MY FN 5.7 (Shoots 5.7 x 28mm Ammo)

This is a discussion on MY FN 5.7 (Shoots 5.7 x 28mm Ammo) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DSC08487.JPG I CCW this a lot in the 6 mos I've had it, light at 1.5lbs and full-size but conceals easily under a short sleeve ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: MY FN 5.7 (Shoots 5.7 x 28mm Ammo)

DSC08487.JPG

I CCW this a lot in the 6 mos I've had it, light at 1.5lbs and full-size but conceals easily under a short sleeve open shirt or vest.

I'm in NY State, for now 7 + 1 is the max load but I fully believe based on reports and just shooting the damn thing it is a fine SD gun. I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up. At rifle speed of 2000' per second and made to tumble on a hit 8 rounds is fine and other places you can shoot 20, so you are in great shape if in one of those states. The controls are easy to move with no extra finger/hand movement and the safety, just a bit forward and up from the trigger and guard, is the easiest and safest of safeties I've ever used.

The gun is really accurate, it shoots with a wicked crack and with flame out the barrel but your hand hardly bumps, it's chipmunk recoil allowing for very fast shots on target. I Carry an extra mag and with the time to shoot all rounds so fast in one mag can reload and be ready again in two seconds - and NO ONE is going to keep coming at you after being hit 8 times by rifle speed bullets that tumble, small or not.

Bullet is also made to slow quickly so there is no over-penetration nor would a ricochet have much force in a miss.

Used by the Secret Service and several SWAT teams here and by long list of specialty military and LE Units world-wide it seems the ideal gun for social action near innocents.

Why it beats a 22 Mag I can't tell you, I just know I've read what seem valid ballistic comparisons but I'm not a techie, just satisfied with what I have.

Ammo is opening up, I bought a thousand rounds just before the panic and now my range is getting it in at $25 a box of 50, same as what it was before the panic. Price has been steady.

I highly recommend the gun and the weird rifle-like ammo.

Best..
    Last edited by detective; June 1st, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

I've wanted one of these for a longggg time.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

"I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up."

I am sorry, but there is no way this is true. The 5.7 has its place, but that place is one where body armor is common and velocity is king. There is no reason why when limited to 7+1, you should be carrying a suped up .22 instead of a 9mm,.40, or .45. Perhaps my 2 cents are unwelcome but I feel it had to be said.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    It's an interesting round, and I wish it was utilized in more firearms that were a bit...cheaper.
    OldVet and nontechguy like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    It's an interesting round, and I wish it was utilized in more firearms that were a bit...cheaper.
    My feeling too. I'd love to have one, just too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    "I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up."

I am sorry, but there is no way this is true. The 5.7 has its place, but that place is one where body armor is common and velocity is king. There is no reason why when limited to 7+1, you should be carrying a suped up .22 instead of a 9mm,.40, or .45. Perhaps my 2 cents are unwelcome but I feel it had to be said.
    At 2400 fps and 400 ft-lb? I think it's entirely feasible that it would "blow up" the inside of a neck. That's roughly equivalent to a .223 fired out of a 5-6" barrel. The 7+1 argument is good, though. Personally, I'd consider selling the weapon and use the funds towards moving to a free state.

edit: sorry, my numbers were a little high, looks like from the five-seven it's more like 2000 fps. Still, I'd say it's feasible. Necks are small.
    NH_Esau and Taurahe like this.

Kind of sucks you are getting robbed of 14 rounds living in NY, I think one of the biggest Pros of that gun is the potential capacity..
    kmagnuss likes this.

You and a few others can say it, but it does not make it true.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    DSC08487.JPG
    I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up.
    The neck is an interesting cut of meat, with lots of things going on - skin, big arteries and veins, bone, cartilage, and some empty space in a relatively compact target. Hit it in the right place and it might indeed "just blow up," even with something moving with a lot less velocity than your 5.7. Hit it in another place, and you might get just a clean entry/exit and no real short-term effects, but just a couple millimeters left or right might bleed the guy out in short order or sever/shock the cord enough to drop him like a sack of rocks.

As for the firearm... hell, I'd love to have one. And I think it might make a great carry gun. But if you limit it to 7 rounds, what you've got is a range toy. Not that I'm opposed to range toys.

However, would love to see you post your own pic of your carry setup.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Didn't the Ft. Hood shooter use a Five Seven? Seemed horribly effective there.

I have always found high velocity light jacket bullets to be very destructive.They do tend to give the impression of blowing up..

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Yes, cheap it's not, at $1200 likely over-priced by a $100 or so (due to no built-in night-sights) but originally due to bad arthritis I needed an easy recoil gun for SD and chose this one it pointed so well - I've been quite happy with it so I keep CCWing it (I have other guns too) -- even though for some odd and thankful reason my hand is better or at least feels better.

No way I can disprove this except all these specialty military and LE Units world-wide do not use .22 But I understand the point, the round looks narrow and it's easy to say, "well, it's a 22". But it's a whooper more in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Kind of sucks you are getting robbed of 14 rounds living in NY, I think one of the biggest Pros of that gun is the potential capacity..
    There's lots of talk of changing that... Hope so, makes no sense, difference between 8 and even 11 is not massacre vs a derringer. Silly law, has no purpose whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    The neck is an interesting cut of meat, with lots of things going on - skin, big arteries and veins, bone, cartilage, and some empty space in a relatively compact target. Hit it in the right place and it might indeed "just blow up," even with something moving with a lot less velocity than your 5.7. Hit it in another place, and you might get just a clean entry/exit and no real short-term effects, but just a couple millimeters left or right might bleed the guy out in short order or sever/shock the cord enough to drop him like a sack of rocks.

As for the firearm... hell, I'd love to have one. And I think it might make a great carry gun. But if you limit it to 7 rounds, what you've got is a range toy. Not that I'm opposed to range toys.

However, would love to see you post your own pic of your carry setup.
    If I can take one of myself I'll send it along.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links