Sig p250, p238, etc.

Sig p250, p238, etc.

This is a discussion on Sig p250, p238, etc. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've came across ad's and looked at both of these and some other subcompact models online. Any owners of the two able to comment on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p250, p238, etc.

Sig p250, p238, etc.

I've came across ad's and looked at both of these and some other subcompact models online. Any owners of the two able to comment on them or others? This will be my first SIG pistol.

I'm leaning more towards the P238 far as looks go, I've yet to be able to handle either one yet though. It'll be for IWB role.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    I tried to love a 238 and I just couldn't. I've never been comfortable with the 380 caliber but was willing to give the Sig the benefit. Early issues and factory fixes were followed by 500-600 flawless rounds. Then it got picky on ammo. Specifically, my reloads. More attempts to smooth it out with no luck. If you hand load and own a side arm that won't take your loads, it ain't worth a tinkers damn....especially with the tedium of loading those 380's. I went j frame and that was that.

Too bad, I really liked the platform. But I'm more comfortable with the 38+P anyway. Just my 2 cents. Good luck partner. There is thems that loves 'em.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I recommend shooting the P250 before buying. Very long trigger pull and reset. I love mine 250 but lots of people complaint about the trigger. To me it is smooth and I like it. But it takes practice.
    foxytwo, Rigrat and DJC7 like this.

I'm one of them that loves 'em. It is indeed a little jewel, a miniature of a 1911. Never a FTL, FTF or an FTE. Of course I am not using hand loads in .380 which would void the Sig warranty. I use the extended mag which gives an extra 1/2" or so of grip, which helps me a lot, and there are SD rounds out there now in .380 that are ballistically equal to the 9mm. The MAIN reason I bought it was for my wife because it was the only semi auto we found that she could rack the action. Smooth as silk. She prefers her Lady Smith .357 Magnum, so I get to carry the P238 which is a great hot weather sidearm, easily concealable.
    Academy Sports carries them with the extended mag for around $450 which is a deal. Check the price out on their web site to be sure.

I'm a happy P250 subcompact owner. I currently have a 9mm, but want to get a couple caliber exchange kits after they become available again. I've heard the kits are on hold for now because all the parts are going to keeping up the complete gun production line.

Someone who is expecting a1911 style single action trigger probably won't like it, but I find it one of the smoothest double action triggers I've used. The P250 is very accurate, dependable, and a great value for a Sig

Distinguished Member
    I think you need to decide which caliber you want first. A 250 is a 9mm and the P238 is a .380. Let's get our priorities straight first and decide on caliber before we consider looks. If you like the look of the P238 but want the better 9mm caliber, get the P938. Just a tiny bit larger than the P238 and unless you tell people, they all assume you have a P238. I also have a P238 but never carry it anymore since the P938 fits just as well in my pocket and it is chambered in a caliber that is not the bottom of the barrel in defensive calibers. I have nothing against the .380 as I own three guns chambered for that caliber but when I am outside of my safe retirement community I carry either the P938, XDs or a .357 snub nose because I can easily handle those calibers and they all fit nicely in my pocket so why not? The older guys here tend towards the .380 due to recoil issues. I have arthritis in my hands so I keep them handy for those days when my hands are giving me problems.

The P238 is the best .380 I have ever owned and I have owned quit a few of them. You can get 10" of penetration in ballistic gel with it, much less if you hit bone. If you are comfortable with that, then the P238 is a fine choice and they come in all sorts of beautiful designs. I am old fashioned. All my guns are plain black with black grips. I think I have one gun that is sort of pretty. :)
    Kennydale likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

The P250 is also made in .380 now. I have a P238, P938, and a P250 sub compact in .40 S&W. I like all of these guns but if I was only going to have one it would be the P938 which is a small
    9mm. If you can find any P238 for as little as $450 please let me know and jump on it.

I had a P250 in .40 and sold it...it's a real chunk of a gun, with a VERY long DA trigger pull....

Well it seems that Academy Sports prices are a little higher for the P238 than they were a few months back, but not by much. Check out the prices on the 938 also. AND they are on the shelves!

Academy - SIG SAUER P238 .380 Auto Pistol

Can't tell you anything about the 380 but I have a P250 subcompact in 9mm. The gun has a hammer. I like that.

The trigger has a very long pull before releasing the sear and a very long reset. The trigger pull has a constant weight from beginning to sear release. It is the smoothest trigger I've ever tried with the possible exception of my Smith 686 revolver. It is very smooth. Also there is absolutely no stacking. I would guess the pull weight is 5 - 6lbs. As mentioned, the reset is long. Also the trigger has unlimited second strike capability just like a double action revolver.

The grip is short and has no room for the pinkie finger. However being double stacked there's room for 12 rounds. Pretty impressive for a subcompact. The gun is top heavy. A full size grip would help balance things out.

It's very accurate and mine has never had a malfunction. If deep concealment is a priority the subcompact would do the job.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I have EDCd a P250SC in 9mm for a bit over a year in an IWB. Completely reliable. Easy to conceal. I really like the trigger - it's like a really nice revolver trigger, but lighter and smoother. Others don't care for it. Try it and see which camp you're in. SC now comes in .380, 9, 40, 357, and 45. I've got the 45 in Compact, and it shoots really nicely also, but I don't carry it or shoot it nearly as often as the SC 9.

Definitely bigger than the P238 and P938, and a much different trigger.

If you're looking at Sigs, I'd also check out the P239 and P224. All-steel pistols, single and double-stack, respectively, with the DA/SA trigger (I don't think either come in a SAO yet). Also the P290, which is a DAO single-stack polymer. I like the trigger on the P250 better than the P290, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggityd View Post
    I recommend shooting the P250 before buying. Very long trigger pull and reset. I love mine 250 but lots of people complaint about the trigger. To me it is smooth and I like it. But it takes practice.
    Ran several magazines through my sons P250 fullsize. It felt like a really big Kel Tec. I'm not knockin' it...got 2 Kel Tecs and like them ok. Wouldn't take much to get used to it. His was a brand new gun, and the trigger was very smooth all the way through. Could get used to it.

Traded for a Sig P250 compact 9mm not long ago. Lots of people don't like them because of the long DA pull. But it is extremely smooth like a old S&W k-frame DA pull. I've heard you can install a short trigger and a short reset in them.

I like mine and am considering one in 40 caliber.

As far as the .380, only have 1 and its a Ruger LCP for those days that the larger handguns don't fit the situation.

I had a chance to shoot my buddy's P-250sc and compact. I really liked it. As others have said, the trigger pull is long, but really smooth. He has had zero failures out of either the compact or subcompact after hundreds of rounds. Right from the start I was more accurate with the compact than I was with the Ruger P-95 I've had for several years. The subcompact was about equal with my P-95 in accuracy. I love the modularity of the P-250. Being able to swap the trigger assembly from one size frame to another is neat and of course all of the different caliber kits are a plus. If you're not specifically looking for a pocket pistol I'd go with the P-250.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have a P250 subcompact and a P250 fullsize in 9mm. I have been carrying my sc in a old faithfull iwb holster and it conceals great for me and the 12+1 is pretty nice too. I don't mind the DAO trigger, it is just something you have to learn like anything else if you have never used it before. I don't have really any experience with too many other handguns so I can't say if its good or bad compared with other triggers.

One good this about the 250 is the price seems pretty low. It's not a fancy gun by any means but that doesn't mean its a bad gun, I have not had any problems with it, and since it's nothing special to look at I don't mind if it gets a scratch or a little worn from carrying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links