Sccy cpx-2

Sccy cpx-2

This is a discussion on Sccy cpx-2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry rotation (lately) is a Glock 31, 32, and an RIA 1911. I have quite a few handguns and while going through them ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Philly Boy
  • 1 Post By Boomer928

Thread: Sccy cpx-2

Sccy cpx-2

My primary carry rotation (lately) is a Glock 31, 32, and an RIA 1911.

I have quite a few handguns and while going through them about a month or two ago, I noticed something I wanted to change.. me having only two 9mm's and none of I like for carry (IWI Desert Eagle, S&W). I'm a fan of the 9mm round but for some reason I just never happened to acquire one I liked for EDC.

I did lots of searching and happened to come across the affordable and said to be of decent quality SCCY CPX-2. I stopped in the LGS today just to say hello to the owner (and good friend) and low and behold, there he had two-tone one. This was also the first time I've ever seen one in person. I liked the way it felt in my hand and the pinky extension made it just barely fit too. NIB, $250. I put half down tonight and will pick it up on Friday.

Of course, this will be to cover my 9mm carrying needs and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with it. Plus, it'll be something new (carrying a 9mm) in my carry world which adds it's own bit of excitement too.

Does anybody here have any personal experience with one? If so, how do you like it? Any con's for you? Reliable ammo you found? Holster suggestions? Ya, I know I'm asking for everything but the kitchen sink.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I had one and liked it EXCEPT I like to be able to take my guns to the range and not feel like I was torturing myself! Nifty gun but way too snappy for me. You may not feel the same and just might love it: I hope you do. It came with two 10 rd. mags, pinky extensions, and a guarantee that follows the gun, not the owner. Maybe I should have kept it, but got a Taurus 709 Slim and that was a step up, I thought: adjustable rear sights, two mags and a SS slide. Try one out if you can find one and... good luck!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I like the one I have and use. The 10 round mags are definitely better than the 6 round mags for the DB9 I also have and carry but of course the SCCY is also larger. It's very light so it doesn't surprise me someone would find it snappy. I would like to see the fit of the slide and carrier to be tighter but it is what it is and it does work. It had a bit of trouble with some old ammo I had around but seemed to be ok with anything else I used. It has second strike capability and DAO with a remarkably smooth trigger IMHO. For the price it's a decent gun. I do think it would be better to get something of better quality as an EDC.

I've been looking for my next 9mm pocket carry even though I use IWB and/or ankle carry. I'd like a Kimber Solo but might have to settle for something less expensive if I don't want to wait a while. Maybe a Kahr CM9, Walther PPS, S&W Shield, or even a Detonics Pocket 9 from 1985. Either way it will be a single stack 9mm just for concealment sake. I'd really like to see Glock come out with another baby glock but in a single stack 9. XD is coming out with one toward the end of the year. Maybe I will wait and get it.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Well, I finally picked it up today. Unfortunately, I only had enough time drop it off at home (didn't want to leave it in the car) before I started the rest of errands.

BBQ later at my parents house with my sister and her fiance so we'll all be doing some shooting before we crack any cans or bottles open. Sure hope my experience with it is equal to the positive reviews I've been reading! Will report back later.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I stopped back home and had just enough time to run 4 mags through it (2 mags that came with it x 2). I did one mag of re-man ammo, one that wasn't, and two mags of JHP made by a local operation.

All went through flawlessly. I was very surprised about the perceived recoil. I had expected it to have some ummph to it considering the small package. The best I can describe it is.. it felt pretty much the same as shooting my Ruger MK3 recoil wise. It didn't shoot high or low, just straight.

Heading back home now then to meet up with the rest of the family for our early Father's Day celebration and will report back later with more details for anybody who may also be considering this weapon. When I get there, my sister, her fiance, my mother, and my father will be helping with the 300 round break in. Gotta love family!

As you can see form my sig, I only have two guns. My SCCY is my EDC and I love it. I have about 300 rounds through it so far with no FTF FTE or anything else to report except it fires every time I pull the trigger. I carry it in a Smart Carry AIWB and can almost forget it is there.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I look at small cc pistols a bit different. It does not need to be easy or comfortable to shoot. Just manageable. There not mean to be range guns. Shoot a few hundred rounds over as long as it take you to proof a new handgun and carry it. Shoot it enough monthly to stay in tune with it. Maybe 25 to 50 rounds and carry it. I don't feel sccy cpx-2 are hard to shot well as a CC handgun.They have much in common with the KT P-11 as they sccy owners came from KT. Price is right on them. They are softer to shot than the p-11 but < and I may be wrong , there not +P rated like the p-11. It is nice on both pistols are able to use a s&w model 59 mag as a back up. That's 15 rounds at the ready. The cpx-2 is a nicely finished handgun in the right price range and seems to run well.

Just remember , with small pistols, ammo can be a cause for any issues followed by a novice shooter to small handguns.

I have a CPX-2 carry it everyday and at present I have over 2000 rds through it without a hitch. I purchased it with the intention of carrying it in the summer but liked it so much I put my other carry guns away and this is the one I carry.
    Max
    USCG Ret.

Sponsored Links