Opinions on commander 1911's

This is a discussion on Opinions on commander 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking to pick up a 4" or Commander 1911 to carry rather than my M&P 9c and wanted to get opinions on what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Opinions on commander 1911's

I've been looking to pick up a 4" or Commander 1911 to carry rather than my M&P 9c and wanted to get opinions on what people recommend for a 4" or 4.25" carry option. I was thinking of a Springfield, Colt, Sig, or a Kimber for less than $1300 in .45ACP. Any advice or opinions on particular models would be greatly appreciated

Colt or Springer. IMO, there are no alternatives.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Any of those brands, in that price range, in a "Commander" variant (4"-4.25") will be fine. I'm not a Kimber fan, but there are plenty of folks who are. IMHO, it's tough to beat a Colt yet I spend the majority of my "1911 money" on Springers & Sigs. If you were blind-folded, I'll give you a half hour to tell me one from another. But if you can't? You have to...buy me one!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I just picked up a Colt M1991 Stainless Commander for well under your budget recently--I am quite happy with it.

Is go with the 4.25 version before a 4", though-I prefer models with a bushing.

image.jpg
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Unfortunately, Springfield Armory discontinued their Loaded Stainless Steel Champion, but still produce the one I picked up a few years ago......the
    Lightweight Champion Operator with Trijicon night sights. Have yet to find a Commander size .45 I like more....which is good, cuz' they not be cheap.
    I did fall madly in lust with a Colt Stainless Lightweight Commander, but was a bit pricey for my wallet at the time. Wish I'd snagged it. Beautiful pistol.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by crillyk View Post
    I've been looking to pick up a 4" or Commander 1911 to carry rather than my M&P 9c and wanted to get opinions on what people recommend for a 4" or 4.25" carry option. I was thinking of a Springfield, Colt, Sig, or a Kimber for less than $1300 in .45ACP. Any advice or opinions on particular models would be greatly appreciated
    I'm new to 1911's and wanted to get the most 1911 I could afford. So I looked at Kimbers, Colts, springers, rock island, etc. in a certain price range. Studied, researched, etc and finally settled on this one - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y. It was the most expensive gun I'd ever bought at $1,200 plus tax. It has turned into my favorite carry gun (aiwb). And so sweet to shoot and its pretty too. I just love it.

Now I understand why folks love the 1911 platform. :-)

maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member
    If you can find a SA Loaded Champion jump all over it. Looking at SA website, it looks like they have dropped their commanders from the line up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Love my Sig in every way but always annoys me the slide has a different shape than the standard. So holsters are a challenge. Otherwise an amazing value, accurate and stone cold reliable. There are a ton of great choices for sure. I dont want a carry 1911 that requires a bushing wrench and I wouldn't even think about one without front back checkering.

I own a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE, but would recommend you purchase a Springfield instead of the Colt based on the Springfield's customer service reputation. My Colt was very reliable for the first 2,000 rounds, but now I'm having problems with it. If I could have a redo.......I'd get an all steel pistol and not one with an alloy frame. The alloy frames are not as durable as all steel. This is important if you plan to put a lot of rounds through your pistol (like I do).

CSG
    I won't be like some people here and tell you which brand to buy or not buy but I will tell you that I've been quite happy with my Kimber CDP II Compact that I've owned for 5-6 years now. Never once had a hiccup and if you want to carry a 1911 platform, it's a heckuva weapon. I looked at Colts at the time but as a lefty shooter would have had to have an ambi safety installed on the Colt. Came standard on the CDP.

If I ever see a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander Its coming home with me. I Need that pistol.

Love my Colt LWT XSE Commander. Highly recommend!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Dan Wesson CBOB

It's been perfect. I have no idea how many rounds are thru it and it has never malfunctioned in any form or fashion. LOVE that gun!

Smarshe and .XX like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    If I ever see a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander Its coming home with me. I Need that pistol.
    I love mine.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

3" 1911's have come a really long way and are definitely more concealable. That said my next 1911 is going to be commander length with the bobtail..
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links