If have 357 revolver but

This is a discussion on If have 357 revolver but within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If have 357 magnum revolver but practice with 38 special will the aim / sights / point of impact be the same when shooting full ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: If have 357 revolver but

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

If have 357 revolver but

If have 357 magnum revolver but practice with 38 special will the aim / sights / point of impact be the same when shooting full power 357 magnum rounds?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Bullseye target competition Yes. Defensive shooting, not enough to make a difference. The Adrenaline dump would effect your aim much more than the difference in loads.
    USM1976 likes this.

Different bullets have different point of impact. All 357 mag rounds don't even have the same point of impact. Even bullets with the same weight and velocity can have other design features that impact point of impact.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I practice with .38's trigger but always run at least one cylinder of social (.357) sometimes more. A drill we did on my last tactical team (Yes we used revolvers I'm dating myself). Run flat out to the seven yard line draw and fire as fast as you think you can. The "group" that results is not flattering but resembles what high stress can do to you.

I didn't notice much difference... on the first shot.

On the follow up shots, point of aim was still pretty much the same, but I found it was much harder and slower to get back on target for follow up shots when shooting .357 instead of .38 in my S&W 640 snubbie.

I usually carry .38s in it, with one "Hail Mary" .357 on the 5th shot, for that reason.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

At typical defensive distances I cannot see there being a significant difference that would be cause for concern. I would make sure that both loads shoot as close as possible and call it a day. Splitting hairs in this case really is not worth it. As long as your carry round hits where you point, that what matters. When I had a 357, i carried 38's mainly because I shot them so much better to the point it was very noticeable on my targets. All the power in the world does me no good if i cant put it in the kill zone.
    Inspector71 and SmokinFool like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I carry .38+p's in my mod 60 or SP shoots to point of aim at 25 feet easy for follow up shots use big dot on front of snubs.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Pretty much been said. I can't ad but to say play with it and see what you get. If the first one IS 357 and you're on target, the rest is academic. But there ain't no flys on a 38 or a +p. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Given the same bullet grain, .38 special should shoot a tad lower than a similar weight .357, but, as stated earlier, not enough to make a practical difference. If you intend to carry .357 rounds in your revolver for self defense, you may wish to consider practicing with these rounds at least part of the time because the difference in muzzle blast and recoil between these and .38's can be substantial, and can profoundly affect your shooting ability. A friend of mine who is a retired police officer told be about a policy in his department which allowed officers to qualify using .38 special ammunition even if they carried full house .357's as duty ammunition. When the policy was changed to require them to qualify with what they carry daily, many of the officers needed to retrain their shooting techniques in order to qualify with the magnum ammunition. I know that the price of .357 can be a deterrent to regular practice, but, in my opinion, it is advisable to work in at least a couple of cylinder fulls each range session.
    maxwell97 and ArmyCop like this.

Train with what you shoot.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    At typical defensive distances I cannot see there being a significant difference that would be cause for concern. I would make sure that both loads shoot as close as possible and call it a day. Splitting hairs in this case really is not worth it. As long as your carry round hits where you point, that what matters. When I had a 357, i carried 38's mainly because I shot them so much better to the point it was very noticeable on my targets. All the power in the world does me no good if i cant put it in the kill zone.
    ^^^This^^^

Distinguished Member
    Depends on the ammo. It is possible to get .38 spl that will shoot to the same point of aim to a specific .357 load. Ammo is not generic as some people think. There are variations within every caliber and part of the fun is finding the right combo to use. But as one poster stated, the differences usually will not matter much for self defense at average self defense distances.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I didn't notice much difference... on the first shot.

On the follow up shots, point of aim was still pretty much the same, but I found it was much harder and slower to get back on target for follow up shots when shooting .357 instead of .38 in my S&W 640 snubbie.

I usually carry .38s in it, with one "Hail Mary" .357 on the 5th shot, for that reason.

Just something to mentally chew on. If you can effectively draw and score with your first shot you might consider moving that hail mary full house 357 into the first round fired position. A solid hit from a .357 magnum is historically one of the best one shot man stoppers around. May not need the other four 38s and if you do the big damage is done on your first shot.
    Eric357 and ArmyCop like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Just something to mentally chew on. If you can effectively draw and score with your first shot you might consider moving that hail mary full house 357 into the first round fired position. A solid hit from a .357 magnum is historically one of the best one shot man stoppers around. May not need the other four 38s and if you do the big damage is done on your first shot.
    That's a good thought, though I see one argument against it - muzzle flash. If it's dark and the .357 fireball is going to kill your night vision, perhaps better to save it for last, then your eyes may have time to re-adjust while loading.

Between .38+P & .357.... at 50 yrds or anything past that, the difference is enough you really need to compensate for it. Up to that point, there will be some difference, but not enough to be concerned about. Also depends upon the barrel length of the handgun. A 3" barrel it's going to be different than out of a 6 " barrel.
    ArmyCop and wmhawth like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links