Can't shoot two handed

This is a discussion on Can't shoot two handed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had to stop shooting rifles, and I am worried I will have to shoot one handed. I tore my rotator cuff in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can't shoot two handed

Can't shoot two handed

I have had to stop shooting rifles, and I am worried I will have to shoot one handed.

I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and had the odd metal object cause nerve damage in my left wrist. Holding anything up with my arm for too long causes alot of pain, bending my wrist does as well. I have been told to get over it, and had random guns pushed into my hands. Generally one that I can't get a decent grip on.

Does anyone know of a solution? One hand shooting is the only thing that comes to mind, but I'm worried I couldn't get my license doing that.

Sorry if this has been gone over. I did a search but didn't see anything.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I am not a doctor so any advice I have isn't probably worth much. How long ago was your injury? Have you tried physical therapy? If it's been a while and you've exhausted all plausible options I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying that people can and do shoot accurately with one hand. It's hard to be of much use over the computer. Maybe there is an experienced, attentive firearms instructor in your area that would be able to help you overcome your limitation. Do what you can do and go slowly. You might surprise yourself in time. Good luck finding a work around.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

6 years on the shoulder
    2 on the wrist.

I did physical therapy on the shoulder, and on my wrist I was never offered anything. It's generally numb except when I do something with it.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Can you shoot accurate enough one handed to pass the shooting qualification for your states permit (assuming that AR has one)?

Contact an instructor and ask them if they require anything more than a specific score on the shooting qualification.

I shoot one handed. Back when I started shooting a handgun, lets say 60 years ago, that's how we shot. I learned the NRA slow fire pistol stance and can shoot very well that way. When the two hand method came into vogue I learned to shoot that way. About five years ago, I started a long series of back surgeries that now prevent me from touching my two hands in front of me. Sure glad I can still shoot one handed.
    Snub44 likes this.

Here in PA there is no physical test to qualify for a CL, but I share your problem. I have three stubs and a thumb on my left hand and bad arthritis in a previously broken wrist on my right. It would be worthless to try to use two hands so I shoot with one. I have tried the two handed method only to have one hand fight the other for steadiness. Like the poster above, I've always shot a handgun with one hand so it's no big deal. If you need to qualify using two hands perhaps you can use the weak hand in a "fake" support position while doing all the shooting with one hand.

I personally do not understand the need for two handed shooting anymore than the old two handed foul shots in basketball. I guess that statement dates me pretty well.

That's why they call it a " handgun" and not a " handsgun":)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think your first step is to find a gun that you can get a solid grip on if you dont have one already. As far as shooting one handed, if you practice it their is no reason you cant be highly proficient with it. I dont know about the use of one handed shooting for a ccw course, that is a question for the folks giving the course i suppose.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I would shoot one handed and qualify with a .22lr. Then in your spare time keep practicing with the largest caliber you can control one handed.
    glockman10mm and Caertaker like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

One-handed is probably your best answer. In Cowboy Action Shooting, we have a whole classification for one-handed shooting, we call that "Duelist."

Is there some requirement in Arkansas that you qualify with a two-handed hold?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you shoot left handed. Thus the weight of the gun is in your left hand. You might try shooting right handed, just using your left for support, not holding the weight of the gun and absorbing the recoil. No guarantee it will work, but it's an idea to try.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Practice and willpower. Not trying to minimize your challenges, but you'd be amazed at what you can do.

One-armed vet trap shooting

Edit: And if you can find a LGS that will help you out, take a look at a revolver like a Model 66 or 686 with the stock grips swapped out for a set of Pachmyr finger-grooves.

swmodel66_02w.jpg
    (not my pic)

I second the recommendation for physical therapy. If that doesn't cut it, you may want to talk to some docs and see if they can do anything. Surgery sucks, but it can help in the mid to long term.

3 1/2 years ago I tore up my right shoulder. 2 surgeries and 3 years of physical therapy I still have limited use of my right arm (I'm right handed).

During that time, I gave up rifle and shotgun and forced myself to shoot handgun left handed. I even qualified with my sheriff's reserve left handed.
    My point is that it is not "fun", but necessary if I am going to continue to carry a handgun for self defense. There are compromises that will have to be made between your personal "ideal" and the reality of your physical limitations.

Some of my personal experience:
    I have walked with a cane for almost 18 years. Normally it was in my right hand. Now I am unable to support myself with that shoulder, so had to learn to use it left handed. At first I was clumsy, but it became easier with time and practice.

This past winter, I picked up a rifle once again, .22lr and 45lc, and have done fairly well. Not sure if I will ever go back to shoulder firing a shotgun.

Just my two bits worth.

I pray you find a solution that will work for you.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Thanks for all the help. I will try to work on one handed shooting. I only have a subcompact right now that I can't get a decent grip on.

I had a few options in mind, a nice revolver was definitely one of them.

I honestly don't know how to get info on physical therapy. It was long ago, and my PT then only took away the constant shoulder pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links