Had my first glock failure today

This is a discussion on Had my first glock failure today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my first failure with my glock 19, but I'm thinking it was my fault. I was practicing drawing and then firing a round ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Had my first glock failure today

Had my first glock failure today

I had my first failure with my glock 19, but I'm thinking it was my fault. I was practicing drawing and then firing a round as quick as possible, and several times had the gun jam, but when I was pointing and shooting I never had a failure with the same ammo. I was using federal fmj 115 grain. I'm thinking I didn't have a strong grip, but would that cause a gun to jam? Any other ideas what could be the cause?

2. Remove Ads

I'm thinking I didn't have a strong grip, but would that cause a gun to jam?
    I'm thinking you are correct. It sounds as if limp wristing probably caused your Glock to jam. That could do it.

You might have to define "jam" a little clearer. If it's a failure to eject or the round stovepipes after a shot, the odds are you're limp wristing it. Basically your stance and/or grip isn't positive enough allowing the frame to move backward with the slide. Even a little bit can cause the precise timing of the slide and case ejection to become out of whack. The slide loses momentum and returns too soon trapping the ejected case causing your jam. Work on your grip and stance and it will go away.

This doesn't only happen to Glocks. It happens to any semi automatic handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    This doesn't only happen to Glocks. It happens to any semi automatic handgun.

Yes I realize that.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Not saying this is what you are doing but MAC did a great video on limp-wristing and grip on the gun.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaMike View Post
    I had my first failure with my glock 19, but I'm thinking it was my fault. I was practicing drawing and then firing a round as quick as possible, and several times had the gun jam...
    Not good since this is most likely how it will go down if you ever need to defend yourself. Identify the issue soon and correct it, whether it's you or the gun.
    smolck likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Not good since this is most likely how it will go down if you ever need to defend yourself. Identify the issue soon and correct it, whether it's you or the gun.
    Agreed... Find out what caused the issue and correct it. Maybe try and do what you did exactly and have somebody video it so you can watch it in say slow motion via the tape. Just an idea
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    Yep sounds like limp wristing to me.

Exactly, this is why you have to have the fundamentals down before you work on draw, speed, ect. And no, I'm not an expert - still drilling the fundamentals into muscle memory almost every day myself and slowing working on other things.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Your malfunctions show why it's so important to spend time/effort/resources on realistic self-defense scenarios and training.
    If you hadn't been doing these 'draw and shoot' drills you would've had no idea there was a problem.
    If you can't solve what a appears to be a limp-wristing issue, you'll need to buy a different self-defense pistol or revolver.
    The MAC video shows that there are other platforms less prone to limp-wristing failures.
    Thanks for posting this thread.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

OP: can you confirm if your "jam" is:
    a) light primer strike/failure to fire
    b) failure to feed
    c) failure to eject
    d) gun exploded
    ?

We're all guessing it's failure to eject but you'll need to specify.

I disagree on the "if you ever need to defend yourself" portion of your comment. If you practice with a good grip (single-handed and two-handed) you shouldn't have any problems, even when shooting with your weak hand. Yes, the OP needs to identify the root cause (it could be a bad magazine, but is likely limp wrist) and correct it. But, once that is done that practice, practice, practice.

In one multi-day training I saw two people (an older man in 60's and a woman in her 30's) consistently having problems at the beginning of the class. One was using a Springfield XD and the other a Glock. Within an hour or so both were shooting fine. So, it is fixable.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I disagree on the "if you ever need to defend yourself" portion of your comment. If you practice with a good grip (single-handed and two-handed) you shouldn't have any problems, even when shooting with your weak hand. Yes, the OP needs to identify the root cause (it could be a bad magazine, but is likely limp wrist) and correct it. But, once that is done that practice, practice, practice.

In one multi-day training I saw two people (an older man in 60's and a woman in her 30's) consistently having problems at the beginning of the class. One was using a Springfield XD and the other a Glock. Within an hour or so both were shooting fine. So, it is fixable.
    So you disagree that it most likely won't be a situation where you have to draw and fire quickly if you have to defend yourself?

I'm sure It was a limp wrist causing the failure. Now if I can find ammo so I can practice again,
    darbo likes this.

Limp wristing certainly is a viable cause. I would offer one other thought for you to consider. While making a quick grip perhaps you are allowing a thumb to make light contact with the slide thus restricting its movement. I have seen it happen.

Can I ask a favor? Pull the barrel out and do a very thorough inspection of the chamber. Looking for a build up of carbon. in one small area and then look at the fired rounds and see if there is one streak of black soot down the cartridge.

The reason I ask I clean my guns pretty well but missed this small piece of carbon and it was harder than my wifes heart. I had to scrape the carbon off and have not had an issue since and all the spent rounds don't have the long streak of carbon on them.

Then fit the fired shell in the chamber and rotate it insuring it is free the entire 360 degree rotation.

Thanks

Bill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links