1911 in 10mm? - Page 3

1911 in 10mm?

This is a discussion on 1911 in 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a 10mm handgun for over twenty years. I have owned several Glocks, an original Colt Delta Elite, a Star MegaStar, and an ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 1911 in 10mm?

I have carried a 10mm handgun for over twenty years. I have owned several Glocks, an original Colt Delta Elite, a Star MegaStar, and an EAA Witness in the past. The Star MegaStar was the best for shooting, but was extremely heavy. I currently own a Glock G20 SF, a Kimber Stainless Target II, and a recently purchased Rock Island Armory TAC II. The fit and finish of the RIA impressed me for $599.99 and it has been reliable and accurate so far.

I carry Winchester 175 grain Silvertips in my Kimber and I have put a couple hundred rounds of them through my new RIA with no issues. I carry the Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood hotter loads in my Glock G20 SF. I also bought a six inch factory barrel for added velocity for woods carry in the Glock. The Glock has less felt recoil and carries fifteen plus one rounds. The recoil of full power loads in my 1911s is a little snappier than my 1911s with .45ACP +P rounds. The 10mm is very controllable for me.

The 10mm ballistics overlap .357 magnum ballistics from a four to six inch barrel revolver. People try to equate 10mm to .41 magnum ballistics. You can load either a 10mm or a .357 magnum round up to the lower .41 magnum level ballistics. When I want more power than the 10mm or the .357 magnum, I just go to a .44 magnum revolver or my Desert Eagle 50AE and don’t try to push the 10mm or .357 magnum power levels. Some of the hottest 10mm rounds recommend they not be used in a Colt Delta Elite.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Then that's what you should buy.
    I haven't purchased any 10mm ammo in a long time, rather I make my own. It's even cheaper, and better.
    What brand of loader do you use? I have a RCBS I bought used a few years ago and have never set it up but with the price of ammo now I think it is time to set it up and buy a 10mm/40 die set along with 9mm for it.

If memory serves me correct, the Winchester ST is a 175 grain bullet traveling along at 1200-1250 fps.
    The hotter loadings by the smaller groups do more than that with a heavier bullet...

However; I load my 180 grain XTP to about the Winchester ST velocities, and even down to the 1200fps level.

I have found that to be enough for anything it should be used for with power to spare,

and, it's easy to shoot and beats the hell out of a hot 40 with a lot of margin for safety.
    LimaCharlie and Cuda66 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    What brand of loader do you use? I have a RCBS I bought used a few years ago and have never set it up but with the price of ammo now I think it is time to set it up and buy a 10mm/40 die set along with 9mm for it.
    A 30 year old Lee single stage press.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If memory serves me correct, the Winchester ST is a 175 grain bullet traveling along at 1200-1250 fps.
    The hotter loadings by the smaller groups do more than that with a heavier bullet...

However; I load my 180 grain XTP to about the Winchester ST velocities, and even down to the 1200fps level.

I have found that to be enough for anything it should be used for with power to spare,

and, it's easy to shoot and beats the hell out of a hot 40 with a lot of margin for safety.

The Winchester 175 grain Silvertip is rated by Winchester at 1290 fps from a 5.5" test barrel. Ballistics by the Inch tested it a 1209 fps from a 5" Colt Delta Elite. They tested the Buffalo Bore 180 grain JHP at 1374 fps from the Delta Elite.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

When I had my 10mm's, I always found that the factory Hornady XTP 200gr at around 1100fps was one of the best combos as faras accuracy & control in rapid fire...and I have NO doubts of it's efficacy on the receiving end.

Dang it...now I want a 10mm again...
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    When I had my 10mm's, I always found that the factory Hornady XTP 200gr at around 1100fps was one of the best combos as faras accuracy & control in rapid fire...and I have NO doubts of it's efficacy on the receiving end.

I know, sucks don't it?! Now I am zeroed in on that DE. but had been saving for a BHP in 40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have carried a 10mm handgun for over twenty years. I have owned several Glocks, an original Colt Delta Elite, a Star MegaStar, and an EAA Witness in the past. The Star MegaStar was the best for shooting, but was extremely heavy. I currently own a Glock G20 SF, a Kimber Stainless Target II, and a recently purchased Rock Island Armory TAC II. The fit and finish of the RIA impressed me for $599.99 and it has been reliable and accurate so far.

I carry Winchester 175 grain Silvertips in my Kimber and I have put a couple hundred rounds of them through my new RIA with no issues. I carry the Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood hotter loads in my Glock G20 SF. I also bought a six inch factory barrel for added velocity for woods carry in the Glock. The Glock has less felt recoil and carries fifteen plus one rounds. The recoil of full power loads in my 1911s is a little snappier than my 1911s with .45ACP +P rounds. The 10mm is very controllable for me.

The 10mm ballistics overlap .357 magnum ballistics from a four to six inch barrel revolver. People try to equate 10mm to .41 magnum ballistics. You can load either a 10mm or a .357 magnum round up to the lower .41 magnum level ballistics. When I want more power than the 10mm or the .357 magnum, I just go to a .44 magnum revolver or my Desert Eagle 50AE and don’t try to push the 10mm or .357 magnum power levels. Some of the hottest 10mm rounds recommend they not be used in a Colt Delta Elite.
    Thanks for the info :) The RIA Tac II is what they had on the shelf and at $599.99 I figured it was cheap enough to give a try, but I just didn't want to step into the caliber if the platform had issues with it :) I found mixed feelings via web searching, but as is often the case a lot of them had never owned, carried, or even fired one so hard to make a judgment call on just that.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

Well get one then......

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Well get one then......
    Actually, I just need to get a 10mm barrel for my P16.40...

However, all of my funds are headed for a Nightforce for my last purchase...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    Hey all -

Was in a LGS and saw they had an RIA 1911 Tactical in 10mm. I was curious if anyone has a 1911 chambered in 10mm, and the pros/cons of them?

The 10mm is a hell of a round, and it carries 8 like the .45. I understand the basic comparison in ballistics, but I was wondering more from a chassis and firing standpoint.

Does the 1911 handle the 10mm alright? Does it cause any issues, like accelerated wear, with the spring or maybe the frame or breech? Does it recoil excessively harder than the .45 in a metal frame? Or does it not really matter? I was thinking of getting another 1911 and a 10mm seems like a fun addition with carry potential.
    Sonny Crocket in Miami Vice carried a Bren Ten, which was a 10mm 1911. (On the set, it was re-chambered back to .45ACP however.)

If you want an amazing 1911, also look for one chambered in .460 Rowland.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I've never liked the look of the .460 rowland converted 1911s. I think it's awesome, but if I was going to do a .460 semi-auto I'd just grab an XD and go to my local Wild West Arms and get their 460 drop in conversion :)

OD*
    Sonny Crocket in Miami Vice carried a Bren Ten, which was a 10mm 1911. (On the set, it was re-chambered back to .45ACP however.)

A Bren Ten is not a 1911, and the Miami Vice pistols were built as .45s and not converted.

The two guns were ordered specifically for the show by Michael Mann's production company. They did not come off the assembly line, but were built by Tom Dornaus personally. Tom did the initial blank conversion, if you want to call it that, but actually these two guns were built from the ground up specifically for firing blanks. He used major components which were not deemed suitable for production guns, but were perfectly adequate for a blank gun. The two guns were Standard Models with the old style rear sight assembly and no trigger stop screw. All external markings were standard Bren Ten. The only difference being that the guns had recoil springs and barrels designed to fire .45 ACP blanks. The barrel does not carry any caliber designation roll mark however. Because the ejection port on a Bren Ten is so large I don't believe that it had to be enlarged to accommodate the elongated .45 ACP blank cases. (Remember that the blank cases are in the shape of a loaded round WITH bullet seated.) Michael Mann requested specifically that the slides be a light color (hard chrome) for enhanced visibility. The hard chrome work was done by a small firm in the Huntington Beach area at that time. Both guns carry a special serial number. One of the guns is in the possession of a major collector in Pennsylvania and the other is owned by one of the show's producers, I believe. They weren't Marksmans or Standard Models with conversion kits. They were two specially built guns.
    The Miami Vice Connection
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The BT was a CZ.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Love my 10mm's got a few glocks and my FAVORITE is my Kimber Eclipse 10mm. I have the Double tap 180 JHP's that are listed at 1250fps if memory serves and they chorno at my house with my 5" kimber 1283fps on average. I have never had any issues with double tap I love there ammo, I use the 230 grain hardcast as a woods load because they don't make anything in PA that it can't stop.
    On the other hand someone mentioned the 460 rowland. I have a sour taste over that caliber, I had two kits and tried 4 different guns and never got one to work right. I had constant primer pierces that locked up my gun by putting brass in the firing pin. There were fixes that probably would have worked but I am not one for a gun that causes me grief so I am done with that caliber. (I have some ammo if anyone wants it FREE*)
    glockman10mm likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links