Sig P290rs -Vs- Walther PPS

This is a discussion on Sig P290rs -Vs- Walther PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about a smaller carry gun than my Glock19, After some research and Gun shop windows shopping, I'm seriously interested both guns. ( P290rs -- ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Easy8

Thread: Sig P290rs -Vs- Walther PPS

Thinking about a smaller carry gun than my Glock19,
    After some research and Gun shop windows shopping,
    I'm seriously interested both guns. (P290rs -- Walther PPS)
    I need more info about it. Pls, noNANO this time!

I actually did the same thing had the 290 pps and shield all on the counter trying to decide. I wanted a 9 mm an the trigger on the 290 was terrible, the pps had a good trigger but was a little large for what I wanted, went with the shield best trigger, slimest overall. If the p224 was out in 9mm i would have gone with it. Best overall but shield was second. I brought shield to the range shot really nice fed everything did have prob with mag falling out. Called smith they emailed me shipping label on the spot an got it back in 3 days great service. Now it shoots even better really like it.
    mook012 likes this.

I have no experience with the Sig. I can say that the first CCW pistol I ever purchased (6 years ago) was a Walther PPS. My EDC 99% of the time to this day is my Walther PPS. Unless pocket carry is absolutely critical for you, it is tough to go wrong with the Walther. Its thin, the trigger is pretty good, three different magazine sizes to adjust grip length, three different backstraps for grip size, and it seems to shoot better than its size would lend you to believe.

I'll put it this way: unless I MUST pocket carry, I carry my walther. for general social use I have never considered getting another pistol.

VIP Member
    I am going to be stating the obvious, but if you go with a Glock 26 you can use the larger magazines of the 19. It is a little chunky.

Of the two you listed, I would go with the Walther, a buddy of mine has it and it is a very nice weapon.

Since you are used to the Glock trigger you are probably not going to like the pull of the 290's trigger pull. Seems very long and heavy.

I am in the same situation trying to get a smaller 9 mm to carry rather than my G30SF and was going to get the Sig but hated the trigger. Another to consider would be the Kahr CM9/PM9. I am thinking that is the way I will go.
    Last edited by 54868; May 27th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.

I have the P290RS and I love it. Many people who aren't used to it complain about the trigger pull, but I've never had a problem with it. Never had a single hiccup of any kind and has fed everything I've stuck in it. It's my EDC. All that being said I also really like the Walther and will be getting one soon in .40

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I carry a PPS and am very happy with it. Have never had a single issue with around 800 rounds of all kinds through it. It conceals very easy and shoots like a much bigger gun. I was considering a shield but don't like a manual safety on my carry gun. Also looked at the kahr pm/cm and liked both, the Walther just felt better in my hand. I have since had 2 friends shoot mine and go buy one of their own. You figure out the mag release very quickly and it is really a great design once you get use to it.

Thanks guys for your help, So I'm completely fine having made my decision.

PPS!

I carry the Walther PPS 40S&W and I am very happy with it. It shoots more accurately than in probably should, conceals reasonably well and has shown to be reliable. I tried several different types of ammo and it has never given a problem except in the very beginning before it broke in. After about 200 rounds it has settled in nicely and I'm currently shooting Winchester bonded JHP. (Mostly because it was available!) I can't remember the last time I had any type of malfunction.

The PPS is, IMHO, an excellent choice.

VIP Member
    I have a PPS and it has proven to be a good CCW. Keep in mind that you might not like the mag release. Some people are fine with it, I'm not too much. BTW I am considering a Sig 290, its dimensions are less in length and height than the PPS if that matters to you at all. The PPS is thinner IIRC.

Good luck.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The PPS seems weird till you shoot it. Just a fun, accurate, easy to shoot little pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by .XX View Post
    Thanks guys for your help, So I'm completely fine having made my decision.
    Well, what did you decide??

Fwiw: PPS.

DBS
    I tried all three and settled on the PPS.

290: trigger is very long and heavy
    Shield: has a safety (that's a negative for me), fit and finish not quite on par with the Walther or the Sig.
    Walther: best trigger of the three, most accurate of the three, and 5-6 year track record of reliability.

I EDC the PPS and have been extremely happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wkmyers62 View Post
    I have the P290RS and I love it. Many people who aren't used to it complain about the trigger pull, but I've never had a problem with it. Never had a single hiccup of any kind and has fed everything I've stuck in it. It's my EDC. All that being said I also really like the Walther and will be getting one soon in .40

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    My experience to a tee. Never an issue of any kind with the 290rs. Trigger is a little long, but it is smooth.

Sponsored Links