First Gun Advice - Which .40 to get?

This is a discussion on First Gun Advice - Which .40 to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a soon-to-be gun owner and need some advice for my first handgun, to be used for personal defense and target shooting. Because I live ...

View Poll Results: Best .40

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 22

34 27.87%
  • Sig P226

35 28.69%
  • HK USP

11 9.02%
  • S&W M&P

42 34.43%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: First Gun Advice - Which .40 to get?

I'm a soon-to-be gun owner and need some advice for my first handgun, to be used for personal defense and target shooting. Because I live in the lovely state of New Jersey, there is 0% chance that I'll get a concealed carry permit, so I'm looking to get a full sized gun in .40 caliber. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me. The factors that I'm looking at are quality, reliability, mag size and durability. Price isn't really a deal breaker.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Glock 22
    Sig P226
    HK USP
    S&W M&P

Any suggestions?

GH
    I can vouch for Glocks & M&Ps. I'm not real familiar with the Sig or HK. I know Sigs are more expensive but could be worth it.
    For concealed carry I'd suggest the Glock 23 or M&P 40C, both of which will accept the larger mags from the G22 & 40FS. For even smaller handguns the counterparts would be Glock 27 & Shield 40.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Can you borrow/rent all 4? If possible try them all then decide. What feels right for me (which happens to be an XD) might not feel right in your hand. In a funny way, not being able to carry concealed makes your decision a little easier.

Glock 22 carried it as a duty weapon for years. It's reliable simple to use and powerful. I keep one of it's 9mm cousins the Glock 19 but I'm not in NJ with their ammo restrictions.

Those are all excellent choices, all with excellent quality, durability and reliability. I think the trigger action is an important factor; my preference for a full-size gun would be DA/SA, which is available for the sig and h&k but not the striker-fired glock or m&p. Also the feel of the grip would be a factor, which is an individual preference. Finally, I'd prefer one with an accessory rail (picatinny) for mounting a standard light and/or laser sight. These are generally put on most new full-size guns, but if you buy used may not be there.

Other options to consider are a Ruger SR40, or the variety of .40 pistols made by CZ (the CZ 75 variants).

If size isn't a factor, I'd highly recommend the M&P45 or Glock 21. Massive amounts of .45 acp goodness beats 40 cal goodness! I prefer M&P's over Glocks (but have both). For carry, I like small .40's, but for you, the .45 acp or even 10mm might be fun!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

GLOCK! Why .40?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    While I carry a HK P2000 SK, I gave the thumbs up to the Sig P-226 as two of my student have gone with that model. They found the handling and the follow up shots no problem.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    GLOCK! Why .40?
    Based on the current political climate in NJ. "High Capacity" mags are on the way out in NJ. The smaller capacity .45 mags will still be available after the ban, so I figured I'd start with a .40 or 9mm so I can get the clip I want before its too late.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AWar77 View Post
    Based on the current political climate in NJ. "High Capacity" mags are on the way out in NJ. The smaller capacity .45 mags will still be available after the ban, so I figured I'd start with a .40 or 9mm so I can get the clip I want before its too late.
    Since you are new to guns I'll be the first to tell you, it is a MAGAZINE not a clip.

Move out of Jersey. Then you can have the freedoms you are granted under the U.S. Constitution.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

All are great choices, you might want to throw in th CZ duty since your going full size great gun good price

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I would recommend a XD, XDM, or a XDs. My EDC has been a XD40 SC since early 2008 and never a failure of any type with over 7K rounds down the pipe.
    alafan likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Full size I would go with the Glock, if it were a CC I would go with the S&W Shield

Of the .40's you mention, I have owned a gen 4 glock 22, and a sig p229 (identical grip to the 226) and would say that of those two only, I'd probably say the glock. Sig is an all metal pistol and I love them, but they have 1.5'' width grips, which sucks for smaller hands, and the trigger reach is long. The glock was great for me, a great trigger, a lot of reliability, but a large lack of safety. Im not getting into the arguement on it here, but my for me personally, the trigger "safety" being the only thing between me or my kids or anyone else, and a ND/AD, wasn't enough. I sold it and bought a springfield XDM .40. It is the best shooting .40 i have ever owned. Never had a single issue with feeding/ejecting or otherwise. They can be had new under 600 bucks and they are truly top notch. 16+1 or 11+1 in the compact version, which is much better for concealment. If I had the 5 of them (including the xdm) laid on a table, id pick up the xdm each time.

Have you considered the Springfield XDm in .40? Also, if you've never shot a .40 the recoil is much snappier and harsher than even a .45. Take a look at the Fullsize .45 Glocks, M&Ps and XDm's

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links