Barrel lenghts?

This is a discussion on Barrel lenghts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I right in thinking (in general) that a semi auto's 3" barrel is about the same as a revolvers 2"? When you consider tip ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArmyCop
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Barrel lenghts?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Barrel lenghts?

Am I right in thinking (in general) that a semi auto's 3" barrel is about the same as a revolvers 2"?
    When you consider tip of bullet to end of barrel.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

You're on the right track. A revolver's barrel length is measured from the forcing cone to the muzzle, whereas an auto's barrel is measured from the breech face to the muzzle.

The effect on performance can be found here: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home
    bmcgilvray and maxwell97 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    This I did not know. Thanks both for enlightening me.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Senior Moderator
    I used to think that barrel length affected performance of the gun, but have found out that it aint necessarily so. Here's a gun that I built a barrel for just to see how it would work. As short as it is, it is still flawless with CCI standard rounds and even quieter than I expected.

This one has sort of turned conventional wisdom on its head.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Thanks gasmitty but "why"?
    Why don't they all measure / go by distance from end of projectile to where it exits the barrel?
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Actually barrel length has a fairly big effect on the gun. Here are some reasons why:
    the longer the barrel, to a point, the more powder burn you get, which results in higher velocity.
    The barrel, depending on twist weight, pressure, and bullet weight, will affect your trajectory, muzzle velocity, and range.
    shorter barrels tend to have more muzzle flash, more felt recoil due to being lighter, and are typically also less accurate due to the shorter distance between front and rear sights.

If you want to exaggerate a test to see the differences, use two AR platform rifles, otherwise identical, and using their iron sights. Make one an SBR with a 7" barrel, and make the other with a full 18" barrel.
    See the differences.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Thanks gasmitty but "why"?
    Why don't they all measure / go by distance from end of projectile to where it exits the barrel?
    Probably just for ease of measuring it. With an auto it is easier to just drop a dowel down the barrel and measure from breachface to muzzle or just measure the entire length of the barrel with chamber whereas it is easy to exclude the chamber when measuring a revolver's barrel. One thing you have to take into account with a revolver is that you do lose some gas at the cylinder gap which cuts into the velocity advantage that a longer barrel would give you.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I used to think that barrel length affected performance of the gun, but have found out that it aint necessarily so. Here's a gun that I built a barrel for just to see how it would work. As short as it is, it is still flawless with CCI standard rounds and even quieter than I expected.

This one has sort of turned conventional wisdom on its head.
    Nice. I would think you're not getting much muzzle energy out of it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You're on the right track. A revolver's barrel length is measured from the forcing cone to the muzzle, whereas an auto's barrel is measured from the breech face to the muzzle.

The effect on performance can be found here: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home
    Good call, that's a great site.

Links