Dan Wesson 357 Mag

Dan Wesson 357 Mag

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson 357 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here it is ...grips are awful ..I have another set around here somewhere...trigger is crisp.... Monson Mass. The finish is parkerized..I sorta like it,...Its alot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 Mag

Dan Wesson 357 Mag

Here it is ...grips are awful ..I have another set around here somewhere...trigger is crisp....
    Monson Mass.

The finish is parkerized..I sorta like it,...Its alot like on my RIA 1911.....

Picked this gun up at a near by Pawn Shop...I had a gun in layaway there ..but it had issues.(stolen issues)...so the Owner cut me a sweet deal on this Dan Wesson....alot more gun than the one I was looking at..but I'm extremely pleased

According to Dan Wesson this is a small frame...but its closer to size of a S&W L frame or a Ruger GP100..

I have a great pancake for the gun..when I get my different grips on it .she will be easy to carry...

yeah those grips are rough looking, but it looks like it will be a sweet piece with some new ones. I dont think those are the original grips, the grip wear is more severe, where the gun itself doesnt seem to have any wear at all.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Save up gemini would make a sweet snub out of it

Hey buckeye63;

Those stocks could be show-stoppers with just a little work. They look as if they have some good grain and figure in them. Just strip that flaky yet snotty slick finish off of them and oil 'em up with linseed oil after the merest light sanding, taking care to stay off the checkering.
    msgt/ret, kmagnuss and bigmacque like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Nice and I agree on the refinishing, there looks to be some nice looking grain under that old finish. Had a Dan Wesson many years ago, another one I regret selling.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That looks like a good one. Understated, simple, sweet trigger, grips that'll look fantastic once worked on a bit.

Nice find.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post

Here it is ...grips are awful ..I have another set around here somewhere...trigger is crisp....
    Monson Mass.

The finish is parkerized..I sorta like it,...Its alot like on my RIA 1911.....

Picked this gun up at a near by Pawn Shop...I had a gun in layaway there ..but it had issues.(stolen issues)...so the Owner cut me a sweet deal on this Dan Wesson....alot more gun than the one I was looking at..but I'm extremely pleased

According to Dan Wesson this is a small frame...but its closer to size of a S&W L frame or a Ruger GP100..

I have a great pancake for the gun..when I get my different grips on it .she will be easy to carry...
    It looks like a small frame DW with a large frame grip on it. Here is one of my model 715 large frames.dan wesson.JPGdanwesson2.JPG
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    It looks like a small frame DW with a large frame grip on it. Here is one of my model 715 large frames.dan wesson.JPGdanwesson2.JPG
    As far as I know, DW made four double action frame sizes: Supermag (414, 445 supermag etc), Large (41mag, 44mag, etc), small (357Mag and smaller), and the Lil Dans whichI believe were 38 spl only. The 15/715 are the small frame and actual large frame grips won't fit without modification on them because the small frame's grip stud is square while the large/supermax stud is round.

Congrats on the DW, they're great shooters. Never seen one that was parked before, I prefer a blued one myself though that looks very business-like. I've got a 15-2 V pistol pack with 2.5, 4, 6, and 8" barrels/shrouds plus a well-loved (by the previous owner) extra VH shroud. I also picked up a 6" shroud from EWK and that thing is a beast! Looks great and it weighs a ton, I can't remember the exact weight difference but I want to say the assembly weighed 14oz more than my stock 8" V assembly. Enjoy the DW

Senior Moderator
    Definitely been refinished.
    The typical Dan had some beautiful bluing on it and it was one of the most accurate production revolvers ever built.

I've got a 6" .357 that I've had for nearly 30 years. I'll never get rid of it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Congrats! Older DWs are good revolvers for the money. You should get a lot of usage out of it and be able to pass it on to the next generation.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, very durable and accurate.

I've always had good luck with Rugers and DWs.

Have liked the Zebra looking grips for DW revolvers.

Distinguished Member
    Like Badger, I have a 15-2 pack with 4 barrels. My first handgun purchase way back in the olden days. We didn't even have colors back then, everything was black and white. Anyway, they're awesome guns. I've toted mine all over the Wyoming Rockies....and it did get heavy at times but that was back then. Enjoy.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Definitely been refinished.
    The typical Dan had some beautiful bluing on it and it was one of the most accurate production revolvers ever built.

I've got a 6" .357 that I've had for nearly 30 years. I'll never get rid of it.
    Me too. They are great guns

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Congrats, that is a score especially if you got a good deal on it. You will have a carry gun that packs quite a punch.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Nice 14 series revolver. I to hated the stock woods grips and those are a standard grip but probably for the 15 series. Check out LB custom grips for a better choice in wood. I use hogue soft rubber grips on my dw revolvers for better control not for looks. hehe . I have 4 for them. 1-22lr , 2- 357mag and a 44mag .
    LB Custom Grips

And EWKarms for anything almost that's DW revolver related.
    EWK Arms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links