Think I'll try something new

This is a discussion on Think I'll try something new within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I like the idea of pocket carry, I've not had much luck thus far. First attempt was a model 60. Just a bit heavy, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: Think I'll try something new

While I like the idea of pocket carry, I've not had much luck thus far. First attempt was a model 60. Just a bit heavy, heh-heh. I gave that gun to my father, and he loves it. Usually carries it in the Alessi Talon Plus that I got for it. Then I got a SIG 238. That carried much better, but was terribly picky about ammo. A picky gun is OK, and a 380 is OK, but a picky 380 is unacceptable. Away it went. Recently tried another 238, a Scorpion model (first one was the plain Nitron model). This one was just as picky as the first. Heck with that. It, too, went away.

I am getting a j frame this week, a 442. Yeah, it has the lock. It is the only j frame I have seen since January. I dropped it in my pocket, and there was very little weight. This gun is gonna carry well. I have always been a bit leery of an aluminum framed revolver, but if they didn't hold up, Smith wouldn't still be making them. Probably take a bit to get used to the trigger, and a bit more to get used to the snappy recoil (all chest beating aside, a 15oz gun has to buck).

And just got off the phone with Bob Mika. Ordered a holster last Friday, and he takes the time to call me about it. Pretty good service. Hope to have it before the trip to Montana next month.

Sounds like a pretty good rig. Can even get ammo for 38 and 38+P around here. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Sounds sweet let us know how it works for you.

Coincidentally...my pocket rig is a 442 in a Mika holster. LOL

It really only works in cargo shorts and feels like I'm carrying a wallet in my front pocket, but it's lightweight and comes out of the holster very easily. I think you'll like the setup.

VIP Member
    I have the 642 and the 637. Both are excellent for pocket carry and also carry very well in a remora holster.

Smith has a lifetime warranty so if anything goes wrong they will fix it. A trigger pivot pin broke on my 642 and I had a new on in less than two weeks turn around time.

They are snappy with +p but are very fine with standard loads.

Practice with it, they are a bit demanding of the shooter!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Can't go wrong wit a J frame sized revolver. I love my LCR and carry it often.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I carried a snubby for 20 years mainly in a front pocket. You may find that a longer 3 finger grip work just as well in your pocket. If so those Hogue and pachmayr soft rubber grips go a long way to aid control with hotter loads.

I changed over to a kahr cm9 a few years back for pocket cc and have other larger kahrs for iwb or open carry.

A revolver is the way to go for a pocket gun. The smaller the auto, the more problems appear, IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Re: recoil- my wife prefers to shoot her 442 than my steel frame 9mm compact.

Distinguished Member
    I went around the same block with a 238 (only took me once though). Then I went with an Air Weight. A Model 638 in my case. That was a few years ago and I wish I hadn't taken so long to get to it. In my case I was surprised at how quickly I gained proficiency with the thing. No issues at all with the aluminum frame, or alloy....whatever it is. Soon enough you'll probably not be concerned with the recoil of +P's. I was much more focused on sending a Silvertip load that hot down range, especially as it stacks up next to 380. Very wise decision IMO. A j frame is a versatile as you can get in a carry gun.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sponsored Links