Walther PK380?

Walther PK380?

This is a discussion on Walther PK380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I bought a Tanfoglio Witness P series compact .45 the other day on a "I'm just going to buy .40 ammo" excuse to ...

Thread: Walther PK380?

Walther PK380?

Hello all,
    I bought a Tanfoglio Witness P series compact .45 the other day on a "I'm just going to buy .40 ammo" excuse to my wife . While I absolutely love this gun and am impressed with Italian manufacturers, I feel it would be too big to carry. I have been snooping around on small caliper pistols too and came across the Walther PK380. I don't have a 380, and I would love to own one, and it seems to be the perfect size as a concealed carry gun. The reviews I see are either they love the gun or it's a piece of garbage that they wish they never bought. Any thoughts? P.S. I'm not looking for those little micro carry guns and would prefer something a bit bigger, but not too much. Thanks,
    -Linny

Edit: I saw and read the Walther PK380 recall, and see it only applies from certain serial numbers made in 2012. Any others that have any thoughts good/bad on this pistol?

I bought one after I got my carry permit and found that my full size 1911 was a bit larger than I wanted to carry. It was a nice gun very comfortable and natural to point and shoot for me. Like you I liked the size not a pocket pistol but not big either. Only problem for me was I felt the 380 was too small and wanted a larger caliber. I traded it off for a 3" Kimber. If I did not need the money for the Kimber I would have kept it and it is still on my list of guns that I would buy if I could afford several more and attain spousal approval.

I just am not a fan of .380 for edc, I did just pick up the Walther PPQ M2 .40 Cal. last Friday. It is just an awesome firearm! It's trigger pull is amazing as are the ergonomics.

I plan on taking it out this coming Friday and giving her a whirl.

Had one for a few months at the beginning of the year. After a trip back to S&W (who has great CS BTW) for an FTE problem, it was 100% reliable and stupidly accurate. I would still have it, but I realized I'm a firm believer in the JMB church and sold it to a friend who wanted a carry piece to fund a my new addiction.

FWIW, I would have no problem carrying a 380 whatsoever. There are some seriously potent loads out there in the caliber.

I've had mine for a couple of years now and use it for carry in a Bullard Bodyguard holster. I've ran almost a 1000 rounds through it without any trouble at all. Love the way it shoots. Almost no recoil at all. I will say that it does take a couple of hundred rounds to break it in, but I've put flat nose, round nose and JHP through with no trouble at all. BTW the wife absolutely loves it!

I love Walthers. I don't have anything against the PK380.

But if you're going to go to a .380 round...why would you even look at the PK380 when one of the sexiest guns on earth is already waiting. The PPK (or PPK/S).

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    I love Walthers. I don't have anything against the PK380.

But if you're going to go to a .380 round...why would you even look at the PK380 when one of the sexiest guns on earth is already waiting. The PPK (or PPK/S).
    I know some people have the PPK and although they like it they say it is quite snappy. The PK380 is a little bigger so the recoil might be less. That being said the Glock 26 is about the same size and maybe even a bit smaller and has 10 round capacity of 9mm compared to 8 rounds of the .380 that the PK380 has. I have no idea on the price of the PK380 so not sure if that is a factor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    I know some people have the PPK and although they like it they say it is quite snappy. The PK380 is a little bigger so the recoil might be less. That being said the Glock 26 is about the same size and maybe even a bit smaller and has 10 round capacity of 9mm compared to 8 rounds of the .380 that the PK380 has. I have no idea on the price of the PK380 so not sure if that is a factor or not.
    When are Glocks a bad carry decision? Never, that's when. That much said, I was sticking to the confines of a .380, which he said he'd love to own, and a Walther, which means you skip right past the PK380 and get a PP series :)

Can't speak to recoil on either of them, though I am hunting down a PPK as we speak, just trying to find the right one ;)

When are Glocks a bad carry decision? Never, that's when. That much said, I was sticking to the confines of a .380, which he said he'd love to own, and a Walther, which means you skip right past the PK380 and get a PP series :)

Can't speak to recoil on either of them, though I am hunting down a PPK as we speak, just trying to find the right one ;)
    He also said he did not want a micro pistol which I think the PPK is considered.

what about a ruger LC380. Same platform as the LC9 but chambered in .380. Has a little weight to it as well. The pk 380 is a sharp looking gun for sure though..... just cant get past the weird mag release
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    He also said he did not want a micro pistol which I think the PPK is considered.
    The PPK would be considered a micro pistol in the 40's. By today's standards it's between a compact in size and a full size in weight. I do see your point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    what about a ruger LC380. Same platform as the LC9 but chambered in .380. Has a little weight to it as well. The pk 380 is a sharp looking gun for sure though..... just cant get past the weird mag release
    I was actually much faster with that mag release than I am with the one on my 1911. On the tiny grip of the PK, it requires no change of grip to hit (I have medium/large hands).

The PPK would be considered a micro pistol in the 40's. By today's standards it's between a compact in size and a full size in weight. I do see your point, though.
    I see your point. what one manufacture considers a compact another manufacturer calls a full sized. I also agree with you to skip past the PK380 and go the the PP series and maybe even a P99 AS compact

Links