Springfield Armory GI Champion: any experiences?

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory GI Champion: any experiences? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I just bought a used SA GI Champion model, and would love to hear from those who have experience with the GI models ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wheelyfun101
  • 1 Post By wheelyfun101

Thread: Springfield Armory GI Champion: any experiences?

Springfield Armory GI Champion: any experiences?

Hey all,
    I just bought a used SA GI Champion model, and would love to hear from those who have experience with the GI models from SA.

It appears to have been barely fired, and I hope to remedy that this evening!

Love to hear any tips/tricks/advice on this model.....

I understand that the GI model is the bare-bones of the 1911 world, but this is a range toy, not a defensive pistol....

Share your experiences! Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I use my GI.45 Micro for self-defense all the time, why not? It chambers HP's just fine, gives me a small gun with .45 power, and is as reliable as a rock.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have a Lightweight Champion Operator, its alright. Had a few FTE so I wouldn't totally trust it for carry, but for a range toy it would be a ton of fun!

Brought it to the range this evening.....dodging rain and lightning, but hey, I'm ex-infantry!
    Field stripped and cleaned/lubed before shooting....
    I greased the rails with Enos Slide Glide.

Fired 100 rounds of FMJ with ZERO malfunctions!
    The trigger sucks: heavy pull but at least it breaks clean.
    The brass ejection pattern was a bit erratic, with some brass hitting me in the top of head.
    From 10 yds out, I was making a ragged hole in the target!
    Brought it home, cleaned and lubed: now sitting in my safe, cocked and locked and stoked with Golden Saber Hollow points (which fed just fine at the range)

bigmacque likes this.

I have a stainless steel Champion that I bought in 1995. It is my favorite gun. Any FTF/FTE have been my problem or the magazine's problem. The gun is a gem. When in doubt and when possible, it is the gun I carry. You can't go wrong with a Springfield Champion.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Nice looking gun. I like that Parkerized finish, mine is just like the one in my avatar and I really like this gun.
    I keep three at the ready for carry at any time: the HK .45 USP-C, the PM9 and this one, the SA GI.45 Micro Compact. I carry it just as confidently as either of the other two.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I once owned the SA GI, the plain jane WWII reproduction model, and absolutely loved it. I had to sell it while I was unemployed a few years ago. I miss it badly and am already thinking about getting another.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've carried one for many years as my "back-up"/"off-duty" and it has been totally reliable. I keep a light coat of oil on the gun and the parkerized finish has held up well.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

I just put one on layaway today. I am glad to see the positive opinions in the above posts.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I had one, foolishly traded it away. Mine was 100% until the day I traded it, and I carried it often.

Locally, Commander size Springers are hard to come by. They don't last long when they do show up in the shops.......

I can't speak to the Champion, buy my 1990-vintage 1911-A1 runs like a "champ". I used that old boy for 5+ months at weekly steel matches while the TRP was in the shop... never let me down. You've got a solid shooter there.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah,
    I've put another 200 rounds through this 1911 since I originally posted about it.....ZERO malfunctions of any kind!
    Brass ejection can be unkind (hitting me in the head once in a while...), but as long as it ejects cleanly....I won't complain!
    franco45 likes this.

Links