Thoughts on S&W E Series 1911 Pistol

This is a discussion on Thoughts on S&W E Series 1911 Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gents, I got a little extra cash from a spiff incentive at my work. I know buying guns is stupid, but the bills are all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on S&W E Series 1911 Pistol

Gents,

I got a little extra cash from a spiff incentive at my work. I know buying guns is stupid, but the bills are all paid and my birthday is next week. I was going to buy another M&P40c for carry (I traded my last one) because I know what to expect. As I was trolling S&W's website I came across what can only be described as a work of ART! I saw and handled one at my LGS a while back, and forgot about it because I don't usually buy $1200 guns (and by usually I mean "ever").

Product: Model SW1911SC<br>E-Series? - Round Butt, Scandium Frame

The gun is only 29oz, which is a mere 1oz more than my pro carry. But this gun has EVERYTHING I have ever wanted in a 1911. Do any of you own one of these unicorns? If so, anything negative to say? This will be my EDC so keep that in mind. Am I nuts? Should I just buy the 40c and save the other $600 for ammo?

Thanks!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Thats a nice looking gun. I like the fish scales on the front and back.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I'm not a 1911 guy but that gun looks great.

Buying guns is not stupid unless you can get them for free....
    smolck likes this.

I have one and use it as my everyday carry. No problems at all.
    IMG_0898.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ab4ux View Post
    I have one and use it as my everyday carry. No problems at all.
    IMG_0898.jpg
    Thanks for the info. She sure is a beauty. I like two tone but think if I go this route I will be getting all black. Do you like the factory grips? They look "thin" in the pics I have seen, does smith ship em with "thin" grips?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Thanks for the info. She sure is a beauty. I like two tone but think if I go this route I will be getting all black. Do you like the factory grips? They look "thin" in the pics I have seen, does smith ship em with "thin" grips?
    The factory grips are a bit thick to me but I am a female with normal female hands. I put a set of VZ thin grips on mine and
    it just fits me now. I love the way it has a push back into the hand instead of the snap of a 9mm. Very easy to handle. You will
    love it.

I happened to see a stainless version today, that is a nice piece of work. No knowledge about its function, though.

I have one for quite a while. No issues with JHP, perhaps Kimber could take a lesson, very accurate, and great looking. I have the black one and love how it looks. I bought some custom grips but after a while I put the factory grips back on. They just looked and felt better.

The custom touches on this gun IMO make it a great value. For anyone looking for a 5" the street price is about $800 and an unbelievable steal. Mt Bobtail cost $1150, list $1350 so I was happy with the price.

I have only 2 negatives and one is personal choice. I don't like ambi safeties so I changed that. If you want to shoot +P alot it's recoil is harse but not enough to affect accuracy or follow up shots.

In my experience of looking for this gun for the last 2 weeks, your biggest issue will be finding one haha. Never seen a bad thing posted about them anywhere.

I made the mistake of handling a Colt Commander last Saturday at the LGS so my gun fund is a bit dry and the E Series is gonna have to wait. Good luck though! I'll be envious.

I've a full size "E" series and have not had any issues with it. I did swap out the ambi-thumb safety for a single side one.
    rrjms3.jpg
    Regards,
    Greg

i honestly cannot think of a good reason not buy it. Bills are paid AND its your birthday... shoot... i would on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Although.... you may want to check out the kimber Raptor...
    Kimber America | Pro Raptor II

IMO, one of the most gorgeous guns created by the hands of man.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I would not call myself a 1911 fan but that is a nice looking pistol. My nephew has one similar to this and he loves it and shoots it very well. I have only shot his once and did OK with it. I am sure it is something that with practice I would shoot a lot better. That being said I think you could buy the M+P Compact for carry and a full sized M+P for range shooting for not much more than this one 1911.

That was the gun I wanted, but got a deal on my SC1911.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I almost bought one of those at my LGS... It was between that and the kimber Pro CDP II... The kimber "felt" better and had an outstanding trigger! If I was you I'd look at the Pro cdp II! Just an opinion though!
    Jabraun

Distinguished Member
    I used to have the gun you are talking about and can recommend it heartedly. It is not only a good looking gun but also a fine shooter. However the reality of lugging it around for hours set in and I sold it for a smaller 9mm that I can carry in comfort. I am one of those guys who is comforted when he is comfortable. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links