Polygonal vs. traditional rifling?

This is a discussion on Polygonal vs. traditional rifling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a glock 23. I recently bought a threaded lone wolf barrel for it, and I noticed an improvement in my groupings. being threaded, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Polygonal vs. traditional rifling?

Polygonal vs. traditional rifling?

I carry a glock 23. I recently bought a threaded lone wolf barrel for it, and I noticed an improvement in my groupings. being threaded, the barrel does stick out an additional .5" past the slide.

I am curious, is the improvement in accuracy due to the traditional rifling in the LWD barrel, or could it just be attributed to the additional length?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

I'm going to have to say I seriously doubt length could be a factor in accuracy, a longer sighting plane would make "it easier" for most to shoot more accurately which I also do not believe could be a factor here since the sight radius isn't changed at all- and even so it would be measured in inches not fraction of an inch IMO YMMV

The Lone Wolf barrels have tighter chambers than OEM Glocks, according to my local gunsmith. My shooting aprtner bought a Lone Wolf for his G35 and he had numerous failures to completely chamber a round until the chamber was reamed a snick deeper. The generous chamber dimensions of the Glock probably favors reliability over accuracy
    HotGuns and Recon1342 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The Lone Wolf barrels have tighter chambers than OEM Glocks, according to my local gunsmith. My shooting aprtner bought a Lone Wolf for his G35 and he had numerous failures to completely chamber a round until the chamber was reamed a snick deeper. The generous chamber dimensions of the Glock probably favors reliability over accuracy

This... Tighter chamber are good for accuracy... Not reliability....

Well, on the bright side, with polygonal rifled barrels, you cannot shoot lead, lest it clog up the barrel and "blow" it up.
    With the aftermarket barrel, you should be able to handload your own super-accurate mixture of ammo. Good luck.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Horse hockey.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

SmokinFool likes this.

Senior Moderator
    You going to put a can on it? That's why the threaded barrel?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Well, on the bright side, with polygonal rifled barrels, you cannot shoot lead, lest it clog up the barrel and "blow" it up.
    With the aftermarket barrel, you should be able to handload your own super-accurate mixture of ammo. Good luck.
    The Glock prohibition against lead is, well, conservative. Yes, polygonal rifling will tend to pick up a little more lead if you shoot unjacketed bullets, but it's neither a death sentence nor a KB waiting to happen. If you have reasonable maintenance, lead bullets simply won't be an issue. Again, I offer my shooting buddy's G35 with 2+ years of lead bullets (in the range of 5000 rounds) shot with nothing more than an occasional swab of the bore as evidence of evil things not happening.
    HotGuns and Christopher67 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    This... Tighter chamber are good for accuracy... Not reliability....
    I have never contemplated accuracy vs. reliability until now. Reliability has always been my main concern. Guns and cars and homes - I'd pull my hair out if I had any left.

It's become painfully obvious that I need to move to smaller targets if I ever want any equilibrium back into my life.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    With a polygonal barrel and lead rounds, you just have to clean the gun more often and thoroughly. H&K uses them too, and they do just fine with lead rounds.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You going to put a can on it? That's why the threaded barrel?
    Eventually, yes, waiting on my tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Thank you for the one answer that actually addresses my question. I will put a caliper on the chamber tomorrow and post my results. And by the way, the lone wolf barrel has performed on par with the glock OEM flawlessly for going on 500 rounds.

And for the record I did not buy this to shoot unjacketed rounds. That aspect is completely irrelevant to the topic I was trying to discuss, so can we please stop the pointless debate about it?

Senior Moderator
    Just so you know, I've put lots of Lone Wolf barrels on Glocks that were threaded for suppressors and not had any issues with any of them.
    If you are loading subsonic ammo yourself, the biggest issue is to make sure that they do not exceed the recommended OAL.
    Lead is OK to use IF you have a can that is user serviceable. If not, its best to stick to jacketed bullets.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Thank you for the one answer that actually addresses my question. I will put a caliper on the chamber tomorrow and post my results. And by the way, the lone wolf barrel has performed on par with the glock OEM flawlessly for going on 500 rounds.

And for the record I did not buy this to shoot unjacketed rounds. That aspect is completely irrelevant to the topic I was trying to discuss, so can we please stop the pointless debate about it?
    I don't think a dial caliper will suffice for chamber diameter; you really need a telescoping inside diameter gage or gage pins for that measurement. However, you can use your caliper to measure the depth of the chamber, which was an issue in my friend's LW barrel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links