New Springfield XDM 4.5" 9MM

This is a discussion on New Springfield XDM 4.5" 9MM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at my LGS the other day and decide to buy myself an early birthday present. I have a couple of .380's that I ...

Thread: New Springfield XDM 4.5" 9MM

New Springfield XDM 4.5" 9MM

I was at my LGS the other day and decide to buy myself an early birthday present. I have a couple of .380's that I usually carry, but I was wanting something a little heavier and as I was looking at the limited selection in stock I came across the Springfield 4.5" XDm 9MM at what I considered a good price considering everything that comes with it. The feel was great and I liked the way the grip fit my hand considering it was has a double stacked, 19 round mag. This weekend I had a chance to take it to the range and I must admit I loved it! I put 100 rounds through with no hiccups at all. Would have put more through but who could afford it! At 25 feet everything was in the 10 ring and it had to be one of the smoothest 9mm that I have fired. I especially loved how easy it is to take down and clean. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a 9MM.

2. Remove Ads

That is a great choice in guns! I have been considering adding one of those to my collection. I have shot one several times and they are great shooters.

Great gun. I have the same gun but in 45 ACP and I love shooting it. Like you though who can afford to shoot to much these days��!

VIP Member
    Great gun!!! I've been looking at that same gun, but in 40S&W.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good gun, sub par trigger......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I used to have XD's but sold them to start my Glock collection. Great and accurate guns. Loved the grip angle and grip safety. Hated the weight and double decker look/size (made it uncomfortable to carry all day) and it was heavy. XDM's look like razor blades on steroids. Ugly. Regular XD models are nice and simple. And the trigger is not Glock enough. But a very solid choice if you can look past the looks and heaviness. JMHO

I have the XDm 3.8 9mm and I have to say that it is the most accurate gun that I have had the pleasure to shoot. I have an XDs which is my EDC, but I'm thinking this winter I'm going to try CC'ing my XDm. With one in the chamber, 20 rds is hard to beat.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

i have the 3.8 compact 9mm. best of both worlds cuz i edc with the 13rnd mag +1 and when i get home from work i switch to the 19rnd mag. sometimes on the weekends i'll even carry it with the 19 rounder. i carry all day everyday in a remora. i wouldn't sell/trade the xdm for any other pistol. shoots better than me, reliable as hell and yes it has a little heft but that can come in handy when you run out of ammo!! i don't get the gripes about the trigger, seems great to me.

Congrats, I'm selling one to a friend today only because I bought several XDms and have an extra. This is one of the most reliable, accurate and stone cold killer guns we've owned and the grip is the only one out of 4-5 major brands that fit my wife's hand perfectly. I would refrain from installing the very nice drop in triggers if this is intended solely for home defense and carry even though the PRP powder river drop in kit does come with two spring sets, one for combat, one for competition. PRP also sells a stainless steel guide rod and wolf springs which tame the muzzle flip even more. I wasn't nuts about mine not coming with some kind of tritium night sights but be aware the sights are insanely hard to knock out or remove on these. Which is not a bad thing. Last comment, my shooting of the XDm platform never locked in with perfect accuracy until I bought the grip tape sets ($16). That locked in my grip and the tight double taps suddenly returned. Unfortunately unless you want the gun popping out of the holster you'll eventually upgrade to a decent holster and mag pouch. The angled mag pouch design ends up causing you issues. Congrats on a killer choice among many. I also have the 3.3" XDs45 and the 5.25 competition model in both 9mm and 45. Two sites to check out are springerprecision.com and powderriverprecision.com

For carry these are the best priced, best made leather holsters I have found to date. He hand makes several hundred a month.
    wallet, pancake items in HOLSTERS BY BRAIDS store on eBay!

Links