First post, first carry gun, first gunbroker purchase.....PROBLEM??!!

This is a discussion on First post, first carry gun, first gunbroker purchase.....PROBLEM??!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, in preparation of Illinois hopefully getting CCW in the next few weeks, I decided to jump on a little revolver. I went with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, first carry gun, first gunbroker purchase.....PROBLEM??!!

Hello, in preparation of Illinois hopefully getting CCW in the next few weeks, I decided to jump on a little revolver.
    I went with a Charter Arms Off Duty .38.

Price was great with free shipping from a seller on gunbroker who said gun was new in box.

After receiving it, it looks like the darn barrel is shot out!!

Gun was spotless upon arrival, no turn ring, still greazy as can be under the grips, looked brand new to me....except for the barrel.

Rifling looks non existent, and looks like there's some slight pitting in there too....I haven't shot it yet, so I don't know if it'll keyhole or if accuracy will suffer.

I ran a brush through it with a touch of Hoppes, I don't want to use too much, because I've read that Hoppes can ruin the finish on these anodized aluminum coatings.

I filled out the online registration on Charters website for the warranty, would this be something they'd cover?
    Should I try to go after the seller on gunbroker?

Is this a normal looking bore for Charter?

Thanks everyone!!

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...psba4c18c3.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...ps28b3fa85.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04b28457.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Shoot it and see what happens. It looks the same as my Ruger SP101.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I don't know for sure, and I could be totally wrong on this but I have never heard any good things about Charter Arms but that was years ago and things may have changed...It is was not new you will not be able to register the new gun warranty.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Maybe the best thing to do would be to contact Charter Arms and see if they'll look at the pictures and give you some feedback.

I would agree that the rifling looks pretty thin, but I don't know a thing about CA, so it's tough to say how 'normal' that is.

Edit: I just checked my Ruger GP100 and depending on how the light hits it, it could look pretty similar. Those ridges can have a hard edge, or not, depending on the angle of the light.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If it doesn't have a turn ring, don't see how it was shot much.

I emailed the seller, I won't name his company name (unless it's okay?) VERY awesome guy btw!

He assured me he bought it from a dealer, and it was in fact NIB, only fired by the factory.

He also offered ANY help I might need with contacting Charter for warranty work, he even offered to help me pay for a new barrel if need be....what a guy!!

I'm used to my pythons rifling, which you could shave off of, assuming you could get your face in there!! LOL.

I researched the poop out of Charter, and came to the conclusion that they are mostly shoot little, carry A LOT kind of guns.
    I looked into the smith 642's and the LCR's....big $$$ guns!!...around my parts especially....they can't stay on the shelves anywhere!! And anybody that has them, wont sell them.
    No pawn shops either.

I bid on probably 20 lcr's and smiths, and was constantly outbid up to my max allowed price...pre set by the first national bank of my wife..LOL

I'll try and shoot her this friday....ammo by me is insane at 27 dollars for WWB .38's....SMH!! And I guess as long as the holes are round, I'll let her be.

See the below, it may be they have shallow grooves by design. What appears to be pitting could possibly be residue (presumably they test fire it for that crucial used cartridge to include in the box).

Charter Arms: Why a Charter Revolver Article

Advantages of a Charter Arms Revolver for Civilian Personal Self Defense and Professional Back Up - Pg. 3

11 Eight-Groove Button-Rifled Barrel:* Only Charter has it. The result is better gas sealing which results in higher-velocities, unlike the deeper and more abrasive lands and grooves in other brands which can distort the bullet some. The result is Charters’ accuracy is better, too.

Yeah, this is just a guess, but the guy you bought it from prolly never cleaned it after its factory test firing and had in under a case for display for quite a while until you bought it, so it just looks in rough condition.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    See the below, it may be they have shallow grooves by design. What appears to be pitting could possibly be residue (presumably they test fire it for that crucial used cartridge to include in the box).

Charter Arms: Why a Charter Revolver Article

Advantages of a Charter Arms Revolver for Civilian Personal Self Defense and Professional Back Up - Pg. 3

11 Eight-Groove Button-Rifled Barrel:* Only Charter has it. The result is better gas sealing which results in higher-velocities, unlike the deeper and more abrasive lands and grooves in other brands which can distort the bullet some. The result is Charters’ accuracy is better, too.

Ahhhh, indeed!!! You might have something there maxwell!!
    Definitely putting my worries to rest.

Thanks guys!!

I'm going back to sponging now...this site is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearcity View Post
    After receiving it, it looks like the darn barrel is shot out!!

I filled out the online registration on Charters website for the warranty, would this be something they'd cover?
    Should I try to go after the seller on gunbroker?
    Is this a reputable seller, a dealer? Or, is this an individual?

Of all the parts easily swapped for a lesser item, barrels are about as easy as it gets. But folks know to look for quality rifling. Can't say whether the CA guns have "softer" rifling in the bbls. That said, I've had several guns where the rifling wasn't anywhere near as sharp and distinct as I'd had on my other guns. (Marlin's "Microgroove" vs "Ballard" rifling on their lever-action guns comes to mind.)

I'd just shoot it for a box or so, to see how it goes. Keep an open mind, forgetting for awhile that you've got questions about the barrel's history. If it shoots well, then the concerns are likely unfounded.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    ...I have never heard any good things about Charter Arms but that was years ago and things may have changed...
    I had my 35-year-old Undercover on my hip today working at the farm. It's my go-to gun for snakes. I've never had a lick of trouble with it, and wouldn't hesitate to carry it if I didn't have other guns that I prefer for CC. When I bought it, it was hands-down the best value available for its intended purpose. As mentioned earlier, it's not a "shoot a lot" gun.

My 87-year-old Mom has a newer Off-Duty for personal protection, and she can shoot the snot out of it. No problems with that one, either, in a few hundred rounds over about five years.

Everyone I've ever known, personally, who has had a CA has been very happy with it, including Undercovers, Off-Duty's, and Bulldogs.

There, now you've heard good things!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

using some soft solder..slug the barrel and mic the slug to see the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by fearcity View Post
    I emailed the seller, I won't name his company name (unless it's okay?) VERY awesome guy btw!

He assured me he bought it from a dealer, and it was in fact NIB, only fired by the factory.

He also offered ANY help I might need with contacting Charter for warranty work, he even offered to help me pay for a new barrel if need be....what a guy!!

I'm used to my pythons rifling, which you could shave off of, assuming you could get your face in there!! LOL.

I researched the poop out of Charter, and came to the conclusion that they are mostly shoot little, carry A LOT kind of guns.
    I looked into the smith 642's and the LCR's....big $$$ guns!!...around my parts especially....they can't stay on the shelves anywhere!! And anybody that has them, wont sell them.
    No pawn shops either.

I bid on probably 20 lcr's and smiths, and was constantly outbid up to my max allowed price...pre set by the first national bank of my wife..LOL

I'll try and shoot her this friday....ammo by me is insane at 27 dollars for WWB .38's....SMH!! And I guess as long as the holes are round, I'll let her be.
    27 dollars !!!! Ill take 4. 38s are going for 30'ish a box in my parts
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The rifling looks normal to me for a CA.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links