XS 24/7 BigDot Review....

This is a discussion on XS 24/7 BigDot Review.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I picked up my Ruger SR40C this week after having my local smith install some XS 24/7 Bigdots on it. For those who may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XS 24/7 BigDot Review....

So I picked up my Ruger SR40C this week after having my local smith install some XS 24/7 Bigdots on it. For those who may be unfamiliar with these sights, they are designed as purely a combat sight. They are meant to be quick to acquire, easily visible in all light conditions, and just generally awesome. So far they fit this bill quite well.

Initial impressions:
    These sights are heavy. When I took them out of the package I was surprised at just how heavy they were. Substantial is a good descriptor. The rear has a very thick base, and the front blade is quite wide. The white ring is very crisp and clean with no blemished edges. The tritium had a nice bright glow and was easily seen in low light. In the dark, they provide a glowing green ball that nestles on top a glowing green line. In low light, the tritium glows brightly, giving you a nice contrasting sight to use.

After installation:
    The sights look like they belong on my ruger. I highly recommend gunsmith installation. My smith said that they were a hair over-sized and required a little bit of fitting to install. Personally this is my preference as he was able to pressure fit them into the sight dove tails, negating the need for any locktite. On the gun the sights look great. They fit the look very well, and follow the easy point of aim of my ruger. One thing to keep in my mind, is that the front sight is quite a bit taller than a normal sight, and may not fit, or may interfere, with some holsters. I use a SHTF Gear and a Foxx Holsters little foxx and it works just fine in these, but these also have a sight channel molded into them so I have had no no issues.
    Attached Images
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Thumbs up

Taurahe,

Nice review and photos.

I use the Big Dot Express sights on my Glock 19 and 23 and they are quick to access at defensive ranges from 15 yards and in with the point of impact within the dot.

For distances past 25 yards the the point of impact is the top of the dot. They are great for these old eyes of mine and have allowed me to qualify yearly for my HR-218 (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004) well past my 60th birthday.

photo.jpgXS Big Dot Express Sights
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Great choice. I think you'll enjoy them a lot. I have them on my Kahr PM9 and it's so easy to get on target fast. I've heard the Rugers are good guns, but every time I see one I smirk at the factory sights....way too small/skinny for my personal liking.

I used my Kahr PM9 about 30% of the time during my TDI Handgun 1-3 course a couple of years ago and was ringing the steel with the XS sights right along with everybody else!

DP

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have them on all my guns. Great sights. Installation was fairly simple. And if you are very farsighted like I am, they truly help with target acquisition.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have stock sights on my Glock 22, and they are meh. I shot a 1911 with the sights that have the 2 dots in the rear and the 1 dot up front. Much better. Ive always wanted to try these XS Big Dot on my Glock.

Think I might take the plunge eventually.

I dont care for three dot sights on my defense pistols...i always want to spend to much time lining them up. I took the chance and will hopefully be able to hit the range soon to try them out

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

image.jpg I have them on my snubs so easy for fast aquistion perfect for small guns

I vote for Big Dots also!

I have old eyes and also wear trifocals.

After installing the Big Dots I colored them for even better contrast against all colors of target material.

I can pick them up very quickly on both the midrange and distance portions of my trifocal lenses.

They are certainly not super-accurate target sights, but they are excellent defensive sights.

Bobo
    varob likes this.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Hey Bob O,

Those look really nice, did you do that, or did you have it done?
    If so, what was the procedure?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I use Big Dot Express sights on my "social" guns. I have installed them all myself with no problems at all and they have held their position through thousands of round. I have them on:

CZ 2075 RAMI
    Sig Sauer P290
    A pair of Rem 870 shotguns

CZ-82

21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Taurahe can you update us when you go shoot, I really wish I could try a set before I buy a set..

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Taurahe can you update us when you go shoot, I really wish I could try a set before I buy a set..
    I will let you know this afternoon :)
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Hey Bob O,

Those look really nice, did you do that, or did you have it done?
    If so, what was the procedure?

For the front sight I used acrylic craft paint. Is is really inexpensive (less than $1 a bottle) and it will do your front sight thousands of times. Although once will probably be enough. I did mine almost a year ago and it hasn't worn one bit yet. You can get it at any craft store such as A.C. Moore, Michael's, Ben Franklin, etc. Most any brand will work just fine. This is the type of paint I'm talking about...
    DecoArt - Product Information.

It tried the paint on the rear sight, but couldn't get it smooth and bright enough. So I ordered a roll of this tape...
    Tape Brothers Fluorescent Green 1" x 10 yards Premium Cast Vinyl Tape

Again, it's been on for almost a year and has virtually zero wear. And one roll will do hundreds of sights.

BTW, I wasn't sure which kind of tape would be best, so I talked to a guy at Tape Brothers. I told him what my purpose was and he suggested the tape above. He said he uses it on his rifle sights.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Shooting Update:

Stopped by the range for a few minutes just to try them out. They work fantastic at 10 yds or less I can easily empty a mag under controlled fire into the COM kill zone with room to spare. It is literally put the ball on their just and pull. Longer distances were a little bit slower, but not bad. You use the top ofth e sight for longer distances so it was different. I am confident out to around 20 meters tops, but I would never shoot that far unless I had dire need. for SD purposes the big dots are spot on the money
    Sap03 likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

New Member Array JUSTANOTHERGUY's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. I just got a XDs and want to install those. What Gunsmith installed them? I live in Greenwood.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links