Got my Double Tap 45ACP Derringer in today

This is a discussion on Got my Double Tap 45ACP Derringer in today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PICKED UP MY DOUBLE TAPE THIS AFTERNOON FROM GANDER MT.. 45ACP NON PORTED Aluminum DA 52X. BIG BOX FOR A LITTLE GUN!! Quality and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Got my Double Tap 45ACP Derringer in today

Got my Double Tap 45ACP Derringer in today

PICKED UP MY DOUBLE TAPE THIS AFTERNOON FROM GANDER MT.. 45ACP NON PORTED Aluminum DA 52X. BIG BOX FOR A LITTLE GUN!! Quality and the black finish is excellant. Trigger pull long however good for a DA derringer. I used snap caps.
    Big red tag on it saying do not use +P ammo.
    Well worth the $535. with TAX

My 45ACP derringers

2. Remove Ads

I guess you like derringers. Personally I do not see the attraction other than for collection. For the same money and weight you can get a gun with a higher capacity than two. My first civilian encounter was with three guys in a parking lot. After that I could never imagine carrying a derringer, even as a backup. Nice gun though and I have tried the Bond and Cobra derringers for fun and then sold them. Enjoy.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Nice pistol those are interesting little guns. Hows the recoil on it?

Congrats! Looks pretty sweet. Is that the one that comes with a two-round speed strip in the grip? How's that work?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I guess you like derringers. Personally I do not see the attraction other than for collection. For the same money and weight you can get a gun with a higher capacity than two. My first civilian encounter was with three guys in a parking lot. After that I could never imagine carrying a derringer, even as a backup. Nice gun though and I have tried the Bond and Cobra derringers for fun and then sold them. Enjoy.
    A fair point, but there's a good argument to be made for two rounds of .45 vs. six rounds of .380 (or smaller) and a more-inherently-reliable design. No stovepipes or limp-wristing with a derringer.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

For some reason I thought they were a bit more expensive. I've kind of wanted one ever since I seen the thread about them. There's a few more "bigger" guns I'll need to get out of the way first though.

I see you mentioned snap caps, when you get to take it to the range would you mind updating with a report?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Nice, cool comparison pic too.

Love the Semerling too. That Bond looks HUGE compared to the Double tap.

Nice!! I have always fancied a derringer. Maybe someday I might buy one But Now Im concentrating on reloading equipment and optics for my ar. Enjoy those neat little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    A fair point, but there's a good argument to be made for two rounds of .45 vs. six rounds of .380 (or smaller) and a more-inherently-reliable design. No stovepipes or limp-wristing with a derringer.
    I would take 6 rounds of .380 over only 2 rounds of .45 any day.
    10thmtn and JTNiggle like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

...that Double Tap looks a lot smoother than this one it reminded me of:

Google Image Result for http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/liberator-pistol.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...that Double Tap looks a lot smoother than this one it reminded me of:

Google Image Result for http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/liberator-pistol.jpg

A new Liberator Copy costs over $150 more than the Double tap. I really need one of these too...
    FP-45 Liberator Pistol & Packaging Replica Set : Single Shot Pistols at GunBroker.com

pix722385591.jpg
    Last edited by rogertc1; June 11th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

...didn't know they'd made replicas...

...so is your DoubleTap a striker-fired where you have to work the slide to re-cock the trigger? or is it closed w/rotating firing pin like the old C.O.P. pistol?

The DoubleTap tactical pocket pistol has undergone several improvements while being re-engineered and produced at the new manufacturing facility. The DoubleTap pistol is still the smallest, safest and lightest tactical conceal carry at only 12 ounces and just 5/8” wide. The interchangeable barrels (9mm and .45ACP) use a M16 style push pin. The pistol grip now features a new “FRAG” pattern design inspired by the fragmentation grenade pattern. The new textured grip allows for a more confident grip. Another new feature is the ambidextrous barrel pin, now engineered to allow for a left or right-hand take-down of the barrel. The trigger system has been simplified to only four major components and now features dual hammers for extra safety and reliability. The double-action, sequentially fired mechanical trigger system has double-strike capability with a 12 to 14 lb. trigger pull. Ported barrels are available for both the 9mm and .45 ACP to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

The aluminum frames are machined from 7075 aluminum and the titanium frames from 6AL 4V titanium. The barrels are now manufactured from 17-4 PH stainless steel which is of higher quality and durability. The aluminum models will receive a Type 3 Hard Anodized finish. The titanium models will receive a Cerakote coating just like the current Marine Corp 1911s. All stainless parts will receive a Melonite finished to Rockwell 65 hardness.

Even with the improvements the DoubleTap pistol pricing remains the same. The DoubleTap Aluminum non-ported model retails for $499.00. The Aluminum ported model retails for $569.00. The DoubleTap Titanium non-ported model retails for $729.00 and the ported model for $799.00. Caliber conversion kits in the non-ported version have been lowered to $199.00 and the ported kits lowered to $269.00. DoubleTap Defense also sells a variety of accessories to complement the DoubleTap™ Tactical Pocket pistol.

...thanks for ALL of that...sounds like they're serious about making a go of it...wish they'd make one in all-stainless...that's too light for my taste...

Huh. Is it recycleable? Just kidding, nice gun. I can think of a few instances where this might be nice to have. Let us know how she shoots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links