The M&P Shield. Tell me about your experience with this gun

This is a discussion on The M&P Shield. Tell me about your experience with this gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am dumping the Kahr CW9 because of the magazine issues almost everyone has with this gun eventually. See this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-kahr-cw9.html I am in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The M&P Shield. Tell me about your experience with this gun

I am dumping the Kahr CW9 because of the magazine issues almost everyone has with this gun eventually. See this thread: I've had it. Time to replace the Kahr CW9.

I am in discussions with a fellow who wants to trade me his M&P Shield for my CW9 with a little cash thrown in on my end as the CW9 is less expensive that the Shield.

I have held a Shield and honestly, I didn't love the feel of it in my hand but I know I can fix that very easily. I have not heard much bad about the Shield but I am really looking to hear from people who own one and carry it regularly. How does it carry. How is the reliability. Anything you dislike about the gun.

Lay it one me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I got to hold a Shield after church in the parking lot a few weeks back. I pointed it at the pea gravels on the ground. I really liked the way the grip frame dimensions snugged right up into my hand. Haven't shot one yet.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Me neither. They are a bit more difficult to come by than the winning Powerball ticket.

Have held two, and as Bryan said, good ergos. Can it shoot? Who knows. Would like to find out.

Fits me well, very reliable, shoots like a full size gun.

But, maybe it's not for you? People like the PPS and many other small 9mms.

I went with the pps rather than the shield and haven't been disappointed. Not a single problem and it's as accurate as map M&P 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I had a Shield in 9mm but wound up selling it. The pistol functioned perfectly and was a breeze to carry and conceal. My problem was I just did not shoot the pistol very well, so I decided to send it down the road.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have the LC9. The Shield is easier for me to shoot accurately.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I only have about 250 rounds through my Shield, but haven't had one problem yet. I really enjoy shooting it and it carries great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have about 500-600 rounds through my Shield. My father-in-law bought it initially. I didn't care to much for it after holding it but after I shot it I was really surprised at how well it shot.

I ended up buying it from him and now carry it almost everyday. I have large hands and added a talon grip and man it's nice. I shot it this weekend and it was hot and the humidity was extremely high. Even with very sweaty hands I was able to run it hard just like a full size pistol. I love mine.

James Yeager has a few videos on the Shield. He doesn't baby it and runs it for, I'm thinking, 7,000 rounds with no problems. Mine has been flawless as well.

I

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I have one as do both my sons and my dad. The only problems we've had were 2 or the 4 had the dot fall out of the front sight.

As far as shooting, no problems at all but as you mentioned it is a slim gun, shoot it if you can before you make the deal. We love ours but it may not be for you.

I am a snub guy but bought a shield, (I usually try most of the new wonder guns) I actually was impressed shoots great fed a whole bunch of different cheap ammo no hiccups. I did have a prob with one of the mags falling out. I called Smith they emailed me a shipping label immediately I sent it in had it back in a week works great. Very good cc I will be keeping this one for awhile. Very easy to cc.
    Last edited by Easy8; June 3rd, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I love my Shield. I am a smaller guy with smaller hands so I've never had the grip issues with it that you've had while holding it. Shoots great and a joy to carry. I also have a M&P9c and now that we are in summer weather here, I mostly carry the Shield. Since you had a CW9, I assume you want to go with the 9mm Shield. There have been reports of magazines dropping from the Shield in .40 S&W. Not sure if S&W has fixed the problem. But no reports of issues with the mags in 9mm.

My shield 9 has about 300 rounds through it with no ftf or eject problems. So far it eats everything. I did put a new trigger in it, as the stock felt a little "gritty" to me, which helped some, along with some Trijicon night sights. It's hard to choose between the Shield 9 and my XDs .45 for carry, as they're both about the same size. First on the list here at the range for the new XDs 9 that's supposed to be coming out this week!

I can shoot my shield as accurately as my Colt govt. @ 10 yards. This is one of those guns that I first hated then REALLY grew on me. I leave the safety down and it has never moved on me so that shouldn't even be considered. I had to send mine to S&W for repair after owning it for a few weeks but it came back a Winner for sure. It really eats any load you can think of, Critical Duty+P, Ranger Sxt 147, Pdx1+p, any FMJ no matter the casing. Recoil is super manageable. The way this gun performs makes me hold it to a higher standard than a single stack subcomp. If you add up the reliability, accuracy and ergos you cant lose. The best part is If you have any problems S&W will send you postage and when you get the pistol back it will be 100%. The Melonite finish is plenty strong I have no sign of wear from my Kydex holster. Also want to mention that my particular gun has an apex sear and aprx 4.5 lb trigger pull. I can dump a mag of +P ammo into a fist sized hole at defensive distances. I recommend staying away from the .40 caliber, it will slow the gun down and make it less fun.

Mike I think I recommend this gun to you a week or so ago, let me reiterate You cant lose on the shield, If you decide you hate it there will be a 100 guys ready to buy it from you.

My .40cal shield shoots great so far but it is still new. I did notice that it is louder than my SD40VE at the range. Shoots like a full size and recoil is comparable to the SD40VE. Yes they are rare out there. I searched for over 3 months for the one I found. The guy behind the counter says he has never seen the .40 cal until he saw the 2 that came in and one of them was mine. Both sold in less than 6 hours. BTW.....They didn't have any 9's in either.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links