Dads S&W 36-1

Dads S&W 36-1

This is a discussion on Dads S&W 36-1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was my dads S&W 36-1 38spl. 3inch barreled revolver...I'd say its over 42yrs old...He purchased it a a Western Auto ....my dad would carry ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By Buckeye63
  • 1 Post By forestranger
  • 1 Post By bunker
  • 4 Post By oneshot

Thread: Dads S&W 36-1

Dads S&W 36-1

This was my dads S&W 36-1 38spl. 3inch barreled revolver...I'd say its over 42yrs old...He purchased it a a Western Auto ....my dad would carry it in his front pocket while walking over the farm or in the mountains...it would be loaded with 158gr LRN ...the gun shoots point of aim with that load...My dad passed last year..this is one of the two guns that was left to me...

I carried dads ole gun this afternoon and toteing tonight ..while running a few errands ...loaded it up with 148gr LWC .( another load this gun loves)

Nice revolver.I have my Dads S&W. Feels good sometimes just to hold it in my hand.

Very nice! Always wanted a 3" M36. Bought a 2" one in 1969 and don't think it ever fired a factory load while I had it. Back then good 38sp ammo had to be handloads.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Cool story, may you always keep it. bunker
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Cool story, may you always keep it. bunker
    ^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^

The only 2 firearms my dad had were a 742 woodsmaster 30-06, and a Marlin 60 .22.

My sister got the Marlin, and so far, my older brother has the '06.

I got tons of memories of my dad tho' and that keeps my heart young.

My dad would always say this phrase when things weren't exactly going our way, "wonder what the poor folks are doing".

What's funny is, that if you knew my family, you'd know half the time we are so broke we can't pay attention!

Carry that 36 with fond memories of dad.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Like the story. Like to carry my Dad's 38 special S&W 5 screw M&P on rare occasion.

Back in the day the 158 grain LRN .38 special was enough bullet and powder for any Man or beast.

Back then Men took time to aim carefull and they hit there mark more often than not.

And they fired there revolvers one handed!

I really have alot of carry options ..so I will carry this gun very limited..to preserve it for my nephew ...I looked for one like it for a while but the prices have soared..

But I did find a good looking knock around gun which is a copy of this 36 it is a INA S&W 36 Clone with a 3inch barrel

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Sorry about your dad.

Revolver looks like it is in good condition and glad for you that he left it to you. I am also happy that you are looking forward to passing it on to someone in another generation. It is hard to tell by the pictures but it looks pretty big for pocket carry.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Nice gun. Of the many guns that were passed on to the family when my Dad passed, I got his initial production S&W Model 60 and holster, and it was my EDC for twenty years. I have since passed it on to my older brother so he can enjoy it as I did. It was very hard for me to part with it because every day when I placed it in the holster it brought back found memories of my Dad, like when he would be getting ready for work, the last thing he did each day would be pat the revolver and say; be a good girl and protect daddy today, and holster it. Protection from critters not thugs as we have today.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Great revolver. Shoot it in memory of your dad and pass it along to the next generation, along with your stories of your dad. Good memories and the things associated with them are heirlooms to be treasured.

I have my Pop's S&W Model 12 snubbie. Ain't it great to be a multi-generation pistolero? Nice Smith!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have an old (old!) Remington double barrel shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. It's got an old damascus barrel that has been really beaten up over the years that he used it to provide meat for his family. It's not in shootable condition. I removed the firing pins and it's currently hanging on the wall in my den. I look at it and think back to all my fond memories of him. He's the one who taught me to shoot back when I was a young teenager. You can't buy that kind of treasure. The only way this could be better is if it were in a condition to be able to be safely fired. That would take too much wholesale work, replacing the barrel and all. It would no longer be the same shotgun he used. I think I'll just leave it hanging on my wall and think of him.

Sponsored Links