7 or 8 round magazines?

This is a discussion on 7 or 8 round magazines? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, I know a lot of diehard 1911 guys will say JMB designed this pistol for 7 not 8 in the mag but, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 7 or 8 round magazines?

7 or 8 round magazines?

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of diehard 1911 guys will say JMB designed this pistol for 7 not 8 in the mag but,
    I was curious anyone here have both? Have you noticed a difference in failures? Here in NY we can only
    Have 7 anyway. All mine are 8 thinking about buying some new 7's.

Thanks for any & all comments,
    Mike

2. Remove Ads

Tripp (Cobra) 7 round magazines have proven reliable in my pistols (can't say the same for various 8 rounders) so I use Tripp 7 round mags.
    Tripp makes an 8 round magazine but I've never tried it because I like (only buy / use) flush fitting magazines.
    OD* likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I use a 7 round mag in my Kimber + 1 in the chamber and a extra mag in my pocket.

Sorry, can't help, my only 1911 is a 14+1
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've used them both.

With "cheap" magazines, I would say that I have seen more issues with 8's than 7's.

However, with quality mags...not as much, but perhaps more with 8's.

Buy a few good ones (Wilson, etc) and see how your pistol likes 'em would be my best advice.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by tanninman View Post
    Hey Guys,

I know a lot of diehard 1911 guys will say JMB designed this pistol for 7 not 8 in the mag but,
    I was curious anyone here have both? Have you noticed a difference in failures? Here in NY we can only
    Have 7 anyway. All mine are 8 thinking about buying some new 7's.

Thanks for any & all comments,
    Mike
    I have never had any flush fitting 8 rounders that I've been completely happy with. To fit 8 cartridges in a space that was originally designed for 7, you have to change something, normally they shorten the leg on the follower, which can lead to the follower tilting, and they shorten the magazine spring which can effect the timing of the 1911's feed cycle. I have bought a number of 8 rounders in the past, they've all been converted to 7 rounders.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have Colt 8 rounders supplied with the gun. Other than a issue with defective springs( which Colt took care of) I have had no issues with them so far.

But to be honest, I use 47D's for serious carry and use the factory 8 rounders for range work.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

At first, like others on here, I preferred a flush fit. Kimber has the 8 round tac magazine, which essentially worked the same way as 7 + 1 in the chamber for my pro carry II b/c I can't insert the TAC 8-round mag in without the slide being open. In the first 500 rounds, I did experience two failures with the Kimber (both the 7 round that came with the gun, and the 8 round TAC). I never experienced any failures with the Wilson Combat 8s, though they were not flush. Anyway, 1000 rounds later, no failures with either in the Kimber since those initial ones, so I attribute to break-in period. I have a Sig Sauer Nightmare carry and that came with two 8 round mags. 1000 rounds through it and no failures with any of the Sig, Wilson, or Kimber Tac and they are all eight rounds. Bottom line, I've gotten over the mag being flush and have had no failures with 8 round magazines. Prefer the extra round, hope and pray to never need it, but you never know.

P.S. My colt combat commander also takes 8 round mags just fine.

I use 8 round Wilsons...

I have both 7 and 8 round 1911 magazines in .45 caliber, from various manufacturers. I tend to prefer the Wilson 8 rounders, and I've never had a problem with them. The Wilson 8 rounders extend a short distance below the gun, as shown below in my Kimber Pro.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I run Chip McCormick 8 rounders flush fitting in my Colt Commander without any issue thus far. With a government/commander grip length, I need all the help I can get to keep it concealable and baseplates push the printing just a little too far.

I carry the factory 7 round mag in the weapon because it is flush fitting and doesn't add any additional "printing" concerns. My two spare mags are Wilson combat 8 round magazines which have a 1/2" push pad. This gives me two benefits, on a reload the push pad assists in seating the magazine, and gives me one extra round in each magazine. The extra 1/2" doesn't matter in the magazine pouch, and you get the same reliability as the smaller magazine.

The gun is a Sig 1911 RCS, so it has the shorter grip.
    archercj1954 and BigJon10125 like this.

My Colt came with 8 round mag's as well, I have had no problem with them, they have been great.

I have and do use Wilson,CMC,Novak and Kimber 8 round mags in my 1911 I shoot IDPA with and never had an issue with any of them.

I would have no problem carrying with them. I do use thin rubber bumpers on the bottom of the mags which make them faster and easier to seat but they do add a small amount of length that might bother some for CCW.

Thanks for all the reply's I think In will buy a couple new Wilson 8's with the low profile pads as I have been carrying a double mag pouch & I like the little pad for a fast reload.

Thanks Again

I use 8 round Chip McCormick (one Power mag) besides the factory 8 round mags with my RIA Gov Model no issues with many rounds fired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links