Taurus PT-740 Slim 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-740 Slim 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been thinking about a Taurus PT-740..... seems like a good conceal carry option ..with the 40 S&W bite... Any of you guys tote one of ...

Thread: Taurus PT-740 Slim 40 S&W

Taurus PT-740 Slim 40 S&W

Been thinking about a Taurus PT-740..... seems like a good conceal carry option ..with the 40 S&W bite...

Any of you guys tote one of these...???

2. Remove Ads

I had a Taurus PT709 which is the 9mm version and had close to 6000 problem free rounds through mine before I sold it to a LEO to be used as his backup weapon. God Bless

prepare for the taurus bashing..... Im not a fan of tuarus, and wont own another gun from them. That said, there many satisfied owners ot tuarus. Take everything with a grain of salt do your home work, and if you still like it, get one. If you decide to not keep it, it will sell easily. As far as the .40 cal goes in compact guns, I dont reccommend it but that is my personal opinion. I have found it to be too darn snappy in recoil in the pocket guns to allow for fast follow up shots, and some small guns can be quie uncomfortable to shoot with .40 cal when they are that small. If you are looking for power in a small package, i would look for an XDs in .45..... easier shooting in the small guns, poacks a wallop, you dont lose much in capcity... or 9mm for a little more ammo if that is important
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My wife picked one up at a gun show for her carry weapon. Put probably 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems, but I am not a fan. Taurahe has it right...it's just too darn small for me to hold onto it comfortably. I carry a Ruger SR40c and love shooting it, but the Taurus is just too small. She recently shot a friends Bersa Thunder 380 and loved it, so I'm pretty sure we'll end up trading it in on one. I'm not a Taurus hater, it's just too small for me.

"I have found it to be too darn snappy in recoil in the pocket guns to allow for fast follow up shots, and some small guns can be quie uncomfortable to shoot with .40 cal when they are that small. " Quote from Taurahe

I was thinking the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    "I have found it to be too darn snappy in recoil in the pocket guns to allow for fast follow up shots, and some small guns can be quie uncomfortable to shoot with .40 cal when they are that small. " Quote from Taurahe

I was thinking the same thing....
    It is a point to consider..... I love the .40 cal and all of my guns are .40 cal .... just not a caliber for pocket guns. If you want a small gun that is rocking... check out the ruger LCR...I carry mine more than anything else now.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Not a fan of Taurus pistols here but I won't bash them. Personally, I am very fond of the 40 S&W and feel the Glock 27 is one of the best sub compacts available. Recoil is very manageable and the little pistols are quite accurate. I sometimes pocket carry the Glock 27 in a MIC holster and can hardly tell it is there.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I never had any issues with Taurus handguns ..but most of them have been revolvers ..I had a couple of 24-7's one in 9mm and one in 40S&W ..both where great guns...but I have not owned compact Taurus Semi...

I have one, it is currently doing time in Miami Dade county and has been a habitual offender...nothing catastrophic, but 4 trips in a year is pretty bad. This past time, I sent in my barrel due to rust, they subsequently lost it and never told me (I haven't had a functional gun for 4 months), expressed amazement when I called to inquire and wanted me to pay $65 to ship the remain parts to the (yeah right, they eventually sent a label). The gun, when functional, is a good concept but pretty unpleasant to shoot. It snaps violently and the Taurus grip texture is very sharp, I had to put a rubber grip on it to save my palms. It is so rough that it even tore up a soft Pachmayr I tried, a Hogue Handall JR works much better. Unless you have the palm callouses of a 13 year old boy, you will need it.

With the Pearce extension on the mag, I can shoot decently well, without it or beyond 10 yards forget it. I'm a pretty decent (not great, but decent) shooter, but can't hit jack beyond close range.

Bottom line, don't buy it. Their QC is very spotty, the gun is a female dog to shoot and other guns in .40 aren't much larger. I am, however, intrigued to see the new 140G2, I handled a 111G2 and it felt solid and is nicely sized for being a double stack.

Also, Taurus CS is awful...getting an operator who speaks English is an accomplishment alone. I have met more fluent speakers at the local Home Depot at 7am...

It's not fun to shoot. I guess thats the trade off for small size and weight....... i bought mine to carry, not take to the range every day(if that makes any sense). I am very happy with my 740

from my phone

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    It is a point to consider..... I love the .40 cal and all of my guns are .40 cal .... just not a caliber for pocket guns. If you want a small gun that is rocking... check out the ruger LCR...I carry mine more than anything else now.
    Hmmmm.....My S&W .40cal Shield fits in my back pocket as well as my front pocket. Works pretty good in there with a DaSanti holster. Almost as good as my Taurus TCP. The TCP is lighter though.

PS.....I was looking for a Taurus .40 slim since I was having a hard time finding the Shield.....but as you can see, the Shield was found first.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

I do have a 740 and love it. With the pierce extentions it handles great the gun being snappy is true but it is no different than any .40 that's compact I've fired about 500 rounds through it and I would not call it an everyday shooter but I do call it my edc

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Links