Quality small .22 caliber pistols?

This is a discussion on Quality small .22 caliber pistols? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My recreational guns are .22's and I have a lot of ammo stocked up for them. The only pistol is an M&P22, which is a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Quality small .22 caliber pistols?

Quality small .22 caliber pistols?

My recreational guns are .22's and I have a lot of ammo stocked up for them. The only pistol is an M&P22, which is a great gun, but it is the biggest pistol I have = not very conducive to carrying.

I have heard a lot of recommendations for a J frame. Along those lines what are some popular ones? Are any more accurate than others? I'd like to stay away from Taurus.

A friend of mine has a Jennings J-22 in his collection. I've never shot it. My friend claims it is very inaccurate. After reading a bit online it sounds like it has quite a following for being an unreliable pistol too. That having been said, are there any other options that are right inline with the J-22 that are reliable and accurate in a striker fired semi-auto chambered in .22?

2. Remove Ads

Are you wanting a 22 lr for defensive carry or for play? I will start the ball rolling and say the 22 should be a last resort for carry unless it is the only thing you can shoot. As far as small semi auto 22's go, how small are you wanting ? Beretta makes some very small single stack 22lr pistols.... bobcats I believe, but never shot one. The walther p22 is a very small framed 22 semi auto. I have shot a friends extensively and it is both accurate and reliable. I think it is too small in the grip imo, but still fun to play with. Ruger makes some very small revolvers in 22 lr, the LCR 22 LR and the SP101 22 LR. I havent played with the sr22 but I would assume it is around the same size as your mp 22
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

CSG
    I think quality and small are an oxymoron with most .22's. A cool possible might be Browning's Compact 1911 style .22.

Browning 1911-22,*Firearms, Product Family

...I didn't like the LCR...until I saw the .22 version...I also want the SP in .22...you pay more for quality...but it's worth it...
    ...you may also consider the above in .22Mag...

Don't know about semi autos but, if you end up looking for a revolver, I'd recommend both the LCR-22 and the SP101.
    Both of mine are very accurate, reliable(revolver) and hold 8 rounds.
    Quality guns made for practice and fun for cheap plinking.

...Colt and S&W have both made small frame .22 revolvers of highest quality...and price to match...Walther made the PP in .22...High Standard Dura-Matic and Sport King were reliable and inexpensive...still found used...
    ...I've had several High Standard Sentinel Deluxe and Snub 9-shot revolvers...the Timex of .22s...no longer in production...also made for J. C. Higgens...often found in pawn shops...had a trigger job done on my first one and paid $41.50 for the gun new...the trigger job was about $15...taught myself to shoot revolvers with it...thousands of rounds with flawless reliability...you should find them around $175-275...

DBS
    I have the SR22. It's a DA/SA semiauto with a hammer and a decocker/safety.

It is definitely small enough to conceal, if you've decided that .22LR is going to be your CC caliber. It's quite reliable with anything I've fed it and is plenty accurate enough for SD use.

I would urge you to consider a centerfire duty caliber for SD purposes, however.

Owned a .22 Taurus something or other revolver a while back. It was broken from the box and Taurus wanted me to pay to have it fixed, so I sold it. Never going to them again. I ended up with a Sig Mosquito. It's fun to shoot, but VERY picky about ammo. Many failures to feed/eject unless I use CCI. My dad and brother both own the Walther P22 and I love it. Such a blast to shoot. Wish I had more advice on wheel guns. Good luck!
    Romans 12:21

I have a Walther P22 also. Great for women and kids.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I alternate carry guns between 9mm and .40, depending on what I feel like carrying and what I am wearing, so I'm set there. I just have several thousand rounds of .22 so if I ended up out of the other rounds .22 would always give me something. I'd rather have a .22 than nothing at all.

....22 rimfire's not my first choice for defense, but it's service range goes from fun shootin' all the way to supper and from there to a good night's sleep...every gun enthusiast ought to have a good .22 handgun...I'm partial to revolvers because I learned on one...and from super-quiet CB caps to potent Stingers and Vipers, there are a lot of power options and a lot of jobs that can be done with a .22...

VIP Member
    Might look at the Bersa Thunder 22. As for the Jennings, I wouldn't walk away from it, I'd run as fast as I could.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

...Bersa's quality is legendary...I'd love to find that little one in satin nickel...

...worked the pawn business 5 years...when the boss was gone I wouldn't accept HiPoint, Lorcin, Raven, Jennings, Sterling, Phoenix, or RG...when he had had one dumped on him, I wouldn't show it to sell it...I'm just not attaching my name to any of those...and yet I've met folks who trust their lives to them...boils down to some is better than none...if it goes bang when it's supposed to...and doesn't when it's not....

My wife likes her J frame 351PD in 22 Mag. The J frame 38 was a little bit hard on her arthritic hands.
    If she had it to do over, her option might have been the Sp101 in 22LR.
    My choice is always a wheelie, as there is no chance of accidentally dropping the mag.
    Sp101 in 38/357 is the latest and most well liked in our collection. and will conceal very well.
    Go with what you like and let us drool when you post pix of your newest aquisition.
    Have a great day and remember what today stands for. TKH is soggy Oregon

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have several fun, small, quality .22lr pistols. Some are out of production but available on the used market, and may be excellent deals. I've tried the Walther P22 and sig Mosquito, but found them seriously wanting. Here are a few that have all worked well and been reliable and accurate enough for miles of smiles.

* My personal favorite is the Daewoo DP52. This is the best .22 I own in the small, fun, high quality arena. A better gun than the model it was cloned from, the Walther PP.
    * The Walther PPK/S is a nice pistol. Well made and accurate, but quite expensive. I don't own one yet but the new Walther Arms pistol may prove to be a great fun factor pistol... we'll see.
    * The Bersa T22 is a fun gun. Nowhere near the quality of the Walther or Daewoo, but at least it is fairly cheap.
    * Beretta makes some great .22s. I have an excellent 948, 70s and NEOS. All worth having. The NEOS may be the "best buy" of the modern plinkers.
    * My Browning buckmark isn't especially small, but it's a fantastic pistol. Very accurate, reliable and a fair price make the Buckmark a desirable purchase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links