What to carry?

This is a discussion on What to carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm waiting for my carry permit to come in and I'm trying to figure out what I want to carry. To start with I'm ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What to carry?

What to carry?

So I'm waiting for my carry permit to come in and I'm trying to figure out what I want to carry. To start with I'm a rookie shooter. I've shot a shotgun a half dozen times and I've shot 3 pistols. I've got a retired marine from church that's teaching me to shoot. He's a 1911 guy and had some old Israeli BHPs. The first time I came out there to shoot I had borrowed my preachers LC9 and shot it and the hi-power.

Obviously, the BHP was much easier to handle/fun to shoot. Being a new shooter, I really didnt like the recoil of the LC9. I kept flinching when I shot and would even close my eyes toward the end of the trigger pull sometimes. So I bought the BHP. I'm kindling of kicking myself right now, but I own a gun, so that's good and I can always sell it.

But the idea of carrying a single action cocked and locked freaks me out at the moment. I think for a carry gun I want to be able to just point and shoot and rely on a holster so I don't accidentally shoot my self in the leg...or somewhere else.

Considering I didn't like the recoil of the lc9, what would you suggest for a new shooter with low recoil and preferably 9mm? Though I would be willing to carry a .380 or .38 revolver as well. I'm leaning towards a revolver some days anyway.

How would a glock 19 or 26 compare to the lc9? What about the XD9 sub? I like the idea of the grip safety. I wouldn't mind carrying cocked and locked in that situation as much. Plus, I've already put about 200 rounds through a 1911 style gun so that is what I'm most comfortable with, but I'm so new that really doesn't matter.

Oh and I usually wear dress khakis/slacks with either a polo or dress shirt, except on Sundays I'm in a suit and tie. I'm a little stocky, 5'6" 220. So I'm thinking something small enough to go in a wallet-like pocket holster.

I know that's a lot, but I would appreciate any help.

2. Remove Ads

CSL
    My advice is to start with a bigger gun a d work your way smaller as you shoot and carry more. The reasons being that 1) it's good to learn to conceal a bigger gun and realize that the whole world is NOT staring at you and 2) smaller guns are more difficult to become proficient with due to their short barrels and stout recoil.

I also had more experience with a 1911 grip angle, so I got a Ruger SR9 because it uses the same angle. It does have a safety, but I leave it disengaged when in the holster.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

Being a new shooter, a single action is probably not a good choice. Some 1911s (and similar) have VERY light triggers and there are a lot more fine motor skills required to operate them, under extreme stress those are going to go out the window. I've never understood why people think the 1911 is a good CCW, there are way too many things to snag on clothing. A DAO pistol like the Glocks or the M&Ps is a much better choice, they're pretty much idiot proof and very good for CC. Provided that you use a proper holster that cover the trigger, the chances of a ND are very small.

If the LC9 is too much for you, there is also the LC380 that came out recently. It is the same size as the LC9 but is chambered in .380 so the recoil is less.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome HoosierLife.

Flinching can be unlearned with practice. It's natural to flinch, when considering your are holding a controlled explosion in your hand.

The BHP is an excellent gun, but it's a full sized pistol and you need a solid rig (a good holster and gun belt) for comfortable carry. It's also not amenable to "deep concealment."

It sounds like you would benefit from a compact sized pistol. These are bigger than subcompacts and slightly smaller than full sized pistols. Think G19, CZ 75 Compact, etc.

Like you, I am not a fan of cocked and locked carry. I know it is perfectly safe to do so, but it's not my bag. That is why I carry a double action/single action semi auto when I am not carrying a revolver.

What I did when I was in your shoes was go to a firing range and rent some pistols. Try them out and see what you like and what works for you. Who knows, you may even find a sub-compact that works for you.

What works for one will not work for another. You'll get a lot of recommendations but they are meaningless until you try them out. Most firing ranges have a good selection of guns to choose from - probably more than you will ever try.

And don't over analyze this - when you find a gun that works for you - one that seems to point naturally for you and that feels good in your hand - go with it. And if you cannot find a gun like that, then pick one and practice with it, and eventually it will become second nature to you.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Good advice given so far.

Can't go wrong with a Glock 26. Great first CCW gun. If you want to step up in size and capacity go G19 and you can always use it's mags in the 26.

Actually I think it's good you're learning with a 1911, I believe it's easier to go from a gun with a manual safety to one without, as opposed to the reverse. Depending on your budget I might suggest a KLCR from Ruger, which is the .357 Magnum version of the .38 Special LCR, but you can still shoot .38 Special with it. The KLCR is slightly heavier than the LCR, which helps with recoil, plus if you want to shoot the more powerful .357 later, you have the option. In terms of size it's on the small side even for 5-round revolvers, I think roughly the size of an lc9, but thicker in the middle (being a revolver) and thinner elsewhere. And it's got an excellent trigger pull.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I Also think a Glock 26 would be a good choice. The felt recoil is not bad and they carry very easy.
    I would also recommend a steel framed S&W J frame in 38.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Nix
    I've been shooting for over 30 years and still haven't figured out which gun is right for me.

A revolver always seems like a good place to start...and I've come full circle back to the Ruger LCR as my carry gun of choice. Revolvers are simple to operate, reliable, accurate, and safe. Otherwise, I'd look at a smaller Walther, H&K, or Sig. I wouldn't carry anything less capable than a 9mm, but .45 ACP is my favorite old-school round. So, a 1911 ain't a bad choice. I sometimes carry a Glock, but I think you need to have a little experience and confidence to operate a Glock safely. Which ever handgun you select: practice, practice, practice.

Did I manage to leave you more confused? Welcome to my world.

Well if I plan on pocket carrying, what would be your suggestion? I really don't know what other options to even entertain at this point.

Ruger SR or SR c in 9mm. Plenty of fire power and it has some good safety features for first time carriers. It feels like a M&P but shoots like a Glock.
    Kennydale likes this.

If you don't like the impulse/recoil of the LC9, then you are fooling yourself into thinking you will like a even smaller handgun and it's felt impulse/recoil. You won't be able to hit the broad side of a barn, because of the flinch you will have firing any of those small guns.

Compact size guns like G19, H&K P2000, Sig P239, older SIG P228 or Sig P229, M&P 45c with thumb safety, M&P 9c with thumb safety, H&K USP 9 Compact are just a few I would recommend. These compacts will soak up felt recoil pretty good, and still be small enough to conceal well.

Learn to shoot really well with a full size or compact gun and you will be a much better sub-compact/pocket pistol shooter. Good luck.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    Well if I plan on pocket carrying, what would be your suggestion? I really don't know what other options to even entertain at this point.
    Ruger LCR with .38+P SWC or JHP. Too easy.

...or a S&W Shield in 9mm...or a S&W J-frame like the 640.

The crucial thing, IMHO, is to practice with which ever weapon you choose. Practice, practice, practice.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodz View Post
    Ruger SR or SR c in 9mm. Plenty of fire power and it has some good safety features for first time carriers. It feels like a M&P but shoots like a Glock.
    Hmmm..I've been comparing these and I really like them. Could I carry the sr9 in my pocket or the src with the 17 round mag in my pocket. And I've read it has a real short trigger pull. Could that be an issue in a stressful situation?

And what does a "striker pistol" mean? And how does the trigger safety work? I just want something that will be relatively safe to carry with one in the chamber and be able to pull it out, aim and fire as fast as possible.

And what is the size difference gonna be between my browning hp and the sr9?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links