Talk to Me About the Glock 34/35

This is a discussion on Talk to Me About the Glock 34/35 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any owners of one of the long slide Glocks on here? I'm thinking of getting a large frame model and realize that the 34/35 is ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By 1gunsnowbird

Thread: Talk to Me About the Glock 34/35

Talk to Me About the Glock 34/35

Any owners of one of the long slide Glocks on here? I'm thinking of getting a large frame model and realize that the 34/35 is the same size as the 17/22 but with more barrel to it. I want to use this gun for the range and possibly for competition as well as an option for HD with a light mounted. I especially like the look of the FDE frames also, does anyone have any thoughts on the G34 or 35?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The 34 is one of the best range/competition guns you can get. With a WML it would serve very well for home defense.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I am really kicking myself for not buying a G34 I came across last year. In my opinion the G34 is the way to go if you are trying to shoot quickly or compete. I am a fan of .40s&w, but If you are buying a gun for competition/fun factor the 9mm will be the ticket when ammo starts being more available in my opinion

VIP Member
    The G34 is the bees knees. I've shot one in competition and they are very good.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

What about the 34C? Or is compensating a 5.3" 9mm barrel kind of pointless? The main reason I ask is that I'd like to use +P+ ammo in it and feel like that barrel length would get the maximum benefit of the loading.

I see no point in compensating a 9mm .. Even +p+ wont have the recoil of larger calibers.

My steel match shooting buddy uses a G35. The slightly longer barrel puts a little more weight out front and has a longer sight radius. I believe the mag release has a higher profile than standard, as well. He's a smooth shooter and does well with just about anything he picks up, but the G35 has been sufficiently accurate and quite reliable for the 3 years he's had it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm not a fan of compensated GLOCKs. I have never found one that NEEDED to be compensated.

Also, if you use it for home defense, there is the possibility of loosing your night vision from the muzzle flash on a compensated barrel.

That's my personal opinion. You should do what makes you happy.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Hello
    I have the 17 L & also a 35 ,
    both are a treat to take to the range , a pleasure to shoot .
    recommed either / or why not both ??

VIP Member
    Comps work better with hotter rounds. A standard or +p 9mm just doesn't need it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I agree that a compensator isn't necessary, AND it will either move you into a different class in IDPA or not be allowed in IDPA matches.

I've owned both and if I were to do it all over again, I'd get a Gen 4 Model 34. I believe they began using the double recoil spring assembly, which makes the recoil about as light as you can get for fast double taps. I also believe if you looked at the IDPA Tactical Journal that always lists the various guns being used at the national match every fall, you'll find the G34 is far and away the most popular gun.

Loaded with Federal 115-grain +P+ hollow points (9BPLE), you will be getting terminal performance about equal to .357 magnum full power loads.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

OK so I went to an LGS today and fondled the 35, it's kind of funny that it isn't as large in person as it looks in pictures (I held it next to a 19), I don't plan to carry it but I could conceivably do so if I wanted to (roughly the size of a full size 1911). I'm sold on the design, but I have a few more questions and observations:

-Compensated is out, there really isn't a point in 9mm and the flash in a HD scenario is a bad thing. Also, I didn't know about the rules of various competitions forbidding them, that would have been a pain down the line.

-What is the story on the 17L? I see it online and someone above mentions having one. Is this model regularly sold in the US?

-34 or 35? I plan to use it in 9mm but the idea of being able to use 357 Sig out of a barrel this length (5.3") is very appealing. A barrel to achieve that would cost about $120 more. I have a G26 that is my EDC and have been trying to standardize most of my guns into 9mm and .45ACP.

-Black or FDE? My 26 is black*, the FDE I think looks cool (personal preference) and is a conversation piece. Functionally I know it doesn't matter but it will determine when/where I buy one most likely. I don't car much for the OD green Glocks.

*Be very careful when talking about your "Black Glock", it is vital to properly enunciate your words so as to avoid any unpleasantness!

Links