Glock 20 - did I get the right HD gun?

This is a discussion on Glock 20 - did I get the right HD gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I needed a dedicated HD gun that's by my nightstand all the time and I picked up the 10mm Glock 20 yesterday. Pumped 150 rounds ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Glock 20 - did I get the right HD gun?

I needed a dedicated HD gun that's by my nightstand all the time and I picked up the 10mm Glock 20 yesterday. Pumped 150 rounds thru it - a combination of 180 grain range ball ammo (which I suspect are the "10mm lite type" ammo with watered down velocities) and full power 180 grain buffalo bore. It ran flawlessly except for one easily cleared stovepipe due to me girly handling the one shot.

The gun is just mean. Has a stout kick, makes big pretty holes in paper, and is a Glock thru and thru. I definitely shot it well enough to trust it in a real home invasion. I was feeling pretty good about the buy.

But there are things that make me not 100% giddy about it. Ammo seemed pretty scarce and crazy expensive 70 cents per round at my local range! And I keep hearing many people say the .357 sig, .45 ACP and even the .40S&W do "just as good" as the 10mm.

So while I love this new behemoth of a gun and it has been put into immediate HD duty loaded with full power buffalo bore jhp's underneath my bed in a quick access lockbox, did I just buy a gimmick? Would I have done better with a Glock 21, 22, 30 or even a full size G17 9mm - all of which are more affordable and common calibers compared to the 10mm?

Looking for some reassurance from those with experience with the 10mm round.

Pic of my two go-to HD guns: my LCR which I don't carry anymore (to hand to my wife when shtf) and my new Glock 20 with LED light attached):

VIP Member
    It's far from a gimmick, but IMO it isn't going to fill the HD role any better than your G19 would.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one (I could say that about darn near every gun), but I don't see any significant reason to pick it over something you already own (unless you don't own the 19 any longer).

I'd keep it and enjoy. Get into reloading and you will save some money on those rounds too!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

That is a badass gun...if you can shoot it well you should have no regrets. 10mm power is amazing. I have only shot a friends.

James - www.guardianconcealment.com

The G20 is quite capable of dispatching any would be intruder...be it man or beast!

I had a 10mm 1911 once and the only reason I got rid of it was due to the gun being unreliable. Other than that...it is my belief that the mighty 10mm is a niche cartridge that has a very loyal following. Kind of like the 357 Sig.

As long as you can afford to feed it and can find food for its hunger, then I say you did damn good on getting a dedicated home defense gun. I don't think you ever have to worry about it being referred to as a pip squeak, LOL!!

Enjoy that behemoth!

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    It's far from a gimmick, but IMO it isn't going to fill the HD role any better than your G19 would.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one (I could say that about darn near every gun), but I don't see any significant reason to pick it over something you already own (unless you don't own the 19 any longer).

I'd keep it and enjoy. Get into reloading and you will save some money on those rounds too!
    I'll never get rid of my 19! That's crazy talk lol! But I carry my 19 so it's set up for that and doesn't sit in a lockbox (it's in a safe). I wanted something more potent and the 10mm feels like I'm throwing VW Beetles down range compared to the soft recoiling 19. It feels good and I don't give up any round count - the 20 still holds 15 rounds per mag.

I like your comment about reloading. Rounds as expensive as this one makes sense to reload. I could never justify reloading cheaper stuff like 9mm. But this, .45 and .223 will probably push me into the wonderful world of reloading indeed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I'll never get rid of my 19! That's crazy talk lol! But I carry my 19 so it's set up for that and doesn't sit in a lockbox (it's in a safe). I wanted something more potent and the 10mm feels like I'm throwing VW Beetles down range compared to the soft recoiling 19. It feels good and I don't give up any round count - the 20 still holds 15 rounds per mag.
    I thought you bought the 26 to carry? Dang man, why don't you buy me a gun or two? I'm a nice guy and I promise to take really good care of it!
    DJC7 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I thought you bought the 26 to carry? Dang man, why don't you buy me a gun or two? I'm a nice guy and I promise to take really good care of it!
    I co-EDC my 19 and 26. 19 by default. 26 when I am dressed lightly. I still like the draw stroke, grip, aim, softer recoil and more rounds of the 19. I also shoot my 19 better. The 26 is a compromise in my book but not much of one because its such a sweet shooter.

you did good. i got the little brother glock 23 (40s&w) i use it for my home defense night stand gun and concealed carry. i also have a G21 45auto i use it for my couch gun were i always sit. id like to have a 10mm but i would probly only use it when im in the woods for true stopping power. id rather have 10 to 15 rounds of 10mm then 6 rounds of 44 mag any day.. get a hogue grip or some kind of rubber grip for it. i got one for both of my glocks and it gives you way more grip

You've picked up a good gun. If you ever go camping you are more than set.

If we could hunt with semi auto handguns in Indiana I would buy a 10mm in a heart beat. aside from that I just cant see it filling any role that my G22 wont.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

There's not a damn thing wrong with your new Glock...... And being a service sized pistol it will make a great home defense firearm.......and if a bear shows up......you can take him out also. No need to get into a caliber debate......although I do favor the old 45acp and carry one every day.

When I see folks acquiring firearms on a not-so-common caliber I ALWAYS suggest that they consider loading their own at home. It will save you a BUNCH of money, and more importantly (if you stockpile loading components) allow you to go shooting whenever YOU please without being held hostage buy your favorite ammunition supply company. That's what I did when I started shooting 45 Colt revolvers. Even before all this current craziness 45 Colt would cost you $48 a box..... I can reload the stuff for about $15 a box......plus I always have ammuniton for my Colt SAA and Ruger Vaquero and possibly new Uberti Winchester 1873 replica. You do have an initial setup cost, but you'll quickly recover that the more you shoot.

Enjoy your new pistol........
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    It it's a Glock.....it's all good.....However, in my neck of the woods, finding 10mm ammo is like finding a Texas Steer that gives milk..so you made a great choice, hope the ammo thingy works out soon........
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Guns are like shoes. You have to find one that works for you in your personal situation. Me, personally, I would not want the sharpness of a 10mm because I am a small, old, fat guy. I just would not be able to get off a second shot reliably. That does not seem to be an issue for you.

All my EDC and HD guns are of the same caliber. Much easier to stock that way. And if I ever HAVE to change guns, ammo will not be an issue.

I do not think you made a "wrong" decision in the gun, but ammo may be an issue. Perhaps you should have gone to my gun club's garage sale.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have owned and carried a Glock G20 for over twenty years now. The standard commercial rounds are a little hotter than the average .40 S&W. The hottest standard commercial rounds are the Winchester 175 grain Silvertips. The Buffalo Bore and Underwood rounds are at the hot end of .357 magnum and the low end of .41 magnum power levels. I have never tried the Double-Tap rounds due to their prices. It makes a great rural or woods carry gun for two legged or four legged critters. It is the last gun that would ever leave my collection.
    DetChris and Christopher67 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In my opinion, you have bought one heck of a pistol, for whatever purpose you want to use it for. If you want the power of the .40 round, you can find quite a few manufacturers that load their 10mm close to those specs. Or, there is this:
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Barrel M/20 Conversion to 40 S&W Stock Length - $114.95
    Then there are the rounds that you can find that are pushing .41 mag.

Another.Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Barrel M/20 Conversion to 357 Sig Stock Length - $114.95

also 9x25 Dillon http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...OD=954&CAT=241

Plus, with the .40 conversion, the weight of the G20 slide, the felt recoil of .40 will be less than normal.

I have lone wolf conversions for all of my Glocks. I even have a 10mm conversion for my G30SF. I can shoot 10mm too!

I say... WELL DONE!
    Last edited by AZJD1968; May 26th, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added link to 9x25 conversion
    DetChris likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links