Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a little luck, I will be in the market for a revolver next month. I have decided on the Ruger SP101. I was looking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ruger SP101

Ruger SP101

With a little luck, I will be in the market for a revolver next month. I have decided on the Ruger SP101. I was looking on Gun Broker and there was a seller with a 2013 model for almost $1000. His explanation was that the 2013 models were hard to find and that there were improvements made in the new model superior to the older models. Is this true (and if so, what improvements were made) or is this guy just blowing smoke and trying to get $1000 for a Ruger revolver?
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I would also like to have a SP101. Don't have any info on the"new" models. If there is in fact such a thing. Anybody? I thought the going price was around 5-600$.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Yeah, that is the price range I have been seeing them in, but no one else is talking about their model being new and improved.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I think his price is the only thing that is "new and improved."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think so too, but I don't know enough to be sure. I figured that the revolver gurus on here would be able to educate me.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Dont know of any improvements worth 1000.00 nice weapon though I carry one most days image.jpg
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    No way.

I carry two SP 101's picked up each for $350-$400 one new one used. Haven't heard of any improvements. They are rock solid reliable trigger is not as good as a S&W but sweetens with work.

...at my local pawnshop about 3 months ago, I watched mine for almost a month sit there for $550 and offered him $500 out the door...he agreed...two or three tiny scratches shy of new...I'd say $600 would be the highest FAIR price for a stock one...mine's the 2+" factory bobbed .357 DAO...a bit more scarce...with Ruger, I'd rather stick with "tried and true" than "new and improved"...may never buy a new Ruger again...like so many others...it ain't like it used to be...
    tdave likes this.

Thanks for the information guys. I'll stick with something in a reasonable price range and leave the "new and improved" one for someone else.
    Snub44 and tdave like this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. I'll stick with something in a reasonable price range and leave the "new and improved" one for someone else.
    The prices have gone up since "The Panic," but only to about the the 500-ish range for used.

Some people will say anything for a buck. I don't have a SP101, I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but I've handled them. If you buy one new or used, I expect it will outlast you by many years.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I'm going to order one next month, play with it for a few months (to have up some loot) and send it to Gemini Customs for some work!!
    cowboyfromhell likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    With a little luck, I will be in the market for a revolver next month. I have decided on the Ruger SP101. I was looking on Gun Broker and there was a seller with a 2013 model for almost $1000. His explanation was that the 2013 models were hard to find and that there were improvements made in the new model superior to the older models. Is this true (and if so, what improvements were made) or is this guy just blowing smoke and trying to get $1000 for a Ruger revolver?
    I saw that one. If you buy it at that price consider yourself scammed. MSRP for new ones is about $700. If I was in the market for an SP101 I'd be a buyer for that one on Gunbroker at about $500. The seller is counting on the panic and the nice photography to fetch him close to double what the gun is worth. Be advised.
    BigJon10125 and mprp like this.

With a professional trigger job and Crimson Trace grips, I could MAYBE see $1000, but that's pushing it. I have no idea if there were upgrades in recent production, but even if there were, I can't imagine what would be worth an extra $400. Usually if a manufacturer is going to make expensive changes to a design, they'll make a new model number or even product line. Think about cars - they don't raise the price of a model 60% from one year to the next, no matter what upgrades they make.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

If its the auction I'm thinking of with a price of $949.99 (because 950 is just ridiculous) on Gunbroker the seller is out of his mind. Ruger SP101 357Mag 357 Stainless 3" 3in 2013 Model : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

In his description he states that it is brand new, unfired and that he basically cleaned it. Yeah, that's a lot to pay for someone to clean a new revolver. He said he cleaned it for 2 whole hours so at least at fair market prices here in my hometown that means this guy thinks that his cleaning is worth give or take around $200 an hour.

Anybody who pays that price deserves to get burned. I love my Ruger revolvers but I've seen incredibly stupid bidding on gunbroker like a 4" SP101 357 sell for almost $1200. Rugers are great but a currently produced model should not run in that price range.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links