Hiking, backpacking, basic outdoor, horseback riding revolver

This is a discussion on Hiking, backpacking, basic outdoor, horseback riding revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaning towards the Ruger Redhawk in Colt .45 with 4" barrel....thoughts? Ruger® Redhawk® Double-Action Revolver Model 5027...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Hiking, backpacking, basic outdoor, horseback riding revolver

Leaning towards the Ruger Redhawk in Colt .45 with 4" barrel....thoughts?

Ruger® Redhawk® Double-Action Revolver Model 5027

Having friends that ride trails often, you may want to reconsider a semi auto with a higher capacity mag over a revolver. Remember, on horseback you are not on the most stable of platforms and put the horse on uneven ground and you are setting yourself up for a very difficult first and second shot no matter what the threat is. My friends that ride horses have all settled on semi auto pistols primarily for that reason. One has had the fun of trying to stop a rabid fox from horse back and to say the least, after the first shot the fox wasn't the only critter that was spooked a bit. The horse reacted to the gunshot too so the follow up shots were not a day at the range. It ended with the fox dispatched but it was after 9 rounds from horse back.

Just a thought.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    A little more info might help people give you advice. What are your main concerns? Bears snakes wolves BG's

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Unless you practice shooting from horseback, you probably don't want a revolver. I would want something with a few more rounds at my disposal.

That said, that sure is a "purty" gun. I don't think I would shell out $900+ for it, but it is nice.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

-- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    S&W 686 I have the 2.5" barrel.

S & W 686.jpg

How about this one...
    Jesse Ventura.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I agree maybe more rounds would be better but also make darn sure the horse will not spook or you may be laying on your back out of commission from being thrown off

I went with a Ruger GP100 in .357 for my woods gun. I debated about going with the Redhawk in .44, but decided I would not likely be hunting grizzlies anytime soon. I like being able to use the .38 and .357 so that was the direction I went.
    cthruit and Eric357 like this.

The Redhawk will be fine. I would probably go with the GP100 or S&W 686 4 in. The SP101 or S&W mod 60 2.25 357 would be a good choice. For me the most important thing I want a gun for on a horse is to shoot the horse if my foot gets hung in the stirrup and a run away horse.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The redhawk is a great revolver. I have the 44 mag and I will never get rid of it. The 45 colt is a good cartridge and the redhawk can handle anything you can chamber. I think it is a great choice.
    NRA Life Member

Realistically, I've long used mostly a 4-inch .38 Special Smith & Wesson Model 10 or a similarly configured 4-inch Smith & Wesson .32-20 Hand Ejector for all those chores. Despite hiking and hunting on our own place all of my life, I've never felt undergunned for any purpose.

If you're looking at big-bore choices then you sound as if you have found a perfect one in the .45 Colt chambered 4-inch Redhawk. It doesn't get any better than one of the "Big Three" non-magnum revolver rounds, the .44 Special, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP (most excellent when used in revolvers so chambered).

I'm not tough enough to ever attempt to shoot from a horse uninitiated to gunfire from the saddle, rabid foxes or not. Such an undertaking would only be taken in direst emergency.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    You forgot a good swimming revolver....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thanks for the replies. Don't what a semi. We pack into bear country which would be the Bob Marshall in Montana. Horses are trained to gunshots but we always dismount first. One reason for the colt 45 was the option of target shooting with low pressure 750 fps cowboy loads yet could still have the option of bear protection with the hotter heavy cast bullets. I do have a Taurus colt 45 but I don't feel comfortable running any high pressure bear loads through it thus I'll probably sell it when if I get the Ruger.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrieken View Post
    I went with a Ruger GP100 in .357 for my woods gun.
    I carry the GP100 (6") in the woods - and love it.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Excellent choice. If .45colt is your cartridge on your lever-gun, the KRH 45-4 would be a great choice.

Myself, .44mag is preferred, so the KRH 44-4 would be my selection.

Well-made, reliable, durable, with the weight and in 4" format it's fairly easy to manage.
    BamaT likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Another reason a revolver is a decent choice is that it can fire snake shot if you're in viper country. An auto won't cycle the stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links