in need of your help.

This is a discussion on in need of your help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok.. I need our help. im gonna be in the market for 1 or 2 good SHTF rifles. the first is one my kids and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: in need of your help.

in need of your help.

ok.. I need our help. im gonna be in the market for 1 or 2 good SHTF rifles. the first is one my kids and most likely my wife will use. 1st. im looking at the Henry survival rifle for them to use. with a good pistol for my wife. ( probably a .22) im on a fair budget so im looking for a value on everything. second is my own rifle, looking for a good carbine I like the shorter rifles, maybe a milsurp rifle? not really sure here im not really into rifles but its a necessity. I need some input on this subject.

dont tell me to get an AR, I have access to one now but. want other options.

im ready to here everybodys input.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10/22 for one of the guns to include in SHTF kit. It's light and compact, reliable as the day is long and you can carry a few 10-round mags easily. The gun is far more prolific than the Henry survival rifle which means parts will be easier to find if necessary. And the latest 10/22 is a takedown model, if that feature is important to you.

For your rifle, you're short on your requirements or "musts" vs. "wants". You might find your needs met by an M1 Carbine, or a number of guns (not currently produced, but widely available used) like the Marlin Camp Carbine of the Ruger PC9 or PC40. A lever-action carbine in revolver rounds like .357 or .44 mag is also a solid choice... no magazine to lose, simple firing mechanism, and handy.
    40Bob likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazines (after the madness dies down).

If you have or plan to get a revolver the leveraction 357/38 is a great SHTF rifle. It will take down any 2 legged varmint and I'd bet the wife could handle the 357 while most preteens should be fine with the 38 special if not the 357. If you get any high powered or milsurp rifle I doubt it would have the versatility for your family that the leveraction would provide. I know my wife couldn't handle my AK while she gets a kick out of the marlin.

I agree with the 10/22 but might suggest a Ruger Mini 14 for you. .223 same platform as the 10/22 so as the kids grew they would already be used to it. Then you could move to the m-30 which is the .308 version of the same gun, no retraining as someone changes to a larger caliber. As far as a gun for your wife if there is a range close go and find something that is comfortable for her and rent one or 2 for her to try. Having her like it is more important than caliber and you might find a used one.

I think my SHTF rifle is an SKS, but the 10/22 is such a good, accurate, versatile, and short rifle, it may fit your bill. The .22 lr may not seem like a great SHTF round, but it is, and many others will attest to that. MY vote is the 10/22 and you can modify it out as much as you like.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I agree 22lr is an awesome shtf round. and I have a good supply of .38 and .357 so im glad you guys metioned that. im really leaning towards a 357 rifle it j6st , makes since I already have those rounds and im trying to keep the differant calibers to a minimum! I would like to stay with no more than 5 or 6. and at least with my 357 revolver and soon to be rifle I get 2 guns that shoot 2 differant calibers! I cant believe I never thought about that. so besides tje ruger 10/22 is there any other 22lr rifles that would serfice?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I think my SHTF rifle is an SKS, but the 10/22 is such a good, accurate, versatile, and short rifle, it may fit your bill. The .22 lr may not seem like a great SHTF round, but it is, and many others will attest to that. MY vote is the 10/22 and you can modify it out as much as you like.
    I like this plan. In a true SHTF scenario most people will go through all there ammo within a weeks time. A ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazine would discourage most unarmed looters. I would get two 10/22's and put the rest of the cash into 22LR after the madness. You can't have too much 22LR ammo in a SHTF scenario. It would be more valuable than gold.

A Henry .22 or. .22 mag and a Marlin 30-30...should meet most of your needs.
    Hopyard, Eric357 and bmcgilvray like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like retsupt's 30-30 idea.

Sorry, just never had the black rifle fever. Prefer shotguns.

For a survival rifle that will work for SD and food, I just can't see going wrong with something in .410/.45 Long Colt. I've actually been eyeing the Rossi Circuit Judge, just because they look like fun, but it might be up your alley.

SCJ4510_01.jpg

I wonder if they make a speed loader!

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I like retsupt's 30-30 idea.

Sorry, just never had the black rifle fever. Prefer shotguns.
    rifles are a must in that situation. although I will have a good 20gauge as one of those shtf firearms.

The Ruger 10/22 is the way to go. The Henry is a one shot rifle and designed for hunting small game in a survival situation. Definitely not a defensive weapon. Plus I read that they do not work that well. Get a used 10/22 as they are not very expensive.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I really like my Beretta Cx4 9mm carbine. Other than the current shortage of ammo, I can't think of ANY negative aspects no matter the situation.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    The Ruger 10/22 is the way to go. The Henry is a one shot rifle and designed for hunting small game in a survival situation. Definitely not a defensive weapon. Plus I read that they do not work that well. Get a used 10/22 as they are not very expensive.
    Well, you got part of it right, Henry's U.S. Survival AR-7 is a magazine fed semi-automatic.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Love my golden boy, but if only could have one 10/22 is the way to go. Lots of aftermarket stff for it great gun. 10/22. And my mk111 are the most fun to shoot at the range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links