40 S&W Shield.........incredible gun!

This is a discussion on 40 S&W Shield.........incredible gun! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought one of these little honeys now that the price has come down to reality. I paid $478 out the door for mine, still ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 40 S&W Shield.........incredible gun!

40 S&W Shield.........incredible gun!

I bought one of these little honeys now that the price has come down to reality. I paid $478 out the door for mine, still a little high but I had to have one. I took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it today. WOW!

It is almost as accurate as my 1911, 100% reliable (even with handloads and factory reloads), and the recoil is just plain TAME. I have shot the 9mm Shield and it is almost ZERO recoil to me. But I figured the 40 would recoil pretty hard in such a small gun. I was expecting it to feel a lot like my XDS, I was wrong. This thing shoots 165gr and 180gr loads and feels like my M&P9c did with +P ammo. VERY controllable. I was able to put double taps within an inch of each other repeatedly at 21 feet.

Some report issues with the longer mag, I had no such issues. It fed and ejected wonderfully. The trigger is better than my normal M&P's but it still is very vague IMO. Not a super crisp break or reset, but that does not affect the shootability one bit so I was fine with it.

Overall I am VERY happy with this gun. It is a joy to carry and so light and thin I forget it is with me. For summertime carry (which for me is 6 months of the year) I will absolutely be toting this thing with me. And with the new Comptac holster (which is amazing in it's own right) it is just plain comfy.

So here is the new piece (nothing special to look at) and holster rig, what a combo!
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

I too bought one of these last week. I have only put about 50 rounds through it so far, but with a lot of fun and reliability. Mine is also in the .40 cal to match the other pistols and the one carbine I own. No sense changing calibers especially with ammo "shortage" there is. I am hoping to have more "fun" shooting this pistol, even my 115lbs wife likes to shoot it.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky109 View Post
    I too bought one of these last week. I have only put about 50 rounds through it so far, but with a lot of fun and reliability. Mine is also in the .40 cal to match the other pistols and the one carbine I own. No sense changing calibers especially with ammo "shortage" there is. I am hoping to have more "fun" shooting this pistol, even my 115lbs wife likes to shoot it.
    Yea, I had a 9mm shield for about a week. After paying $50 for 100 rounds (cheapest I can find) I dumped it for the .40 (which I can find boxes of 50 rounds for $16 all day long). And I like what the .40 brings to the table anyways. No caliber war please, both are fine, I just prefer the .40.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

With the most heartyfelt love possible...I hate you. I have yet to see a retail shield for a remotely reasonable price. Congrats on the new piece !!!! Ill get one soon enough :)
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    With the most heartyfelt love possible...I hate you. I have yet to see a retail shield for a remotely reasonable price. Congrats on the new piece !!!! Ill get one soon enough :)
    LOL! Come on down here. Two local pawn shops are selling them for $439 at 7% tax rate and even the LGS's (where I bought mine) are at $449 plus 7% tax. Might be worth a road trip! Honestly though, it is an under-priced gun IMO. Other than the fact that you don't get a real carrying case with it, it should sell for the same price as the normal M&P's. After shooting this one, I'd gladly pay $500 for it. Yes, it is THAT good IMO.

my best friend has one in 9mm and he loves it. He put an apex trigger kit in it and it is freaking awesome.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Good report. Glad you like it and its workin good for ya. Im looking into the 9mm version for summer carry. To complement my 9c. I dont worry to much about 9mm prices cuz I reload so Ill probably get the 9mm. Enjoy yours.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Good report. Glad you like it and its workin good for ya. Im looking into the 9mm version for summer carry. To complement my 9c. I dont worry to much about 9mm prices cuz I reload so Ill probably get the 9mm. Enjoy yours.
    To me, the 9mm version is softer shooting than the 9c. It is a gem. A year ago I'd be all over the 9mm.

Congrats. I have a tendency to really like those small compact and sub compacts that America puts out Rugers and S&W's. (I like the design of Springfield's compacts but their made in Croatia, i have an issue with that)
    Fisher10 likes this.

I ve got the 9 an love it. Your going to appreciate more when you start carrying it. I got the rosen clip for it works great

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Nice! .40 S&W ammo is back in stock locally in huge quantities at a good price. Scheel's has a mountain of WWB for $37/100. Makes me start to think about getting a .40 since 9mm ammo is still overpriced.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    (I like the design of Springfield's compacts but their made in Croatia, i have an issue with that)
    Glad you said this, that "made in Croatia" crap was ALL over my XDs, like they were trying to showcase that fact. It bothered me to the point I sold the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Nice! .40 S&W ammo is back in stock locally in huge quantities at a good price. Scheel's has a mountain of WWB for $37/100. Makes me start to think about getting a .40 since 9mm ammo is still overpriced.
    No question. My local Ace has TONS of .40 S&W for $16.99 per box of 50. Yes please! I am back to shooting at my normal, before the liberals began going nuts with gun ban talk, intervals. Couple hundred a week!
    Fisher10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    LOL! Come on down here. Two local pawn shops are selling them for $439 at 7% tax rate and even the LGS's (where I bought mine) are at $449 plus 7% tax. Might be worth a road trip! Honestly though, it is an under-priced gun IMO. Other than the fact that you don't get a real carrying case with it, it should sell for the same price as the normal M&P's. After shooting this one, I'd gladly pay $500 for it. Yes, it is THAT good IMO.
    I paid $449.00 and NO TAX.....out the door with my new .40. I did try to talk them down.....with any discount...LOL I did get points for the purchase and will use it to buy something else I am sure.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

I see way more 9mm than .40 here. I keep buying the 100 round 9mm Federal packs for $21.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I see way more 9mm than .40 here. I keep buying the 100 round 9mm Federal packs for $21.
    Wow. Not the case in my neck of the woods. A lot of people have made a second business being at Walmart at 6am and waiting to buy up as much 9mm as they can only to turn around and sell it for $25-$30 per 50. I have a real job and my time is worth more than standing in line at Wal-Mart for 9mm ammo. I'll just buy the .40 and hopefully drive the scalpers out of business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links