Looking for a single stack 9mm.... Can I really get a Sig P938?

This is a discussion on Looking for a single stack 9mm.... Can I really get a Sig P938? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in picking up a single stack 9mm. Along with my LCR, this will be the gun I take when there are limitations on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Looking for a single stack 9mm.... Can I really get a Sig P938?

Sponsor

I'm interested in picking up a single stack 9mm. Along with my LCR, this will be the gun I take when there are limitations on my Glock (rare, but it happens now and then).

I like basically everything about the Sig P938, but I don't have ANY single action guns that would need to be carried cocked, with the safety on. I'm a bit concerned about my ability to adapt to this type of handgun (as in when I need it most, I'll fail to properly manipulate the weapon). Have any of you guys had an issue transitioning to SA autos?

I've been really drawn to the Shield and the Kahr P9 but am really open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    Clay

ALL my SD carry guns are 'point and shoot'. they're mostly Sig DA/SA pistols and S&W DA revolvers.

i've had several occasions at the range with my Kimber Gold Match 1911, where i pressed the trigger to no effect because i had engaged the safety when i placed it on the shooting shelf.

i have no problem disengaging the safety when i draw a holstered 1911 or my Sig P-220 Super Match SAO, but when handling the gun at a shooting stall, i tend to engage the safety when i put the gun down, and forget to disengage it when picking it up again.

so i don't presently carry either of these two guns for self defense. they're only for range use.

this is just MY experience - YMMV.

my current recommendations for a small single stack 9mm are S&W Shield, Bersa 9BP-CC, Walther PPS, and perhaps the new SA XDs/9mm.

i own a Kahr CM-9, which has never failed to feed, fire and eject, but many folks report problems with rounds popping out of the magazines and magazines which won't drop free. i have experienced both of these problems myself, but i've found solutions that satisfy me. i'm still considering a Shield 9mm.

I normally carry an XDM, but carry a P938 for summer carry and other occasions. I have never had a problem switching back and forth. For me, I know which one I put on that day, and it's just a mental note that it does or doesn't have a safety. Mental preparedness and training are your friend. Btw, I absolutely love my P938 and it makes carrying an absolute breeze. Good luck!
    maxwell97 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That Sig will be as reliable as any gun you can buy, and you'll learn to adapt. I like my PM9 and feel like it's the gun for me, but you could pick between Sig, Kimber, Kahr, any number of guns and just adjust to the one you like the best.

There ... I officially plugged my PM9, didn't really say anything to help you, and padded my post count all in one post!
    atctimmy likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I was just looking at P938's at my LGS this afternoon. Tell you what, if you get it and don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for $50.

Seriously, I don't think it's too bad using a safety, but then the first handgun I shot as a kid had a safety, so it's kind of permanently ingrained. I'm not a training expert, but one thing that might help is, at the range, practice by putting the safety on EVERY TIME you stop to reload your magazine(s), forcing you to take it off when you're ready to shoot. Personally I wouldn't do this when simply replacing an empty magazine with a loaded one, as that might develop into a habit that would kick in when reloading in a defensive situation. Again, no expert, just my thoughts.

Beretta Nano.

I love mine, easy to conceal single stack 9, never had an issue with it. You'll find the vast majority of owners don't simply like it, but love it.

The Bersa BP9cc seems like the closest thing to the single stack 9mm that Glock is too stubborn to make.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I would stick with one system on a carry gun. Either system is fine although I vastly prefer the one without a manual safety.
    screebs1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    You learned how to pull a trigger, use its reset and use the magazine release. Flipping a manual safety off is much easier to learn. I carry the 938. Even if the safety, which locks into place very well, moved off safe, you would end up with a 7lb. Trigger pull which is heavier then that on your Glock. Most who warn about a SA gun have little experience with one. The 1911 is our most popular gun. How many accidents have you ever read about them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    maxwell97 and ConditionZero like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I trained a lot using glocks. Now that I carry whatever I want, I choose revolvers. Simple, like a glock. I have the 938. I have shot it a few times. I really like it. But, I don't carry it because I feel I need to train at least a thousand rounds to build the muscle memory for the single action. I know other folks feel they can change between platforms without any problems. I don't feel confident switching back and forth. I think I am just a slow learner.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    I know I'm going against the grain here, but I would stick with one system on a carry gun. Either system is fine although I vastly prefer the one without a manual safety.
    I have to agree. I have contemplated a SA auto several times, and the fear of not properly manipulating the safety when needed keeps me away. However, I have been considering getting a 1911 eventually, and I would practice with it until I was confident, and not carry it until I was. If you decide not to go that route, the shield is a fine choice. I would also consider a Kahr CM9. They are no frills compared to the mainline Kahrs, but they are very accurate and easy to conceal due to their diminutive size. Mine disappeared easily. I wish I had never gotten rid of it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Just don't use the safety?

That's what I do on the days I carry my Shield.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Just don't use the safety?

That's what I do on the days I carry my Shield.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Well the P938 is a 1911 style pistol. Carrying it cocked and unlocked is generally unwise.
    ConditionZero and Eric357 like this.

Could always just transition to carrying SA only all the time... :D

I've carried both the Nano and BP9CC. Both have been flawlessly reliable and are easy to carry. The Nano is a little easier to shoot well for me, and if you normally carry a Glock you'll love the trigger (it's like a cleaner, crisper version of the Glock). With the 8 round mag carried +1 the Nano gives decent firepower and with the 6 round mag carried +1 you can conceal it easily in anything larger than Speedos.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links