Glock 23 Gen4 vs. All others...

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Gen4 vs. All others... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is not intended to be a Love / Hate Glock thread. So this weekend I went to the range by myself and took ...

Thread: Glock 23 Gen4 vs. All others...

Glock 23 Gen4 vs. All others...

This thread is not intended to be a Love / Hate Glock thread.
    So this weekend I went to the range by myself and took the guns I like to shoot. I had the place to myself and practiced those things that sometimes get skipped over. Drawing my handgun from concealment- getting on target and shooting as quickly as possible. I did this over and over. 2-3 mags with each gun. A kimber 1911, Smith M&P .45c, Springfield XDs in .45, and G23.

I was shooting an FBI Q target and aiming for the head/neck at 15-21 yards. With all the guns- I was hitting a group about the size of a football, all inside the target. With my G23 my group was about the size of a softball. I was pleased with my performance, but shocked at how much better I did with one particular gun than the others. I think if I slow aimed, working on precision, the results would be different. It's hard to beat a tuned 1911 with a crisp trigger!

The reason for sharing the experience is to say- there are reasons for selecting a carry gun other than how it shoots- (size, weight, grip length, reliability.) After selecting your EDC, make sure you can perform well with it. In my case- I did somewhat better with my EDC than anything else.

Any thoughts, comments, or snide remarks- feel free to share.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Sounds like the GLOCK grip angle points well and quickly for you. Try closing your eyes and pushing the G23 out to the target, then open your eyes and see how the sights are lined up; I bet they will be dead on. Are you running the stock sights on your G23? I switched out the plastic sights for 10-8 Performance U notch rear and bead front. They are outstanding, plenty of light around the front sight and the U vs. squared off rear lines up the front naturally for me.

Great idea, I have done that in the past but not recently. As for sights- I switched the original stock sights for the Glock Night Sights (I think those are made by meprolight.) I use Trijicon HD sights on my other Glock 27 & 35. I got a great deal on these at the LGS when I bought the gun. I had to wait a while for the others when I ordered them, so I jumped on what was available at the shop.

I'd like to try the 10-8 Performance sights you mentioned.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    It is because it is a Glock!!!! With the G23 being your carry gun do you tend to shoot it more than the other ones? If so that might have a lot to do with it. It might have a lot to do with the way the Glock absorbs the recoil. I read somewhere that the thicker grip can take up a lot of recoil which would lead to better follow up shots. The .40 might have a little lighter recoil than the .45 ACP. With the velocity and energy being close to a .45 it should not bother you to carry the G23 instead of any of the .45 if you can shoot it better.

I have 4 Glocks and love all of them. I don't have a G23 but did shoot my buddies Gen4 last week at the range. I liked that one so much that I may need to get one soon. I always find .40 quite snappy but the Gen4 seemed much tamer than the Gen3 in .40. The problem with Glocks is that they want you to bring more and more of their siblings home to join the family.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Glocks tend to be very accurate ONCE you learn to manage the trigger!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    I throw footballs and softballs with equal ineptitude, so for me it would be six of one and a half-dozen of the other.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Good for you! Carry what fits you best and what you shoot the best.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I love the ergonomics of a M&P but I just down right shoot Glocks more accurately. I find the M&P to be very accurate as well but it takes me too long to acquire a good sight picture/alignment. I guess the Glock grip angle works for me!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have been shooting my Glock 23 gen 4 at **50 yards with a law enforcement target with awesome results. The g23 feels like an extension of my hand, I've been getting quite a few compliments from shooters that I respect. Most of them say the .40s&w is a hard round to be proficient with. I've been hot on the G19 lately due to the assumption that if I can run a g23 well I should be able to race a g19. the G23 is one of my Top 3 favorite guns as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I throw footballs and softballs with equal ineptitude, so for me it would be six of one and a half-dozen of the other.
    For the record- I shoot better than I throw as well.

I had a gen 3 G23 & G27, and I shot the G27 better. I thought it was probably the double recoil spring. I have put 5-6 thousand rounds through Glocks, (19,20,23,27,29 &35) and I am the most accurate with this new Gen4, for what it's worth.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

.XX
    I prefer Glock... Only If it's---> 23 + with extended customized mag release + extended slide lock + grip plug + with polished trigger parts & smooth face + night sights + double recoil spring of Gen4! Yep, I like my Glock.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am jonsing for a G23 and posts like this are killing me.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I shoot my G27 with the G23 mag and X-grip best of all my carry guns....but I am really liking my new Ruger SR9...It feels like a M&P but shots like a Glock.

The 23C is an incredible pistol! The compensation is a huge help when shooting the snappy 40.

It has the muzzle flip if a 22 and the recoil of a 9mm!

With a few functional upgrades especially sights and a trigger connector I love it! I want another!

Glocks are a good product. I'm used to the lower wrist position after five years of international air pistol. It's more accurate... In if your used to it...

In God and Glock we Trust

Links