M&P45 Compact (I'm going through an M&P phase!)

This is a discussion on M&P45 Compact (I'm going through an M&P phase!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I picked this little bugger up from my LGS the other day because I wanted a striker fired 45 ACP in my collection. This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: M&P45 Compact (I'm going through an M&P phase!)

So I picked this little bugger up from my LGS the other day because I wanted a striker fired 45 ACP in my collection. This one just seemed to fit my hand perfectly (like most M&P's) and while not purchased to be my EDC, it is small enough to be carried if I so choose. I like the 4" barrel, I like the rail, and I like the scales on the front portion of the slide. The trigger unfortunately is standard, mushy, M&P fare. I might go the Apex route, I dunno.

I am excited about this gun and hope to shoot it tomorrow. I am really in an M&P phase right now, I am digging them. The looks, the reliability, the finish, and they are American made, how can you go wrong?

I also did some more aggressive stippling than I put on my Shield. It really adds some bite to the grips and should help keep hold when shooting my +P defense loads.

Here is a pic, I'll post some pics of my targets when I shoot it.

Attached Images
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Nice buy.. Can you possibly post a picture of that with some other guns for a little size comparison ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Nice buy.. Can you possibly post a picture of that with some other guns for a little size comparison ?
    Sure, here you go. This is next to my M&P Shield. You can see, the thickness and barrel length are the only real differences. With the longer mag, the shield is actually longer in the grip. But the 45c is a fat gun. I'd say just a hair wider than a G23/G19. Feels better in the hand though and no different to me in a holster IWB than my M&P40c feels (though the 45 is just a hair wider)
    Attached Images
    Sap03 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'm still stuck on the same old, boring, reliable Colt 1911, Glock 19, and M10 S&W.

Seems like they come out with a better mouse trap everyday anymore, yet, I can't get over these three.

Congrads on the new gun though. Give us a range report.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'm still stuck on the same old, boring, reliable Colt 1911, Glock 19, and M10 S&W.

Seems like they come out with a better mouse trap everyday anymore, yet, I can't get over these three.

Congrads on the new gun though. Give us a range report.
    I wish I could stick to 3 guns. Seems I have to "try" them all. I do a lot of buying, and a lot of trading. I am hopeful that the Shield will satisfy my need for the "perfect" carry gun (for hot weather) and the 45c will fill the roll in the colder months as well as some home defense duty. I have a DISEASE and I wish I could stop, I really do!

Will post a range report for sure.
    JT353 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I wish I could stick to 3 guns. Seems I have to "try" them all. I do a lot of buying, and a lot of trading. I am hopeful that the Shield will satisfy my need for the "perfect" carry gun (for hot weather) and the 45c will fill the roll in the colder months as well as some home defense duty. I have a DISEASE and I wish I could stop, I really do!

Will post a range report for sure.
    Not a chance pal. That's part of the right of passage. It's fun to have something new.

However, one day, you will slap yourself up side the head and realize that there was something you had and now don't that was really the one that filled most of your needs.
    Then you have to backtrack and trade to go back to the basic " brace" of pistols that you now know we're what you really liked.

Happens to all of us sooner or later. Enjoy the ride until then!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yep, I always come back to what I shoot best.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on the new toy. It took me a while to warm up to the m&p trigger. But liking it more. I thought of the apex route but this is my edc and home defense gun. Dont know if I want to mod anything on my main carry. Enjoy yours and post a range report when you get to run it through its paces.

Sure, here you go. This is next to my M&P Shield. You can see, the thickness and barrel length are the only real differences. With the longer mag, the shield is actually longer in the grip. But the 45c is a fat gun. I'd say just a hair wider than a G23/G19. Feels better in the hand though and no different to me in a holster IWB than my M&P40c feels (though the 45 is just a hair wider)
    Very nice, good job on the stipple. That seems like a pretty handy sized .45, It holds 8+1 correct ? I wish m&p made some models the same size as the g19&23, I would love to try those out.

I love mine. Fit is perfect for me. It's like an extension of myself.

Trigger smoothes out a lot after a while. Spend an evening just pulling the trigger, not necessarily cocking and dry firing, just pulling the trigger. Helps a lot!
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Very nice, good job on the stipple. That seems like a pretty handy sized .45, It holds 8+1 correct ? I wish m&p made some models the same size as the g19&23, I would love to try those out.
    Yep, 8+1. I assume it will accept the full size M&P 45 mags which are 10 rounders. I wish smith and wesson would make the pinky extension mags on the compacts hold more rounds like the Glocks. You could easily add another round on the pinky mag that came with the 45.

Yep, 8+1. I assume it will accept the full size M&P 45 mags which are 10 rounders. I wish smith and wesson would make the pinky extension mags on the compacts hold more rounds like the Glocks. You could easily add another round on the pinky mag that came with the 45.
    Amen... I thought the same thing when I got my 45c... "Why didn't they make this mag hold 9 rounds?". BTW, you are correct in your assumption about it accepting the full-size M&P mags.
    smolck likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I like them. I have only shot the full sized 9mm, but it made me very interested in the 45c for carry. That being said I am hesitant as the Colt 1911 has the same capacity and is thinner. But variety is the spice of life. Maybe a full sized MnP45. Enjoy it Smolck! Looking forward to your range report!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    That being said I am hesitant as the Colt 1911 has the same capacity and is thinner.
    Yep, no question. I actually thought this was a 10+1 gun when I bought it. Found out when I got home that it was 8+1. Where it beats my Kimbers is grip length. It is almost identical in length as my Shield. So while the 1911 is thinner, this one is better for "deep cover" as I can hide the width easier than the grip length (much like the M&P 45c, I too am short and fat!). The M&P weighs in around 36oz loaded too, so it isn't lighter than the Kimber's either. I suppose it is slightly less chunky than a steel model 1911.

Off to the range, shall report back soon!
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links