Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II vs Sig Sauer Nightmare Carry

This is a discussion on Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II vs Sig Sauer Nightmare Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both models and feel safe carrying either. Just for discussion, wanted to see if anyone else has come to the conclusion that Sig ...

Thread: Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II vs Sig Sauer Nightmare Carry

Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II vs Sig Sauer Nightmare Carry

I have both models and feel safe carrying either. Just for discussion, wanted to see if anyone else has come to the conclusion that Sig Sauer makes just as nice a 1911 as Kimber, at least in these two models. The major difference for me being the factory sights that come with each. Dollar for Dollar if I had to do it all over again and pick one, I believe I would go with the Sig.

P.S. I spend the majority of my range time shooting from 10 feet and in, so keep that in mind. Any input from the long-range shooters on either model?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shaverdcfp View Post
    I have both models and feel safe carrying either. Just for discussion, wanted to see if anyone else has come to the conclusion that Sig Sauer makes just as nice a 1911 as Kimber, at least in these two models. The major difference for me being the factory sights that come with each. Dollar for Dollar if I had to do it all over again and pick one, I believe I would go with the Sig.

P.S. I spend the majority of my range time shooting from 10 feet and in, so keep that in mind. Any input from the long-range shooters on either model?
    I haven't shot either, but I looked at both as well the Sig 5" Government model, I was way more impressed with the quality on the Sigs IMO. The only issue that pushed me away and into a Colt Commander was the odd slide on the Sigs, I didn't want to deal with finding other holsters.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I don't have a Kimber, but I've never been displeased with a Sig product. If I didn't have a Rhino ordered I'd probably be getting a Sig AR or SBR as my next toy.

I can speak to the sights, but i'm probably not typical, so take it for what it's worth. I definitely prefer target sights to combat sights. I especially don't like the big fat ones like on my Glocks. I understand why people like combat sights and night sights, but I don't. By my reckoning if I've got illumination I don't need the night sights, and if I don't have illum seeing my sights is only gong to help about 15 min in the morning and 15 min in the evening. Just my opinion.

At the range I generally use the NRA 25 yd slow fire targets (@25 yds, duh), and "pretend" I'm at a tournament. When I shoot it's an exercise in relaxation. Even after 30+ years of shooting I still go through the checklist and mentally tell myself to relax my grip, breathe, hold the sight picture over the landscape, and squeeze the trigger so slowly that I'm surprised when the pistol fires... As you would expect, my groupings are consistently better with a pistol with target sights than with combat sights. I have a few pistols at 25 yds. where the term "grouping" is a stretch (like the Glock 27, which is basically a percussive Bowie Knife).

I believe that practicing shooting at the longer pistol distances for accuracy has a hugely positive effect on your shorter range CQB shooting. If you remember only one maxim from long range shooting for accuracy when you're shooting for keeps, like grip, breathing, or squeeze, it is going to impact your CQB accuracy significantly. I have found better results training this way rather than simply practicing rapid fire at shorter ranges.

At CQB ranges the sights become one of the least relevant factors (makes no difference to me if they're target of combat). I reflex shoot only, and start squeezing before I have the perfect sight picture.

Long range pistol shooting is sort of like golf for me (I don't play golf), because it can be frustrating and your form is everything. If you get passable or even good I think you'll find that your CQB improves along with it (maybe even more).

All that spewed, I will certainly change things up if the guys I'm with want to do something different, and I'll be the first person to walk over, "play" stupid, and ask questions if I see someone doing something different or unusual. Like anything else, you shouldn't let your training completely dominate your thinking to the exclusion of anything new, and you should be willing to try that thing, even if unfamiliar, uncomfortable, and a but frustrating if ultimately it improves your skill.

I suppose shooting is a bit like golf in that way, but I still hate golf!

Quality wise, I'd have to agree--I think they are equal.

However, between the two, and given they both ran as reliably...I'd likely choose the Kimber; I personally do not care for the "SIG-afied" slide, nor the external extractor. And while I freely admit that neither will effect how the pistol runs...the Sig does offend my sense of 1911 aesthetics.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I own a Kimber Pro Carry II that I believe I will own for a very long time...

I've had/have a Kimber Pro Carry 2, and a couple Ultra Carry 2's. None of them have ever had issues out of the box and the accuracy is amazing.

I had a Sig Ultra Nitron for one range session and it sucked (as did my p238). The Sig 1911 had FTF's every mag and the slide was locking open premature (no, I wasn't riding the slide lock). The accuracy wasn't as good as the Kimbers in my hands either. Too bad too cause the Sig was equipped with all the things the base model Kimbers need like front strap serrations, night sights, and crowned barrel. It looked great, but shot like crap.

After these two Sigs being complete jam factories, and the lack of a transferable warranty, Sig is off my list of guns I will ever own.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Previously owned the Kimber and received an offer I couldn't refuse, so I sold it. Currently own the sig and really really like mine. I do know that they have had some problems with QC on some of the recent 938's, where when you buy a Kimber you know you are getting a quality gun. A friend I shoot with had a 938 nightmare and his was nothing but problems, but now he has the 938 equinox and absolutely loves it.

VIP Member
    No experience with Kimber, but owned a Sig RCS. Loved it, easy to carry, reliable and accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think I'd rather carry the Sig.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I am not a fan of any SIG 1911s,the have many features that are not 1911 originated like for instance
    the extractor , slide cuts ,machining and many cosmetics are IMO Sig P220 made to look like a 1911
    I am a big fan of SIG and the 220,I own one but the 1911s they produce just done do it for me,all look fugly

Links