I'm actually liking taurus... Wow

This is a discussion on I'm actually liking taurus... Wow within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of my pistols (whether range guns or cc guns) are the higher end brands/models. Without realizing it, I have slowly been getting in to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: I'm actually liking taurus... Wow

I'm actually liking taurus... Wow

Most of my pistols (whether range guns or cc guns) are the higher end brands/models. Without realizing it, I have slowly been getting in to the new taurus cc line. 2 years ago I wouldn't be saying this, but I now own a pt111, pt145 g3, 709 slim, 24/7 .45, and the new polymer 357. I have become a huge fan of the millennium & 24/7 series. Is it just me, or has taurus really stepped up their game?

Now I still don't consider them on the level w/ the all-American greats, but I like em...

2. Remove Ads

The only Taurus I have is revolver (M85 UL) and I'm happy with it. I haven't kept track of the round count but I can assure you it doesn't get neglected. No problems here.
    Stoveman and ArmyCop like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

No complaints from me. I had a PT99 for around 24 years and once I figured out it needed 124gr ammo to run correctly it was fine after that. I currently have a newish Taurus 1911 to replace that 9mm I regret selling and only have one issue with it and it's not mechanical. On the slide the 9 in 1911 has the bottom part of the tail missing. I guess it was a Monday morning stamp job or something and no one in QC caught it. Still trying to decide whether I should spend the money to send it back for fixing or just see if a local engraver can touch it up for few bucks.

You don't suppose it would be worth more later on if I left it alone do you?
    dben002 likes this.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

VIP Member
    Lets fast forward about a year....... Then the title will be "I'm actually hating my Taurus's"
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; June 13th, 2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: went plural
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    No complaints from me. I had a PT99 for around 24 years and once I figured out it needed 124gr ammo to run correctly it was fine after that. I currently have a newish Taurus 1911 to replace that 9mm I regret selling and only have one issue with it and it's not mechanical. On the slide the 9 in 1911 has the bottom part of the tail missing. I guess it was a Monday morning stamp job or something and no one in QC caught it. Still trying to decide whether I should spend the money to send it back for fixing or just see if a local engraver can touch it up for few bucks.

You don't suppose it would be worth more later on if I left it alone do you?
    Doesn't Taurus pay for shipping and repairs? I've never had to send mine back, so I don't know.

Far as being worth more later on - I don't know if Taurus's actually rise in value.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Taurus guns aren't perfect, but what is? Colt and S&W have turned out their fair share of junk over the years, too.
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Doesn't Taurus pay for shipping and repairs? I've never had to send mine back, so I don't know.

Far as being worth more later on - I don't know if Taurus's actually rise in value.
    They said I had to pay for it be sent to them and they would send it back. The PT99 I had was worth more than what I paid for it so yeah; they do actually rise in value if you have a treasury printing money like it's going out of style. In our case it just might be but that's a conversation for another thread and probably forum. :D
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Taurus guns aren't perfect, but what is? Colt and S&W have turned out their fair share of junk over the years, too.
    And.....there is a huge difference between an alcoholic and the guy that enjoys an occasional Shot & A Beer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've really been thinking of getting a M85 UL lately. Over the years I've owned a few standard 85's (2" version), all stainless, and all were great guns. As a younger guy though I always had to have another auto, so the little Taurus revolvers never hung around. Now I'm thinking the UL version would be a great BUG or pocket carry gun.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    And.....there is a huge difference between an alcoholic and the guy that enjoys an occasional Shot & A Beer.
    One goes to AA meetings and the other doesn't?
    Idahokid likes this.
    -Evan Marshall

Administrator
    Sorry but, I just cannot let the factually incorrect statement go that Taurus firearms rise in value.
    Historically they absolutely never have nor do they now increase or rise in value on the used market.
    If you go to Gunbroker.com and use the advanced search mode and search COMPLETED AUCTIONS "Taurus" you can always find at least 100 pages of hundreds of Taurus firearms that either get "0" bids or extremely low actual SOLD prices - or low bids and a "Reserve Not Met" when they are New In Box and the asking price is MSRP or even slightly below.

The Judge seems to be the only one that ever does OK these days USED but, still does not meet Taurus MSRP.

I am not being a gun snob when I say that if anybody ever buys a Taurus firearm and thinks that it is ever going to increase in value...well, I'll just say that "it never will" and a person will always be lucky to get anywhere close to half what they paid for it NEW.

That is just reality talking and not the gun snob in me.
    I'm innocent. I didn't do anything to make the Taurus market (Used) suck big time that way. It is just the way it is in the real world.
    I am not saying that Taurus does not sell a lot of firearms. They do.
    There is a market for lower priced budget type firearms that can be manufactured at lower cost due to the lower manufacturing/production costs of using almost all Metal Injection Molded parts coupled with reduced labor assembly costs.
    My personal opinion is that even factoring in that - they are still overpriced NEW IN BOX for the firearm that you are actually buying.
    The fact that they are overpriced for the gun that you are getting is somewhat overcome by the fact that they DO have fantastic marketing strategy and folks do buy them worldwide.
    I am saying that if somebody ever buys one as an investment firearm - that individual is delusional.
    It is not me saying that. It is the market out there saying that and I am just the messenger relaying some truthful information regarding the Taurus used gun market.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    They said I had to pay for it be sent to them and they would send it back. The PT99 I had was worth more than what I paid for it so yeah; they do actually rise in value if you have a treasury printing money like it's going out of style. In our case it just might be but that's a conversation for another thread and probably forum. :D
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Glad your Tauruses are working for you. If they run like clockwork keep and enjoy them. Regardless of who says what. YOUR Taurus pistols are working and that's all that matters.

Has Taurus upped their game? Well I bought a Milpro .45 a few months back, had three range sessions with it and it was so problematic that I traded it in to get another gun lol. So no.

But again, if yours work that should be all you need to care about.

I am 3 for 3 on the Taurus firearms that I have purchased. Each one had never given me any problems. I have had a Taurus TCP PT738, PT709 which both have been sold. Currently I have a Taurus 24/7 G2 45 compact which in my opinion is a pretty sweet gun. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Lets fast forward about a year....... Then the title will be "I'm actually hating my Taurus's"
    Expected some bashing when I started this post but I think the misconception is that because I'm a new member, I'm a new gun owner. I've been collecting and shooting for a very long time. As far as fast forwarding, not all of these guns are brand new. A couple I have been using for a year. I pick up so many, so frequently, that I often lose track of how long I've had a particular pistol. I have had some serious taurus junk, but this millenium series is much different.

As for the question of "have they upped their game?", it was partly rhetorical. I owned quite a few taurus pistols that I immediately sent back, sold or traded. These guns are well built. I wanted to get feedback.

As for getting bad ones goes, I still don't put them on the same level as S&W, Colet, Kimber, etc... BUT when I'm shooting a pt145 as well as any of my other four .45's and no misfeeds, I am impressed. This all started because I had the chance to buy two for the price of one off a friend who was needing money at the time. I planned to sell them, but wanted to shoot them first. Loved the way they shot. Loved the way the kept shooting. This cycle just continues for over 800+ rounds per gun.
    Rotorflyr likes this.

That being said, I do appreciate all the feedback and opinions I'm getting. I don't mean to sound defensive of Taurus. I'd still rather carry my shield or p938 any day. But I think for some people who can't afford to spend a lot of $ on a carry gun, I would feel perfectly find trusting a pt111 once it's been shot and confirmed that it's a working piece. Thanks to all.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links