Ruger SR-22...Should I?

Ruger SR-22...Should I?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR-22...Should I? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My name is MJB and I am a gunaholic...there I said it... I don't own a .22 (the horror), and I want to change that. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR-22...Should I?

Ruger SR-22...Should I?

My name is MJB and I am a gunaholic...there I said it...

I don't own a .22 (the horror), and I want to change that. I have looked at the Walther P22, M&P22, SR-22 and am really thinking about getting an SR-22. It feels the best built, is nice and light (unlike the M&P), isn't too expensive and costs very little to shoot. Also, it would alleviate my ongoing concern of shooting through a wall at home and possibly killing someone I didn't want to (I live in a high rise condo building). So this brings up a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone suppressed an SR-22? I don't have a can yet but I plan to get one in the near future (go the trust route).

2) Would you use .22LR for HD given my great concern for drywall over penetration?

3) Any well known problems with the SR-22? I know any gun made in large numbers is going to have some issues but anything widespread I should be aware of?

4) What is the actual fair, non gouged price for .22LR?

1.) No I haven't, but if suppression is your eventual goal, simpler to go with the factory-threaded Ruger 22/45 Lite.

2.) No, as I have great concern for bad guy under-penetration.

3.) SR-22 has a pretty good reputation. You might check over at rimfirecentral.com or rugerforums for a more definitive answer.

4.) "Fair" is a very subjective word, especially regarding ammo prices. Plinking ammo ~$.05 per round. Target ammo ~$.18 per.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Check out YouTube for a suppressed sr-22. I own one and it is a sweet shooter!! There was one problem with a bad batch of takedown levers but that was fixed awhile back! If your on the fence about it, don't worry. I picked mine up in January of 2013 and it is awesome!!! It will eat any ammo I put through it! Next, I would not recommend a .22 for defense. But if its all you have it's better than nothing. I don't know about the penetration of the bullet, there's some other guys and gals on here that can help! If you end up getting one let us know how you like it! Stay safe out there!!! And ps good lock finding ammo;)
    Jabraun

DBS
    1. I have not suppressed my SR-22.
    2. I would not use 22LR for HD.
    3. No common problems that I am aware of. Mine has been flawless.
    4. Presently, I would say that if you can get plinking rounds for less than $0.10/round, you should load up. Pre-mania, $0.05/round would have been decent.

My SR-22 has had a steady diet of nothing but the cheapest ammo I can find for it, and it eats it all up and spits it out the business end without complaining. It is not a target pistol like some other .22s, but it is plenty accurate for plinking and is just flat out a ton of fun. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have a mk111 an love it, tried those subsonics at the range an man those are some quiet rdsimage.jpg

Distinguished Member
    My cousin bought one. I shot it. It jammed a lot for me. It jammed a lot for him. We did not try CCI ammo though. Perhaps it would work better. I would never trust my life to a .22lr if I could shoot anything else. I shot many thousands of rounds without hearing protection, some inside buildings. Spent two years in the artillery with only my fingers for hearing protection. I am semi retired and my hearing is fine. I think I can handle a few shots inside of my home without going deaf. if you want hearing problems, sit first row center at a rock concert. :)

I bought the M&P 22 which was supposed to be better than the SR22 and it too jammed, even with CCI. Over 40 years every .22 I owned, either handgun or semi auto, jammed on me. It may not jam if you do not shoot it a lot but if you compete with a .22, it will jam. I only trust .22 revolvers and even then, my former LCR .22lr was causing CCI Minimags to expand so much after they were shot that they were preventing the cylinder from turning. That was the last straw and I got rid of all my .22s. I learned to shoot with a .357 and .45 and still can handle those calibers in my sixties so why mess with a .22. Not even the old ladies in my retirement home want .22's anymore. They are all buying .380's. A nice Bersa, Walther PPK, Sig P238 or even the LC380 have very mild recoil. Odds are that the great majority of us will never fire a gun in defense so I would not worry too much about it. Do what I do. Keep a pair of electronic hearing muffs near your gun. They not only amplify sound so you can hear that bad guy in the house but will block out sound about 25DB to protect your ears. Much cheaper than a suppressor and easier to get.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

A couple things I need to add...

1) This isn't my only gun by any means, my EDC is a G26 and I also have an HK P2000SK in .357 Sig, Bushmaster AR-15 and a .45 Taurus.

2) I'm planning on getting the factory threaded barrel model, provided I can find it. This will help avoid another $150 or so of cost down the line when I get a suppressor. I have never seen this model in person but I know it is out there, I will make a decent attempt to find one and if I really can't then I will just get the standard model and get a threaded barrel later.

3) I don't have a real "need" per se for a suppressor, I just want one, darn it!

I have a SR22. It's simply awesome. No failures of any kind after close to 1000 rounds of random .22 My girlfriend has claimed it and carries it. Her and I both know .22 is the weakest of calipers. But she shoots it eerily well. Is comfortable with it and can easily manipulate it. At night it goes on her nightstand, and she feels confident as do I.

Wouldn't recommend for home defense, but fun little shooter that feels good in the hand. NOT 100% reliable. I did have a few FTE and FTFs out of a thousand rounds. Seems better after breaking it in some more.

I trust 22's for the 4 legged varmits, not so much for the 2 legged kind.

I'd say anything over a nickle a round is a little high unless it's target ammo. Realistically right now about $.07 is the norm. Higher and that and I reallllly gotta need the ammo bad!

I've been thinking about the same pistol. Right now I have an old Ruger Mk I. It shoots well but the sights suck. I'm wanting to pick up a .22 LR pistol that looks and feels more like a "real gun" and not a .22, if that makes sense.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have an M&P22 and as long as I shoot decent ammo, it functions for the most part. What I have noticed is anything that I have bought in a bulk pack has given me a fair share of malfunctions while the better stuff seems to be very consistent.

CCI mini mags, Aguila, Remington yellow jackets as well as Golden bullets...all seem to be easily digested. What I really like shooting is CCI standard velocity. The standard velocity ammo is so soft shooting that it just seems like it wouldn't cycle...but it does.

I usually enjoy shooting a half dozen or so mags thru my .22 when at the range, and I have plenty of ammo that I bought well before the ammo fiasco began...but I have recently started to cut back. No reason to blow thru my ammo when it's so hard to find right now.

I looked at the SR22 when I was shopping around and its a neat little gun. I went with the M&P mainly due to its size; I actually wanted a larger gun in that caliber since its basically just a range gun that I could also take out and plink with as well. I had a Walther P22 at one time and although I never had any problems with it, it was just a little to small for my liking.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I bought one, but haven't shot it yet. My girlfriend doesn't care for guns. She is taking me to the range for my birthday. I wanted to have something she could fire. I even got the purple model (jury still out on that). Guess I thought she might not find it that intimidating. I mean, Barney was a freaking dinosaur and no one was afraid of him!
    uploadfromtaptalk1370907414449.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zen1300 View Post
    I bought one, but haven't shot it yet. My girlfriend doesn't care for guns. She is taking me to the range for my birthday. I wanted to have something she could fire. I even got the purple model (jury still out on that). Guess I thought she might not find it that intimidating. I mean, Barney was a freaking dinosaur and no one was afraid of him!
    I think I'll stick with the black frame!

And if I ever meet the person who wrote that Barney song, they will end up with multiple gunshot wounds in the groin area...

Worried about over penetration of walls? Well, you can get yourself a Joe Biden-approved double, and load it with either cut shells or wax slugs. Poor man's ginourmous Glaser safety slug.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by zen1300 View Post
    Good call on your part!

Get some good ammo so she doesn't have to deal with endless malfunctions and she will probably have a great time. You might also consider the Barney gun (LOL, just kidding) as a gift to her. That way she'll have her own pistol and that may be enough for her to develop somewhat of an interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links