Defensive Carry banner

Can't shoot two handed

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Bandit22 
#1 ·
I have had to stop shooting rifles, and I am worried I will have to shoot one handed.

I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and had the odd metal object cause nerve damage in my left wrist. Holding anything up with my arm for too long causes alot of pain, bending my wrist does as well. I have been told to get over it, and had random guns pushed into my hands. Generally one that I can't get a decent grip on.

Does anyone know of a solution? One hand shooting is the only thing that comes to mind, but I'm worried I couldn't get my license doing that.

Sorry if this has been gone over. I did a search but didn't see anything.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I am not a doctor so any advice I have isn't probably worth much. How long ago was your injury? Have you tried physical therapy? If it's been a while and you've exhausted all plausible options I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying that people can and do shoot accurately with one hand. It's hard to be of much use over the computer. Maybe there is an experienced, attentive firearms instructor in your area that would be able to help you overcome your limitation. Do what you can do and go slowly. You might surprise yourself in time. Good luck finding a work around.

#4 ·
Can you shoot accurate enough one handed to pass the shooting qualification for your states permit (assuming that AR has one)?

Contact an instructor and ask them if they require anything more than a specific score on the shooting qualification.

#5 ·
I shoot one handed. Back when I started shooting a handgun, lets say 60 years ago, that's how we shot. I learned the NRA slow fire pistol stance and can shoot very well that way. When the two hand method came into vogue I learned to shoot that way. About five years ago, I started a long series of back surgeries that now prevent me from touching my two hands in front of me. Sure glad I can still shoot one handed.

#6 ·
Here in PA there is no physical test to qualify for a CL, but I share your problem. I have three stubs and a thumb on my left hand and bad arthritis in a previously broken wrist on my right. It would be worthless to try to use two hands so I shoot with one. I have tried the two handed method only to have one hand fight the other for steadiness. Like the poster above, I've always shot a handgun with one hand so it's no big deal. If you need to qualify using two hands perhaps you can use the weak hand in a "fake" support position while doing all the shooting with one hand.

I personally do not understand the need for two handed shooting anymore than the old two handed foul shots in basketball. I guess that statement dates me pretty well.

#8 ·
I think your first step is to find a gun that you can get a solid grip on if you dont have one already. As far as shooting one handed, if you practice it their is no reason you cant be highly proficient with it. I dont know about the use of one handed shooting for a ccw course, that is a question for the folks giving the course i suppose.

#10 ·
One-handed is probably your best answer. In Cowboy Action Shooting, we have a whole classification for one-handed shooting, we call that "Duelist."

Is there some requirement in Arkansas that you qualify with a two-handed hold?

#11 ·
If I'm reading your post correctly, you shoot left handed. Thus the weight of the gun is in your left hand. You might try shooting right handed, just using your left for support, not holding the weight of the gun and absorbing the recoil. No guarantee it will work, but it's an idea to try.

#14 ·
3 1/2 years ago I tore up my right shoulder. 2 surgeries and 3 years of physical therapy I still have limited use of my right arm (I'm right handed).

During that time, I gave up rifle and shotgun and forced myself to shoot handgun left handed. I even qualified with my sheriff's reserve left handed.
My point is that it is not "fun", but necessary if I am going to continue to carry a handgun for self defense. There are compromises that will have to be made between your personal "ideal" and the reality of your physical limitations.

Some of my personal experience:
I have walked with a cane for almost 18 years. Normally it was in my right hand. Now I am unable to support myself with that shoulder, so had to learn to use it left handed. At first I was clumsy, but it became easier with time and practice.

This past winter, I picked up a rifle once again, .22lr and 45lc, and have done fairly well. Not sure if I will ever go back to shoulder firing a shotgun.

Just my two bits worth.

I pray you find a solution that will work for you.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I will try to work on one handed shooting. I only have a subcompact right now that I can't get a decent grip on.

I had a few options in mind, a nice revolver was definitely one of them.

I honestly don't know how to get info on physical therapy. It was long ago, and my PT then only took away the constant shoulder pain.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the help. I will try to work on one handed shooting. I only have a subcompact right now that I can't get a decent grip on.

I had a few options in mind, a nice revolver was definitely one of them.

I honestly don't know how to get info on physical therapy. It was long ago, and my PT then only took away the constant shoulder pain.
I'm basically in an HMO, so get a referral from my primary care doc. Costs me a $12 co-pay. Obviously it depends on your insurance, or what you are willing to cover on your own, but I swear by it. PT's today basically have a PhD in the field and are often smarter than the MDs on the topic. Not sure where you live, but where I am there are all sorts of physical therapy clinics to choose from. They compete with one another and run ads on the radio promoting rehab as well as recovery from sports injuries.

Google is your friend. I'm betting there is lots of places to choose from. What I like most about PT is that they basically coach you to get where you want to be. Whenever I go (3 shoulder surgeries and 2 sports injuries have given me lots of opportunity) they ask you what your goals are and then design exercises and stretching to focus on what you want to do. I even had my last PT go to the gym and design a specific weightlifting workout for me designed to strengthen my shoulder.

#17 ·
I too have hand and wrist problems. I can not grip a sub compact gun well enough to shoot it well. I now shoot a mid sized gun in 32 ACP and 380. The main thing is I need to get all fingers on the grip. After a shoulder surgery I was not able to shoot two handed either. I would put my left hand on my right elbow and steady the gun butt on my left fore arm. It worked out well for me until I healed from that surgery. I have recovered well enough that I can shoot a shotgun well, most rifles well and full size and medium sized handguns well. I have had to give up shooting my old Buffalo guns. They just kick too hard. I also gave up duck hunting, the cold and a swift kick from a magnum round were just too painful. I've moved on to small bore competitions to fill my shooting needs. Good luck on finding what works for you. DR

#20 ·
Like some others here, I learned to shoot one handed. I take it you are left handed? The dueling stance is perfect for one handed shooting. But if you are a lefty, re-learn to shoot right handed. You can do tons of dry fire work at home. Invest in a 22 to practice with at the range until you lock in your new skill, if you can find any ammo!

Keep both eyes open.

#21 ·
I do not see the big deal. Shooting two handed is better for most but not all. As a poster said it is not a handsgun. Did John Wayne or Dirty Harry use 2 hands? Seriously it's not that hard to do unless you are shooting a seriously large gun.

I have always enjoyed shooting one handed and for the most part can even shoot better that way. At the range i shoot equal 1 or 2 handed for practice. Although while i should practice weak hand I hate to mainly because i really suck weak hand.

Shooting in competition I often shoot one handed in easier stages because i hate for people to think I am showing off.

People shot one handed for years before the 2 hand stance. You just have to realize it is not a rule in stone.

#22 ·
I have metal rods in each should, a metal plate in one wrist, and wires in my right elbow. I understand. My left wrist is often numb or "tingly". I had to switch to a cup and saucer grip. Pretty much my left hand is not doing much, but offers a little more support. Something to think about. Hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.