Taurus TCP vs. Kahr CW380

This is a discussion on Taurus TCP vs. Kahr CW380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my CCW in WI. My only option to carry at the moment is a Springlfield XD 9mm, service size. It's a bit large ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Taurus TCP vs. Kahr CW380

Taurus TCP vs. Kahr CW380

Just got my CCW in WI. My only option to carry at the moment is a Springlfield XD 9mm, service size. It's a bit large for me to conceal during the warmer months, so I am looking for a pocket pistol I can pretty much carry anytime.

I've narrowed down my choices to either a Taurus TCP or Kahr CW380. I have only looked at the P380 since I haven't seen the CW380 anywhere yet. Bottom line is I can find and afford the TCP next week $229 at Gander. The Kahr would take me another 2 months to save for, and then hopefully I can find it. I'm leaning towards just buying the TCP now, whaddaya think?

If I buy the TCP now, I will then start to save for a Glock 27 as another carry option. Probably be winter before I would get it. If I get the Kahr in a few months the Glock is probably not until next spring....

I know there are other 380 options out there, but I'm pretty much settled on one of these two.

2. Remove Ads

If you are unarmed get the Taurus,Who knows when the kahr will be out.

CSG
    Between the two, I'd likely get the Taurus but I think the Ruger LCP is a better choice than the Taurus. Some others disagree.

Having recently purchased a PM9 and already owning a PT 709, I would save for the Kahr. Much better quality.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    whaddaya think?
    I think you should look into different carry guns. One is a Taurus (buyer beware) and the other is still just a myth at this point.

IMO there are plenty of VERY good CCW weapons on the market right now. Weapons with proven track records and with lots of holsters/support.

I suggest a:
    S&W Shield
    Kahr CW9 ( < --- My Favorite)

or if you absolutely gotta have a .380 a:
    Ruger LCP or a Bersa Thunder .380.

I know there are other 380 options out there, but I'm pretty much settled on one of these two.
    WHY? Have you shot any of these guns?
    miller_man and gottabkiddin like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I selected the Taurus over the Ruger. It was cheaper, trigger was smoother and the slide locks back on last round. So far it has been reliable and fun to shoot. I have almost 150 rounds through it already.
    Thunder71 and Steve454 like this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by pinehtr View Post
    If you are unarmed get the Taurus,Who knows when the kahr will be out.
    If it was choice between being unarmed and buying a Taurus I'd take my chances being unarmed.
    a51young likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    If it was choice between being unarmed and buying a Taurus I'd take my chances being unarmed.
    Then you are foolish.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Then you are foolish.
    +1. Gun snobs are everywhere. Ignore them.
    CSG, franco45, Rhcmlc and 5 others like this.

I owned a TCP for a while, I really enjoyed it and it was 100% functional for all 500+ rounds I put through it. Also fairly accurate for what it was.

I ended up selling it because I could not stand paying so much for a box of range .380 ammo and opted for a 9mm. However if I were ever to get a .380 again I would not hesitate to pick up another TCP.

EDIT: To everyone that hates on Taurus, I have owned 3 in my history of gun ownership. I am yet to have any type of failure through well into the 1000-2000 round range and would trust my life with any one of them. I would not put them on the level of my CZ's or 1911's as far as fit and finish, however their reliability is on par if not better. Every manufacturer is going to have some lemons out there, and those are the ones we tend to hear about on public forums.
    bigsky109, Broadus and Steve454 like this.

I have both the Taurus TCP and the Ruger LCP. I have had several FTE with the TCP, but never with the LCP. I often carry the Ruger, but never the Taurus even though it has the Crimson Trace on it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Just like with any firearm made today they all make some bad turds and all of these new 380 micro pistol have been known to have major reliability issues when they started out. So most of the issues depend on when your was made as in a early on run, along with your skills to a point more than current production runs. Ruger was a piece of smelly stuff for many along with KT, Taurus and most all others when brand new to the market.

The Taurus current model has atleast a C in the serial number and tend to be one of the best micro pistols out there. Will or should a current ruger or kt or p work well yes but you never know tell you run some ammo thru it. The cw should work well as its just a down graded p version from kahr.

I like kahr and carry them in a 9mm or 40 cal as my standard go to pistols. But for a great little shooter in 380 the two TCP models we have, could not be any better or less picky . I broke both ours in with 500 rounds of mainly different HP ammo thru each with out a single issue. Easier to handle one handed too.

Would you rather have a shiny, sporty new Hyundai, or a BMW? Each has its place; which is "better" is a personal value judgement. I'd rather have the Beemer, but a Hyundai beats walking!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Would you rather have a shiny, sporty new Hyundai, or a BMW? Each has its place; which is "better" is a personal value judgement. I'd rather have the Beemer, but a Hyundai beats walking!
    The difference with your analogy is that Hyundai has very high customer satisfaction ratings and Taurus runs at about 50%. For every happy Taurus owner I meet there is another who has had very bad luck with them.

Does that mean all Taurus products suck? No, but it does mean that you stand a 50/50 chance of getting a turd. As I said before, with Taurus it's buyer beware.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    I stay away from Taurus and other "budget priced" guns now for the most part, unless the have LOTS of great reviews of being reliable. I had 2 TCP's that had failures to feed in the beginning and came back around after a few hundred trouble free rounds through them. I sold them both, replaced with the Ruger LCP, which is a much better functioning gun. Just my $0.02, its your money - get what you want.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links