Taurus TCP 380 acp ...followed me home

This is a discussion on Taurus TCP 380 acp ...followed me home within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to look at a Bersa 9mm CC , and a Taurus PT709...and left with a Taurus TCP 380acp... Well I have had stranger things ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Taurus TCP 380 acp ...followed me home

Went to look at a Bersa 9mm CC , and a Taurus PT709...and left with a Taurus TCP 380acp...

Well I have had stranger things happen...but I was looking for a secondary carry pistol...not a main carry (as I call'em)
    I like my Glock 36 or G 23 ,or one of my Revolvers 357 or 38 spl. or 44 mag , 44 spl. ..or P90 or P97 or P95 ...
    so the Bersa was just to big for that..but it was nice great feel.. balance and sweet trigger...

the Taurus 709 was a bit smaller but really was no more concealable than my S&W 642...
    then the salesman showed me the TCP last in stock...,,told me he preferred it over the Ruger 380acp.
    So I now have me a nice little back up....he tried to sell me some Hornady defense ammo the rubber tipped stuff..said it works well....I'll have to do a little research...untill then I'll break it in and tote some 95gr. FN-FMJ ,close to a wad cutter..punch a nice hole..actually 7 holes...

Nice little Texas reload piece
    Last edited by Buckeye63; June 10th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Went to look at a Bersa 9mm CC , and a Taurus PT709...and left with a Taurus TCP 380acp...

Well I have had stranger things happen...but I was looking for a secondary carry pistol...not a main carry (as I call'em)
    I like my Glock 36 or G 23 ,or one of my Revolvers 357 or 38 spl. or 44 mag , 44 spl. ..or P90 or P97 or P95 ...
    so the Bersa was just to big for that..but it was nice great feel.. balance and sweet trigger...

the Taurus 709 was a bit smaller but really was no more concealable than my S&W 642...
    then the salesman showed me the TCP last in stock...,,told me he preferred it over the Ruger 380acp.
    So I now have me a nice little back up....he tried to sell me some Hornady defense ammo the rubber tipped stuff..said it works well....I'll have to do a little research...untill then I'll break it in and tote some 90gr. FN-FMJ ,close to a wad cutter..punch a nice hole..actually 7 holes...

Nice little Texas reload piece
    I'm looking at getting one myself, the $199 model. Very light, makes a nice underwear gun.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Looks good

Which Hornady rounds? Critical Duty is very good. Critical Defense is slightly less so. Zombie Max is basically the same as Critical Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid150 View Post
    Which Hornady rounds? Critical Duty is very good. Critical Defense is slightly less so. Zombie Max is basically the same as Critical Defense.
    I'm not sure...which he was talking about..it was close to closing time....

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I'm not sure...which he was talking about..it was close to closing time....
    Shenanigans! There is always time for ammo!

Stay away from Hornady ammo in general, the Critical Defense & Duty rounds are hype and are not used by any LE agency. Zombie Max is the Critical Defense bullet with a green instead of pink insert and doesn't have a nickel plated casing. In a questionable shoot, "Zombie" anything could be a feast for an opportunistic DA or plaintiff attorney. In my experience, Hornady products are the most unreliable of any "respected" ammo company out there, I have had numerous issues of various types. There is a reason why even during the panic there was Hornady ammo on the shelves.
    DetChris and Civil_Response like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Stay away from Hornady ammo in general, the Critical Defense & Duty rounds are hype and are not used by any LE agency. Zombie Max is the Critical Defense bullet with a green instead of pink insert and doesn't have a nickel plated casing. In a questionable shoot, "Zombie" anything could be a feast for an opportunistic DA or plaintiff attorney. In my experience, Hornady products are the most unreliable of any "respected" ammo company out there, I have had numerous issues of various types. There is a reason why even during the panic there was Hornady ammo on the shelves.
    Yeah, I'm not a Hornady fan, but Critical Duty is at least useable. Hornady doesn't expand very much, and penetration is poor except for the Duty. There are much better rounds out there to be had, I do agree with that.

My .380 has Winchester Ranger-T's in it, personally.

The TCP is a great little gun and easily concealable. I like to carry it everywhere I go since it is lighter than my .40cal S&W Shield. But I do like my Shield for firepower and carry it sometimes, I just wish it was a light as the TCP.

Here is a pic of mine:
    P4220002.jpgP4220003.jpg
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

I like it.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I'm going check out different 380 ammo ..maybe spend a afternoon watching you tube...until then..., I guess I'll use my break in ammo ,Winchester white box 95gr. FN-FMJ

I have both the Taurus TCP and the Ruger ACP. The Taurus has jammed on me a number of times, the Ruger, which I have shot more often, has never had a FTF or a FTE.

Nice looking bug. Great size too. As a bug or deep concealment option the little 380s truly disappear.

Please update the thread or post a review when you get a chance to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    For the folks with a TCP that jambs!!! Its probably not a C series. Look at your serial number. If it does jamb regardless SPEND IT IN FOR SOME TLC. Any handgun cannhave some issues , even the high dollar semi-customs. Look at the junk comeing out of s&w lately from there production hands to there custom shop stuff.

For a micro pistol ammo can cause issues to so try something new.

We have 2 tcp 380 . Both C series . One is a basic FS and one is a SS slide model. Best triggers of any micro pistol. Both have run great from round one with 6 different brands of HP and 3 brands fmj ammo for 400 rounds each during breakin. Both carry corbon for CC. Both also ended up being claimed by family other than me as carry options for my youngest daughter or wife. Maybe if I buy another it my become mine but I have one more daughter. My first choice for CCis a cm9 kahr but have a cw9 and tp40 for larger carry options.
    Civil_Response likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links