Why does everyone hate the S&W sigmas? (Pictures included)

This is a discussion on Why does everyone hate the S&W sigmas? (Pictures included) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Smith and Wesson sigma 9mm was the first handgun I ever purchased. I didn't know much about handguns at the time, but I liked ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Why does everyone hate the S&W sigmas? (Pictures included)

The Smith and Wesson sigma 9mm was the first handgun I ever purchased. I didn't know much about handguns at the time, but I liked the caliber and the price of $295 (being a college student on a limited budget) so it came home with me! About a year and a half and 1,000 rounds later its going strong with glock like dependency for about half the price.

Sure the trigger pull is a little long and heavy, but after fondling a ruger lcr .357 at the LGS the other day it feels light as a feather! (And I love the lcr's trigger, don't care how heavy it is). So why is there no love for the sigmas? A dependable, durable, full-size, DA defensive handgun in a popular caliber with the smith and wesson name for bargain basement price. Also pretty accurate for defensive purposes. I've worked up to hitting clays at 7 and 15 yards with about 90% consistency, which is plenty accurate for defensive use and then some IMO. The photo below is a a single shot I took at 25 yards leaning on the hood of my jeep. Seems like a winner to me? It's on my hip in a new holster as a type this... And here's some pictures

Two reasons there's hate on them:

1) Gun snobs
    b) Trigger

I have never hated them. I think they are a great economical gun, that with a little work can be turned into a fantastic personal defense weapon. Yes the trigger is bleh, but if that is the worst then ill take two.
    FlaRon and Idahokid like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Two reasons there's hate on them:

1) Gun snobs
    b) Trigger
    Its mostly the trigger for me, but there may be a bit of gun snobbery in me too.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The other day somebody told me that Glock sued them over the Sigma? Can anybody clear this up?

I've never shot one and reserve judgement until I do so.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I hear the current version is much different (and much better) than the original Sigma. I bought one when they were first released in the early/mid 90's and it was a giant piece of crap. I actually felt bad selling it.

If it works well for you then who cares how anyone else feels about it? Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    The other day somebody told me that Glock sued them over the Sigma? Can anybody clear this up?

I've never shot one and reserve judgement until I do so.
    S&W settled out of court with Glock.

To clear things up I believe that S&W is on the third version, the first being the sigma, next the sigma VE series ( which is the model the I have), and now they are one the newest run which I believe has a bit lighter trigger and also the sights from the m&p or shield line, I can't recall which. And yes glock did sue, settled out of court for I believe an undisclosed amount. They made a few design changes which I think ( and I might cause a dispute here) made the ergonomics of the sigma series a step above glock
    blitzburgh and Ghost1958 like this.

And as far as the trigger is concerned most DA only semi autos that I have handled on the market today have pretty long heavy triggers. As somebody that started shooting with revolvers all I can say is go shoot some DA revolvers and then complain about the sigmas heavy trigger

Even though the sigma VE40 I had did have a better grip then the glock I sold it for, I just had a chance to latch on to a 10 mm I'v always wanted. The sigma is a good pistol and might just buy back the one I sold soon.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I bought the SW40V when they first came out.
    Now, I'm not a gun EXPERT, but I have never had a complaint with mine, other than I thought the trigger was a lot more weight than it needed when I first got it.
    So I modified it and now it's my favorite "holstered" EDC. It replaced my SW 45 454 and with the lighter tripper it's perfect for me. My other EDC is a Ruger LC9.

I did add a Crimson Trace Laser to it last Summer and it's a hoot to shoot at the Range now. I find myself drawing funny faces with it.
    Side Gaurd made me a real nice holster for it with the Laser on it.

Look up the Sigma Trigger Mod on the Internet. It's fairly easy and there are some good step by step Videos for the DIY'ers.
    The mod cuts the rigger pull almost in half.

My Son in Law shoots Glock's and at the Range we swap pistols every so often. I have a hard time telling the two apart in my shooting.

For the price difference, I'll keep my Sigma!
    cthruit likes this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Administrator
    I have never bashed one.
    The S&W Sigma is one of the best kept secrets out there if a person is looking for a reliable firearm with good ergonomics and a small price tag.
    The gun felt VERY GOOD in hand. It pointed naturally.

I have fired one and handled one and I actually liked it. It was an early one and YES the trigger was not great but, it was manageable and I think the newer ones sport a better trigger but, that is only what I have read and have no way to verify it as I have not seen a later version on dealer shelves or if there was one there...it was not a firearm that I was specifically looking for so I passed it over.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. I'm tired and it's been a long day.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd love to give one a try because of the name and price tag but I've just never encountered one. A friend bought one a little while back but sold it within two days so I never got the chance to hit the range with it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've seen the trigger mod recommended all over the place but I think I might have lucked out and got one with a decent trigger. I've taken it down and done a little polishing, and after that and 1000 rounds the trigger is still heavy but more importantly it is smooth with no grit. I think it's hit it's stride and I look forward to putting countless more rounds through it and have no doubt that it will perform. Although it might have to take a back seat for a little while after I pick up that LCR in .357

Its definitely the best pistol in the price range. If people don't like it who cares. I don't like it but I don't bash it either. s&w does have better ergos than a glock, After shooting a few hundred rounds out of my 1911 and M&P today my glock grip angle felt funny for a few seconds when I got home ( didn't bring the glock to the range )

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links