Traded my Taurus PT145 for a Taurus 617 .357Magnum 2"

This is a discussion on Traded my Taurus PT145 for a Taurus 617 .357Magnum 2" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I traded my Taurus PT145 with stuff for a Taurus 617 .357mag 2" beauty. SS and blued, this will be first Revolver Ownership and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bcvojak

Thread: Traded my Taurus PT145 for a Taurus 617 .357Magnum 2"

Traded my Taurus PT145 for a Taurus 617 .357Magnum 2"

So, I traded my Taurus PT145 with stuff for a Taurus 617 .357mag 2" beauty. SS and blued, this will be first Revolver Ownership and would like to know what I want to use for practice and best for SD as this will be my new CCW of choice (As long as I can fire it well enough).

I see you can use .38sc / .38lc / .38sp / and .357mag in this puppy, is that true and any problems firing one from the other? I am glad it is the heavier Steel model and not the Titanium, to help manage recoil if I decide to choose .357mag for SD, what expansion and non-over-penetrating options should I be looking at? Every video of .357mag just seems to blast through 25" + of ballictics material. IO have read ona few sites that. "A hot .38sp +p JHP would probably be the best bet, if not the best bet for any center-fire pistol cartridge for self defense." If that is true, then I will just stock up on that and use some .357mag's for the fun factor blowing cinder blocks up.

One more Q, so the .38 series is just a 9mm on steroids or is this all wrong?

Thanks for checking in and seeing where my Taurus life is headed now.

What JHP or JSP has the best expansion in .357mag or .38sp for a 2" barrel?

DSCN6479.jpg
    Last edited by TopGunRMNP; June 11th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Speer 38 special + P for short barrel is going to be the best round IMHO... Its what i carry in all my snubs. Good luck with it. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I carry a Taurus model 606 revolver at times. I use 38 special + P. HPR, JHP. when in the city, but I bump up to the HPR .357 mag rounds when out in the woods.

Does the 617 have a ported barrel??. If so make double sure you shoot with ear protection. My 606 is so loud it hurts.

Non-Ported Barrel, 7-shooter. I love the grip, solid feel, and action of it. I tend to go to Yellowstone a lot and do not necessarily want to kill bears, I love them. I would probably waste 2 rds (if I could) trying to scare the fella even though firing your weapon within the NP is forbidden, but you can carry one... Sounds like some Feinstein ****. Anywhore, I have advice ona great, reliable, and expanding .38 +P // Now I need a great, reliable, expanding .357mag for outdoors.

I still use the 158 grain +P semi-jacketed with exposed lead.

Expands well even out of a short barrel.

Now days there is plenty of great SD ammo to choose from.
    TopGunRMNP and bmcgilvray like this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

I carry 125g. Corbon or 125g. Federal Classic JHP in my 617. It handles 357 mag ammo with ease. I have the Ribber Grip on mine. Since it became my Wife's CCW Gun it is loaded with Gold Dot 135g. 38+P. Good Gun, accurate, easy to carry, nice trigger, and fun to shoot.

For ammo I'd use anything with the word Magnum preceeded by the numbers .357.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by TopGunRMNP View Post
    I see you can use .38sc / .38lc / .38sp / and .357mag in this puppy, is that true and any problems firing one from the other?

One more Q, so the .38 series is just a 9mm on steroids or is this all wrong?
    It's mind-blowing, but .38, .357, and 9mm all have the same bullet diameter. The differences are in casing length and bullet weight. Since the .357Mag is the longest, a revolver chambered for .357Mag can shoot any .38 revolver ammo. .38Special and .357Magnum are by far the most common revolver ammo.

It's a gross oversimplification to say that the .38 is a "9mm on steroids"--ballistics depend on barrel length, rifling, powder amount and composition, bullet weight, etc. I recommend checkinig out the Ballistics by the Inch website for more specifics.

The 9mm has a longer case than .380ACP and the bullet shape is less blunt, so it tends to be faster and have more energy. Apparently, modern gunpowder formulation is closing the gap, though. .38Special and 9mm have ballistics that are arguably comparable. The .357Magnum is noticeably longer and has a much larger powder charge, so much more energy and recoil.

Cartridges designed for autos are a different shape than revolver ammo--especially at the rim--so you can't normally shoot them in a revolver. I have seen revolvers with a special adapter that allows you to load 9mm into the cylinder without them dropping all the way thru.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Links