Revolver vs Single Stack Auto which is better?

This is a discussion on Revolver vs Single Stack Auto which is better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Revolver verses Single Stack Auto which is better? I just purchased a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I have had S&W 642, 649 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Revolver vs Single Stack Auto which is better?

Revolver vs Single Stack Auto which is better?

Revolver verses Single Stack Auto which is better? I just purchased a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I have had S&W 642, 649 and LCR 357 Snubbies in the past.

As far as Single Stack Autos I have had XDS 45, Kahr Pm9 and a Sig P938 9mm all of which I sold for different reasons.

What I have found is the Single Stack 9s and the XDS45 where to big for most pocket carry, they each required long break in periods 200 rounds plus, they all ended up carried AIWB. That they all ended up AIWB they did not carry that much easier than my Glock 26, which has 10+1 capacity, easier to shoot, easier follow up shots, more reliable, no break in period. I fill the roll of AIWB with the G26 and sold the Single Stack Auto's.

Pocket carry goes to the LCR, which is lighter, I shoot it as we'll as the Single Stack Auto's, it is reliable, not fussy about ammo, required no break in period and is easier to conceal.

One common thing in all my carry guns is that they have no safeties to flip no levers to grip, just draw and fire, I like simple, just point and shoot.

Right now I am down to three carry guns Glock 26 AIWB, LCR pocket carry and LCP pocket carry. And yes I carry reloads for the gun I am carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have quite a background of pistols and carrying... enough that you should know the answer to your own question haha.

Revolvers are reliable 100%. Semi-Auto's aren't.

Which to carry? Preference. Can't be answered by others. Some carry both. Semi-auto primary and a revolver backup. Some carry revolvers exclusively, others just semi-autos.

I would check into a shield 9/40.

Glock 26 AIWB sounds like the setup I would prefer though.

I carry an M&P9c.

In my book, in that size range, revolvers beat autos. More reliable, less ammo-sensitive, more power for the size, more options for good grips, better for shooting from inside a coat pocket, and better for muzzle-contact shots. Ammo capacity is a downside, which can be mitigated by speed loaders or speed strips, and the thickness of the cylinder is a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    ...Revolvers are reliable 100%. Semi-Auto's aren't...
    drift, kmagnuss, Taurahe and 9 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member

FAIL. Go sit in the corner.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My current carries are a G30 and a 6906, but if I had a j-frame I'd carry it too. It's really a moot question of what's "best."
    oneshot and Eric357 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The problem IMO arises when you define "better" what IS better to me , may not be for you... and vice versa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    In my book, in that size range, revolvers beat autos. More reliable, less ammo-sensitive, more power for the size, more options for good grips, better for shooting from inside a coat pocket, and better for muzzle-contact shots. Ammo capacity is a downside, which can be mitigated by speed loaders or speed strips, and the thickness of the cylinder is a downside.
    What if I carry this?

300px-Webley-Fosbery_1837.jpg
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    I carry either because I'm a gun geek. Carry a quality firearm that you're proficient with.

Sounds like you have quite a background of pistols and carrying... enough that you should know the answer to your own question haha.

Which to carry? Preference. Can't be answered by others. Some carry both. Semi-auto primary and a revolver backup. Some carry revolvers exclusively, others just semi-autos.

I would check into a shield 9/40.

Glock 26 AIWB sounds like the setup I would prefer though.

I carry an M&P9c.
    I realize what you mean, but no mechanical device is ever going to be 100% reliable.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    What if I carry this?

300px-Webley-Fosbery_1837.jpg
    Combines most all of the disadvantages of a revolver AND a semi-auto into a single firearm!
    Glock1978 and Eric357 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Here's a revolver that at least doesn't give up anything in terms of capacity, compared to most semi-auto's:
    revo.jpg
    sensei2, Taurahe and chief8991 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    FAIL. Go sit in the corner.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Revolver verses Single Stack Auto which is better? I just purchased a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I have had S&W 642, 649 and LCR 357 Snubbies in the past.

As far as Single Stack Autos I have had XDS 45, Kahr Pm9 and a Sig P938 9mm all of which I sold for different reasons.

What I have found is the Single Stack 9s and the XDS45 where to big for most pocket carry, they each required long break in periods 200 rounds plus, they all ended up carried AIWB. That they all ended up AIWB they did not carry that much easier than my Glock 26, which has 10+1 capacity, easier to shoot, easier follow up shots, more reliable, no break in period. I fill the roll of AIWB with the G26 and sold the Single Stack Auto's.

Pocket carry goes to the LCR, which is lighter, I shoot it as we'll as the Single Stack Auto's, it is reliable, not fussy about ammo, required no break in period and is easier to conceal.

One common thing in all my carry guns is that they have no safeties to flip no levers to grip, just draw and fire, I like simple, just point and shoot.

Right now I am down to three carry guns Glock 26 AIWB, LCR pocket carry and LCP pocket carry. And yes I carry reloads for the gun I am carrying.
    Whatever you like more; big differences far as mechanics, personal preference far as use.
    Last edited by detective; June 2nd, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Here's a revolver that at least doesn't give up anything in terms of capacity, compared to most semi-auto's:
    revo.jpg
    IWB would be a real problem...
    Kilowatt3, detective and fredg53 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links