Semi-auto pocket pistol

Semi-auto pocket pistol

This is a discussion on Semi-auto pocket pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a pocket pistol in .380. I was hoping the Kahr cw 380 would be hitting shelves by now but nobody ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Semi-auto pocket pistol

Semi-auto pocket pistol

I'm in the market for a pocket pistol in .380. I was hoping the Kahr cw 380 would be hitting shelves by now but nobody that I've asked has seen one yet. The 3 I go back and forth on are the LCP, P3AT, and TCP. I hate to admit it based on Taurus' reputation but I really like that little gun. It's the only one that locks back on an empty mag, comes with 2 mags, and is only $225! All of the gun shops I talk to say Taurus has worked out all of the kinks on this gun and its their best offering at quality. Next is the LCP which I also like. It's about $100 more, 1 mag, manual slide lock. Haven't heard any complaints from people that own them. If you have one of these 3 give me your $.02 please. By the way the sig p 238 and Kahr p 380 are out because of the price tags.

Buy the LCP and you won't have to worry about working out those "kinks".
    10thmtn and gottabkiddin like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I own the Kahr P380, Ruger LCP and the used to own the Kel-Tec P32. My favorite of the three is the Kahr P380. The trigger is leagues above the other two and the sights are actually useful. The Kahr also locks back on an empty chamber. The Ruger and Kel-Tec do not. The Kahr P380 will also accept +P .380ACP rounds, even though there is no SAAMI specifications. The Kahr is also the smallest of the three.

The only downside of the Kahr was that I had to run 200+ rounds through it before I could get the slide to lock back reliably.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    You might also want to look at the S&W Bodyguard 380. Prices is in the range of the LCP, 2 mags, slide locks back on last round and comes with integrated laser. Dimensions and weight are about the same as the LCP as well.
    rugergunner and Buckeye63 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Kahr
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I would go with the one that fits you best and you like the best. I would have no problems with a Taurus myself and quite frankly I myself am going to get a TCP as soon as all of the preppers stop panic buying up all of the .380 ammo to defend their Ramen noodles. I myself have a Beretta Nano that I absolutely love and it was beat like a dead horse on all of the forums for issues that I guess I was lucky never to realize. Had a chance several times at a Shield (you know the second coming of Christ gun) but just didn't like it. I have found to go with your gut and what YOU like, not the opinions of others. It is your gun that you will shoot and carry with you to defend yourself. Now I know I will be beat up about the Taurus being unreliable. Really ????? Well let me list ALL of the pistols (including the second coming of Christ gun) and their so called issues and I will be typing way into the evening. If I would have followed the advice of the numerous out there on what gun I should buy because THEY like it, I would be down to a spear and following the forums to see what slingshot is the best to buy. Go get that TCP PPS9 and stop by a preppers house and barter for some .380 ammo (I have found Beef Flavored Ramen Noodles Work best for bartering) and have fun.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I have a P3AT and a LCP 380; both are good pocket pistols.
    The Ruger seems more durable (subjective) but the Kel-Tec has a (lighter) better trigger.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

micro desert eagle

CSG
    I looked at a few when it came time to upgrade from my .25 ACP Beretta Jetfire. The LCP was the best fit for me. I paid $309 for the base model but ended up adding a Lasermax, Hogue grip, and two spare mags, not to mention a convertible front/back pocket Bear Creek holster. I liked the Sig but the LCP was a simpler design and a lot cheaper. Completely satisfied with my choice. If the Kahr is reliable, that would be another possibility. I had to send my PM9 back to Kahr twice and while it's now fine, it sort of soured me on Kahrs.

Have you looked into the LC380? I love my lcp however never had one single issue with it has been %100 reliable I also do not like the slide doesnt lock back but it is my backup so if the 14-30 shots I normally carry dont do the trick that will have to do.

You don't have to search too long to hear issues with Taurus guns, and worse, their customer service. Ruger's customer service, in contrast, is almost universally praised. My own experiences with Ruger back that up.

We own three LCPs - my wife one and myself two. With warmer weather, my usual carry is both LCPs (one in each front pocket), plus two spare mags in a mag holster in my back pocket. That gives me 26 rounds in a very comfortable and concealed carry system. I ran my LCP through a low light pistol class, and I have little doubt it will do the job if I do mine.

You will hear folks bash the LCP trigger and sights. I solved the sight issue by using CT lasers, which I have on all my defensive handguns. The trigger does not bother me at all, but my understanding is that Ruger shortened the pull (and improved the sights) on never LCPs (no dash in the serial number).

Improvements I've made to ours include the use of the finger extension on the mag (makes a big difference in recoil control) and painting the front sight (base of white nail polish and two coats florescent red model paint).

I have had so many issues with Kahr (I've owned 4) that I won't even go there... The locking open on an empty mag feature is just not worth all the associated headaches you get with Kahr poly pistols (break in, ammo sensitivity, mags that may or may not drop free, mags that split along the weld seam, mags that drop ammo in your pocket when carried as a spare, nose dive jams, may or may not be able to rack the slide to chamber a round or eject a dud without a nose dive jam, etc etc etc).

Really, no need to look further than the LCP. They are the most popular gun sold at Bud's (last I checked) for a reason.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have the ruger LCP and love the piece of mind in knowing that it is ultra dependable.

Don't want to have to think twice if it will work properly if I ever have to use it.
    franco45 likes this.

I would recommend a pistol with a bit more power such as the Kahr CM9. While bigger than the LCP, 3AT, CW380, its much easier to shoot
    well than any of the .380's. I pocket carry the CM9 daily with no issues. JMO.

Buckeye63 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

While I am not a Taurus fan and do own an LCP, from what I heat Taurus got the little 380 right. My nephew has both and is happy with both.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

PPS9 - check out this review of the TCP. VERY interesting, very.
    Gun Review: Taurus 738 TCP | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links