Smith & Wesson SD9VE:Anyone have any experience with it?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson SD9VE:Anyone have any experience with it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, At a local gun shop,there is a brand new Smith & Wesson SD9VE,including 2 16 round magazines for $326.I'm really interested in it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD9VE:Anyone have any experience with it?

Smith & Wesson SD9VE:Anyone have any experience with it?

Hi all,
    At a local gun shop,there is a brand new Smith & Wesson SD9VE,including 2 16 round magazines for $326.I'm really interested in it and thinking of buying it but want to know if anyone has any experience with it?

2. Remove Ads

The trigger on them is generally excessively heavy, with a pretty terrible feel to it.

It is fixable, but the trigger is the weak spot in the pistol.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Have had 1 for about 6 months, hundreds of rounds through it. It does have a long trigger pull, but for me it is not an issue. I've put all sorts of ammo through it with no issues

The trigger is generally considered the weak spot, as buckeye says. Otherwise, they're pretty underrated, I think. I had a SW9F, which is the old, old first generation of this model (kind of). They got a pretty bad reputation due to various problems, including the trigger, but most have been ironed out from what I read. And that SW9F wasn't all THAT bad to begin with. Dry-fire it at the shop, and if you can live with the trigger, you'll probably be just fine.

Just FYI, that price is pretty much average for that model.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

i had one i loved it. the triggers not the best but you can get use to it. it never jammed up on me and i thought it was just as reliable as my G23 & 21. its a good gun i would get it. but for like 250 more you can get a glock

VIP Member
    It is a very reliable pistol that has great ergonomics. The only complaint is the trigger but it can be made much better but not all the way "fixed".

At it's price point it is the best pistol on the market.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I like mine. It's definitely a budget s&w, nowhere near the m&p line. That said, a little trigger job has mine shooting nice. I keep it in my glovebox. Very reliable.

VIP Member
    Great gun for a great price. Only complaint is trigger...it is fixable
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I've been looking at the .40 cal model too as well as possibly the 9mm. It's always good to be able to tell folks about a fairly inexpensive carry weapon. In case anyone else was curious about the trigger kit for these; I was able to find the link below for it. Not expensive either at $21.

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid57.html
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

As mentioned the trigger sucks, but the APEX trigger makes it a sweet shooter
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    At that price it is tough to beat. My LGS has them at $380 so that is a great price you are looking at. I leaned towards one very heavily but in the end I felt it might be a little big to conceal with shorts and a T-shirt.

thanks everyone,
    I have a Glock 17,but later if my CCW permit is approved,I want something around the size of a Glock 19 but at a much lower price.So far I have looked at a Springfield XD,Beretta PX4 Storm, S&W M&P,and of course a Glock 19.The weapon I planned on using if I get my permit is my Kel Tec P11.But I'm really not liking the trigger and the snappy recoil from it.My other possible CCW of choice is the S&W Bodyguard 380.I can handle the recoil of it just fine using .380 Hornady Critical Defense ,but would rather use that as a back up.A revolver is out of the question because not only was my hand buzzing after shooting 12 rounds from a friends snubby Tauraus 85 .38 special,I don't want to be limited to only 5-6 rounds.I will see if I can test fire the SD9VE at the range before I make a decision.If not,I will just save up for a Glock 19.
    Thanks again

Buy it. I have the SW40VE. Feeds everything, no jams, very under rated pistol IMO. The trigger "sucks" is sort of relative to what you want it for. Its no better or worse than most stock DA revolvers. If SD is your primary use for it the trigger is a non issue. At any range I could claim SD at 1 to 3 inch groups are normal at rapid fire with the 40 cal. The 9mm should be easier with less recoil.
    I havent done a trigger mod on mine because it doesnt bother me and the pistol is reliable as is. Im a if it aint broke dont fix it sort of guy lol.
    If your range target shooting at distance then it might be a problem until you get used to it. Once you do get used to it then its as accurate as you are. If your used to DA revolvers again its a non issue. At that price Id snatch it up.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I own two sd's one in 9mm and one in 40. Both these guns are pre ve models but they are pretty much the same. Both guns shoot well. The only issue I have had was that the trigger pin drifted on my 9mm. I see where some say the trigger sucks, I have to disagree. Yes it's not a Walther PPQ trigger, but not many guns are, and they don't cost 600.00 either. My triggers are smooth and about 6 lbs which is about right. The triggers on my guns are lighter than my Gen 4 glocks, at least they feel lighter. The grip is very comfortable but remember these guns are not built like the M&P. Lots of MIM parts here to keep cost down. Still a viable handgun and very underrated.

Does anyone know size comparison how it stacks to the G19? It is listed as having a 4" barrel like the 19 so it has me wondering....could this be the affordable G19?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links