long gun / sporting rifle, I also occasionally fantasize about shooting the idiots across the street who think partying at their pool at 3am on a Wednesday is normal(I'm kidding...mostly).
    Glock 26gen4: EDC, not going anywhere, great gun.
    HK P2000SK 357: Occasional CCW, costs a lot to shoot but I like the gun and the caliber.
    Taurus 24/7G2 Compact .45: HD gun (w/light)
    Kel Tec PF9: Currently for sale at a LGS.
    Taurus 740: Currently for sale at a (different) LGS, getting out of .40 entirely.

Which brings me to the LC9, I like how it is slim and packs 9mm power in a small package and doesn't totally suck to shoot it but I have had some significant reliability issues. Another factor is that it really isn't that much smaller or lighter than the G26 with the 10rd mag (or even the 12rd) and the Glock is much more a fighting gun than the LC9, which I'm pretty sure was designed by Ruger's general counsel (mag safety, manual safety, heavy/long trigger, slide lock only, internal lock AND cable lock). I don't dislike shooting the gun, but to me it just seems redundant and not a fit for my needs/wants. Add to that the fact that the resale value I think is pretty decent. As a result I'm considering selling it. Should I?

I can for see using proceeds from a potential sale in two ways:

1) Get a super small .380 for use while jogging, at the pool, etc. Basically when I need a super small and light gun smaller than the G26. The Bodyguard 380, LCP and TCP 738 fall into this category.

2) Get a large size (5" or so) 9mm, be it either a G34 or a 1911 pattern (a 1911 purist somewhere just knifed himself when I wrote that). I thought about a G17, but really a 34 makes the most sense since I want to get into IDPA in the next year or so and if I'm going to go large frame Glock I may as well get as much barrel as I can.

What should I do? Should I sell the LC9? What should I ask for it?

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Has the LC9 been back to Ruger to address the reliability issues? I would move the Taurus pistols if it were me but I understand wanting to get rid of a pistol that you have lost faith in. In my area the LC9's (when you can find one) sell quick for MSRP and a few bucks more.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Not sure what you should ask for the LC9, but I'd suggest amending your post regarding the neighbors and your occasional fantasy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You like the glock 26 better so dump the ruger and maybe keep the pf-9 as the smaller lighter 9mm carry. Only new Taurus we have in the family is the TCP380 and theres 2 in the family and I do have to say for a micro pistol it is a great little pistol. May think about selling the hk and buy a glock35 and a 357sig barrel or 9mm conversion for lower cost range /fun gun. Atleast 2 of your pistols would then feel alike and do away with the ultra heavy DA trigger of the HK. Don't need to many half sized pistols that all work so differently.

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I WOUDN'T post things about shooting your neighbors online. But on to the guns, if you don't like shooting the LC9 and it has had reliability issues, ya I'd probably sell it too.
    If you do sell it and look to replace with something small, I'd consider a snub nose revolver.

And if it was me, I'd stop buying Taurus and Kel-tecs. But its your money.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Since we're fantasizing...maybe some high angle indirect mortar fire into the swimming pool resulting in loud booms, water spraying everywhere with the end game being a large mud hole where the pool used to be? That might curtail the weeknight parties, but that's just my warped way of thinking.

Just kidding of course...mostly. LOL!

Reliability issues would be the reason to pitch the LC9 if it were mine. However, if you haven't sent it off to Ruger to give them a chance to fix it, then I would do that first. If you HAVE sent it back and it still isn't right...bye bye!! Without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    You like the glock 26 better so dump the ruger and maybe keep the pf-9 as the smaller lighter 9mm carry. Only new Taurus we have in the family is the TCP380 and theres 2 in the family and I do have to say for a micro pistol it is a great little pistol. May think about selling the hk and buy a glock35 and a 357sig barrel or 9mm conversion for lower cost range /fun gun. Atleast 2 of your pistols would then feel alike and do away with the ultra heavy DA trigger of the HK. Don't need to many half sized pistols that all work so differently.
    I should have mentioned in my OP, my HK is the LEM trigger variant. I agree with what you said about having too many different half sized pistols that all work differently and the ability to standardize them going forward. A G35 with a 357 Sig barrel is probably the most powerful semi auto handgun at that size/weight not in 10mm possible. The 357 Sig is designed to function in a 4" or longer barrel, 5.3" will get that round absolutely screaming (1500fps at 125gr) with less flash and blast (if you haven't ever fired 357 Sig from a short barrel, the blast and sound are like a .44 magnum).

The LCP seems way too expensive for what it is, the TCP is roughly half the price (one mag, do you really need more?). I rarely see Bodyguards in stores around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    Since we're fantasizing...maybe some high angle indirect mortar fire into the swimming pool resulting in loud booms, water spraying everywhere with the end game being a large mud hole where the pool used to be? That might curtail the weeknight parties, but that's just my warped way of thinking.

Just kidding of course...mostly. LOL!

Reliability issues would be the reason to pitch the LC9 if it were mine. However, if you haven't sent it off to Ruger to give them a chance to fix it, then I would do that first. If you HAVE sent it back and it still isn't right...bye bye!! Without a second thought.
    Call in the willie pete?

Ruger had it already, it has issues with the slide not going into battery when the slide is racked with the chamber empty and a full mag inserted and also has hung the first round halfway in the chamber several times, I'm done with it and all single stack 9mm weapons in general.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    MLJ_17 There are around 5 or 6 versions of the TCP 380. Atleast the SS and black finished SS version come with 2 mags and some little belt pouch!! . Local prices run from 185 buck TCP380FS with 1 mag black oxide finished model up to 260 for the TCP380 BSS 2 mag black on stainless steel model with pouch, So watch out when buy'n . We have both a basic FS and a SS model and a few extra mags . My 100lb youngest girls carries a TCP as her most often grabbed CC along with my wife .

Yes I have shoot a couple mid frame glocks in 357sig. I can see how the longer barrel would get the most out of that cartridge. There are some rather stout 40cal's from underwood ammo too. My 40sw load is a xtp 155gr bullet that runs out a 4" barrel kahr at 1300fps. Not bad ether. The heavier .355 bullets don't seem to work as well in the 357sig but it sure does shine with the 124gr bullets. Spreer makes a GD that is a bit heavier constructed bullet to work better at those higher velocities in the sig. I Like the 9mm in my UL pistols but don't use normal production HP ammo. Only some of the speedier versions I have chronied and know scoot along in a short barrel and expand. Looks of not so great stuff out there for sure. I am getting 1164fps out of a cm9 with a 124gr GD almost 1200fps from the cw9 for really concealed carry. Have the hot rod 40sw for when a cover shirt or jacket is used.

The reason I was pushing another glock was atleast for carry changing handgun size but stay'n with in a family or style of pistol makes for fewer mistakes if something ever goes sideways on you.
    Good luck with what you end up with.

I have these battles in my head all the time. It's the curse of gun ownership!

I'd vote to sell the LC9. It's a legal nanny on steroids with all those darn safeties and that trigger belongs in the museum of things not to do with a firearm.

I would suggest option 1, it makes sense to have something small for when you can't carry the g26. Perhaps, instead of a .380, an LCR? I find your lack of revolvers disturbing.

You need a small, "pocket" pistol of some sort. Everybody does. IMHO, dump all (ALL) the Tauri. Either keep the LC9 or buy a j-frame.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Which brings me to the LC9,........... As a result I'm considering selling it. Should I?

I can for see using proceeds from a potential sale in two ways:

1) Get a super small .380 for use while jogging, at the pool, etc. Basically when I need a super small and light gun smaller than the G26. The Bodyguard 380, LCP and TCP 738 fall into this category.

2) Get a large size (5" or so) 9mm, be it either a G34 or a 1911 pattern (a 1911 purist somewhere just knifed himself when I wrote that). I thought about a G17, but really a 34 makes the most sense since I want to get into IDPA in the next year or so and if I'm going to go large frame Glock I may as well get as much barrel as I can.

What should I do? Should I sell the LC9? What should I ask for it?
    I bought a LC9 and had the same dilemma. I have a Glock 27, 35, Sig 239, and an LCP I carry regularly. The LC9 was slimmer, but still large enough that I could carry the G27 or Sig239 just as easy, and if I really needed something small and light the LCP just fit the bill better. So I sold the LC9. I'd get a Bodyguard or LCP if I was you to fit the super small and light & a BUG, and then use your G26 for carry when you can/want to carry something bigger.

I sold mine for the exact price I paid for it, tax and all, they sell pretty easy around here. And I haven't regretted selling the LC9 one bit, not that it was a bad gun at all, I just already had all the bases covered, so it was not needed.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Id swap the LC9 for a nice 12ga for your house, then swap the Taurus for the Glock. Then just do some shopping around and find a really small pocket gun you like for when you need the lightest carry possible.

Question: If you didn't have absolute confidence that a smoke alarm would perform for you-every time when needed- would you keep it? If you couldn't depend on your brakes to stop your car when necessary, would you replace what was needed or just keep driving with what you had? Brakes and smoke alarms are emergency equipment. So is your gun. If you don't have absolute confidence that your LC9 will perform for you when the chips are down, lose it and get something else that fits your needs better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links