Comfort of Glock 26 vs. M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Comfort of Glock 26 vs. M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Memorial Day and it is raining in Portland. Since I was home anyways, I decided to do a quick test of the comfort of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Comfort of Glock 26 vs. M&P Shield

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Memorial Day and it is raining in Portland. Since I was home anyways, I decided to do a quick test of the comfort of a Glock 26 vs. an M&P Shield in a Remora holster worn at about 4 o'clock.

If anyone has followed my posts, you would know that I am a HUGE Glock evangelist. So needless to say, I was a bit biased to the Glock, cutting it all sorts of slack in the evaluation. However, I have to say, that bottom line, the Shield is just more comfortable to wear. Both are about equal dimensions, weight, etc. The only real difference was the thickness of the gun.

dce07c5b.jpg

I recent watched a video where the person repeated Clint's line that a gun should not be comfortable, it should be comforting. I have one word for that and the first syllable pertains to a male bovine. If the gun hurts to wear it, it will not be worn on a daily basis. I have huge back pain issues and I have to say, I am going to have to switch over my EDC to the Shield just due to comfort.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member
    Hooray for you. Just because some guy who can dress as he pleases and is in the gun training business, says something, it does not mean it is carved in stone. People have a tendency to repeat catchy jingles. If I lived on a remote mountain and could wear what I wanted to and was in the business of teaching people how to use a gun I too would carry a 1911, but I don't so I do not. My preference is towards an Airlite J-frame or the Sig P938. So comfortable that they are comforting. It always seems that my friends with the big Glocks never happen to have their guns on them when I ask. Always some reason why they do not need to carry we are at the time and call me paranoid for carrying my pocket guns. I think I know who the fool is in those situations and it is not me. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

It is surprising how much more comfortable the slimness of a single stack is, IMO. But as is the case in any firearm discussion, carry what makes YOU comfortable in the most areas that are important to you.

VIP Member
    I'm surprised, as well, although I'm not experienced with the Remora holster. I carry double-stackers at 3:00 all the time, painlessly and hassle-free. The Midworld Ohio Special does a great job.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    First off I don't have a G26... but have shot a couple and it is a great firearm. No doubt about it. But I was just showing off my Shield tonight after the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings....going back to Chicago/Game 7, baby!...sorry ADD kicked in. One of the many selling points for me is comfort. I mention all the time (let alone tonight) that I forget that I am carrying my Shield 9 due to comfort. It's outstanding...not to mention its reliability and quality.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I have an H&K P2000sk which is very similar to the Glock in size and shape. The Shield would definately be an easier carry for many. The Shield for me is a little large to pocket carry but a great size for belt carry. IMO S&W has really improved their polymer guns to the extent that there is little difference between those and a Glock. Glock may still have a slight edge in reliability if for nothing else they have been doing it longer and tested more.

Great post. It's fine to go with the Shield. I haven't shot them so I don't know reliability, but S&W is doing a great job with their polymer line overall. Slim carry is even more important in the summer heat when it's tough to conceal while wearing shorts and Tee shirts.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The Shield in a Remora is very comfortable. The slim profile makes it pull up nice and tight and conceals well.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Haven't even been able to leave any drool or fingerprints on a Shield yet, but I find comfort in the reliability, simplicity, and durability of my GLOCK 19 and yes it is comfortable for me to carry. I am anxious to try a Shield someday...
    glockman10mm likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    That is a surprise (sort-a)....before I got my 26 last week I had a single stack LC9 and it was comfortable...but so is the 26..I carry appendix in a sticky holster...sticky is more comfortable than Remora and I have both so I know......but you gotta go with what works for you for sure....but no way I would give up my 26...................unless it turned into a 36.....LOL......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Clint Smith didn't say a pistol "should be uncomfortable".....he said "it's there to be comforting, not comfortable."

I heard him say it twice at Thunder Ranch in the 90's....

Not quite the same thing at all.....

George

Good choice on the Remora, I have two and love them. Any location, any angle! IMHO S&W has always paid more attention to ergonomics than Glock, though of course they got of to a rocky start in other areas with their polymers.

I might even put my shield into rotation so far has not hiccuped need a couple hundred more rounds through it see whats happens. I bought the clip IWB from Rosen it sure is comfy. Sine I normally only carry snubs thats saying something, hard to be more comfy than a SP in a summer special.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Comfort can mean different things. I thought about a Shield for a long time as well as other pistols but ended up buying a G26. Their was more than 1 post on here saying people had to send their shields back for issues they were having. Reliability and having 10 rounds instead of 7 or 8 and being able to use magazines from bigger Glocks makes me more comfortable with the G26 than a shield. The weight is about the same and with an IWB holster I think the G26 will be fine to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    That is a surprise (sort-a)....before I got my 26 last week I had a single stack LC9 and it was comfortable...but so is the 26..I carry appendix in a sticky holster...sticky is more comfortable than Remora and I have both so I know......but you gotta go with what works for you for sure....but no way I would give up my 26...................unless it turned into a 36.....LOL......
    Question about Appendix, Sticky holster & G26.... Do you wear a belt for support. I carry appendix (Ruger SR40C) and i wear drawstring shorts A LOT! (I use 3 Speed Holster). Curious about how much support Remora & Sticky and are if you had to draw from a beltless attire????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links