Short Taurus 1911 range report

This is a discussion on Short Taurus 1911 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after all the commotion about the piece, I decided to pick one up. My favorite gun store usually can't keep them on the shelf ...

Well, after all the commotion about the piece, I decided to pick one up. My favorite gun store usually can't keep them on the shelf for more than five minutes assuming they even make it to the shelf. So while shooting the breeze there one day, they got a shipment, and my fiance' had been talking about wanting a 1911, so I couldn't help myself (and I wanted to play with it too). So here are a few of my thoughts and experiences with it.

First the bad:
    1. The finish leaves a lot to be desired. When they came into the shop, they had obviously been fired at the factory, but never cleaned or lubed afterwards. They were bone dry, so their were a few surface rust spots. So I had to clean and lube before I went to the range. Also the finish isn't very resilient, and showed some gentle wear already just from the factory test firing.
    2. The front strap checkering is there but just isn't very "grippy". Also, in some places it just doesn't look that great. However, its nothing I can't fix with some time.

Overall: It looks like a $500 gun, but with a few dollars, I can make it look better if I chose to. Not really sure if it's worth it for two reasons: first, I bought it for my fiance' and she likes it the way it is, and two its more a works horse than anything else. Its probably going to end up as a IPSC gun for her and it doesn't have to look great to perform that function.

The good:
    1. This thing is a SHOOTER! I've owned a few Kimbers (no Custom Shop Kimbers, so I can't speak for these), and it shoots as well if not better than all of them. At 21' they were all going through the same hole. I wish I had to capability to bench rest it, but unfortunately I don't.
    2. Its reliable. I shot about 300 rounds of various FMJ (WWB, Remington, Blazer, etc.), and a few 185 gr Golden Saber I had left over from when I was carrying a Kimber Stainless Ultra II, and not a single FTE or FTF. It ran like a champ.
    3. The trigger. The biggest complaint I had heard from most owners or people who had handled it was the gritty trigger. Mine was smooth as silk, and broke around 3.5 - 4 lbs.
    4. Fit. It was fit together pretty well. No barrel wiggle, and very little slide to frame wiggle (although a little more than I'd like).
    5. Came with two 8 round magazines, and they both worked well. I also had her fire with an old Kimber mag, and a Wilson I had bought for her, and they all worked equally as well.
    6. Heinie sights. Although they don't look like genuine Heinie's, they line up pretty well and sight pic it pretty good to.
    7. Ambi safety. Gives you somewhere to put your thumb for weak hand shooting.

Overall: Not a bad deal for 515 + tax. It is easily worth about 650 in quality, and would be worth even more if it looked better. If you have the opportunity to pick one up and can afford it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Also, don't expect anymore range reports as my fiance' has already told me that its her gun, and i cannot shoot it anymore. any questions shoot me a PM.

Happy shooting!
    Attached Images
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report....seems like near everyone who's mentioned this gun on cyberspace has not been disappointed.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Nice, I've seen other range reports similar. First I heard of the finish
    problems.

Yeah, I been reading about alot of finish problems. Also kept wondering about those Heinie sights... I think I'll pass on a purchase...
    I hope yours works out for you for years to come ...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Mine has been %100,but its a range toy to big to carry 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Also kept wondering about those Heinie sights... ...
    If it's anything like the sights on the 24/7 Pro, they're not actually made by Heinie... From what I understand, they're Heinie pattern, but made by Taurus under license from Heinie. They have "Heinie" on the side, but if you call or write to Heinie to ask about night sights or replacements, they'll just refer you back to Taurus.

yep...the price of the firearm gave that away.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Thanks For The Range Report, Had A Chance To Shoot Mine. Is Amazing,,,,,, 21ft All X 25 Yards All In The Coke Bottle. Cant Ask For More Than That From A $ 459 Gun !

Andy

Yes good guns in a few years will send it off for a hard chrome finish.

Thanks for the comments. How does the fit and finish of the Taurus 1911 compare to a Springer or Norinco? Regards, Richard

If it is a dependable shooter, then it will make a good carry gun.
    Personally I don't care how well the finish last on my carry gun, once it shows good carry wear it then has 'Class". I have been thinking of buying one but just haven't come up eith extra money yet.

If I decide I want a .45 (and can convince myself that I could use it as a CCW weapon) I've already told myself the Taurus 1911 is the handgun I'll buy. For it's cost, it seems hard to beat.
    Beretta 92FS

taurus can make a good gun. and for the price you can not beat it.

Links